Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Light Sufficiency and Quality
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
wespastor
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.17(Wed)10:31    Post subject: Light Sufficiency and Quality Reply with quote

Some of you know about the 55G system I am planning. Some things are controversial other are maverick.
I plan to keep these, Some may or may not be OK I rather keep DSH but would like to keep the greens as well. These are the flora I a planning:

Shaving Brush
Sea Cactus
Sea Fan
Sea Lettuce
Caulerpa prolifera
Sea Cabbage
Red Galaxaura.
Gracilaria verrucosa.
Dead Mans Fingers (Codium isthmocladum).
Manatee grass

These are the Lights I plan to use:

2 Tropic Sun 48" T-8 32 Watt 5500K
2 Power Glow 48" T-8 40 watt

Is this too much like for the DSH and or will it be enough light for the flora?
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.17(Wed)12:08    Post subject: Re: Light Sufficiency and Quality Reply with quote

wespastor wrote:
Some of you know about the 55G system I am planning. Some things are controversial other are maverick.
I plan to keep these, Some may or may not be OK I rather keep DSH but would like to keep the greens as well. These are the flora I a planning:

Shaving Brush
Sea Cactus
Sea Fan
Sea Lettuce
Caulerpa prolifera
Sea Cabbage
Red Galaxaura.
Gracilaria verrucosa.
Dead Mans Fingers (Codium isthmocladum).
Manatee grass

These are the Lights I plan to use:

2 Tropic Sun 48" T-8 32 Watt 5500K
2 Power Glow 48" T-8 40 watt

Is this too much like for the DSH and or will it be enough light for the flora?

I'm not a big fan of keeping a full tank of macroalgae as most of those can be unsightly and caulerpa being illegal out here in California but if that's all you're shooting for, I don't see those lights as being a problem. You should consider mangrove while you're at it.
wespastor
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.17(Wed)12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will not be a tank full of Macro algae there will be a sufficient amount for the Livestock Dwarf Sea Horses to hook to a major requirement of that sps.

I looking for one that might be able to advise me on a balance for the light that will provide suffiecient light to keep the macro algae alive and not stress out the DSH with too much light.

There has got to be a happy medium somewhere but just need to figure it out with some help.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.17(Wed)14:28    Post subject: Re: Light Sufficiency and Quality Reply with quote

wespastor wrote:
Some of you know about the 55G system I am planning.
Hi Wespastor, sorry, but how do some know about your proposed tank?
wendyzoe
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.17(Wed)15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes, Its great to hear from you! I don't know what type and strength of lighting would be required for each of those types of plants based on a 55 gallon tank size and what strength and type the Dwarf Sea hORSES would need based on the 55 gallon tank size. Maybe someone else can chime in and help. Wink wendy
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.17(Wed)16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 watts per gall will suffice IMO since this is a reasonably tall tank (55 galls).
It is not just light Macro Algae require to thrive but NO3 and PO4 as well. Tom Barr suggests nutrient dosing in Macro Algae Tanks.
The best is to drop by www.barrreport.com and ask Tom your self or just read through the Macro Algae Forum while you are there.

I only had Caulerpa taxifolia once and had no probs growing it. But I also know folk which had problems with Macro Algae melting due to nutrient deficiency.

I am no expert in growing Macors so best is to ask someone like Tom Barr (or maybe someone on AoA had good experience with Macros to guide you)

Regards, Dusko
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.17(Wed)18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that information. But what I was looking for was more like ... Exactly what make and model of bulb and what make and model of light fixture. Further, I would like to know at what lux the bulbs are rated for. and better yet a dirct link to the item in question. As many might know that some of these macro algae need varying types of light as from plant to plant. It is not my intention to keep and raise these macro algae excep that the Dwarf Sea Horses that I plan the keep and raise by their nature need something to hook to. and I would preper something natural for them, hence the macro algae.
wespastor
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.17(Wed)18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendyzoe wrote:
Hi Wes, Its great to hear from you! I don't know what type and strength of lighting would be required for each of those types of plants based on a 55 gallon tank size and what strength and type the Dwarf Sea hORSES would need based on the 55 gallon tank size. Maybe someone else can chime in and help. Wink wendy

Hey you great to hear from you too ... we can't all know everything .. that's why I'm posting here to see if I cannot get some direct answers to the question at hand. I have listed a couple of bulbs that I think might work but I am really looking for a cheaper way out with having to resort to what amounts to shoplighting looking fixtures in my living room. As you may know I entertain quite frequently from those around my neighborhood. Sharing the simple truth of the Gospel.

God bless you
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.18(Thu)9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm asking might sound strange but, your setup is rather "odd". First off, last I checked, seahorses are pretty and all but you need "calmer" water for them but I'm not into ponies either so I'm not one to critique. Second, I keep SPS and I know for a fact that T-8 bulbs are only good for "colour" and "lower light needing" LPS and softies and plants. If you intend on keeping SPS, you may want to look into T-5's or even Metal Halides. Third, SPS do require some bit of indirect if not direct water movement; as most corals get their nutrients from the water column and being SPS, it may be hard to keep both ponies and SPS together but like I said, I'm not an expert on horses.

Lastly, don't take this the wrong way, but you might want to consider constructing a sump system instead and keep your macroalgae and ponies down there rather than the main system. That way you CAN keep ponies; maintain low nitrate levels and enjoy a nice SPS tank.
wespastor
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.18(Thu)9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help me out a bit .. What is SPS ???
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: