Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Planning a 75 gallon
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
truestar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.14(Sun)3:38    Post subject: Planning a 75 gallon Reply with quote

I've decided that after a year of keeping a couple freshwater tanks I'd like to try my hand at the saltwater part of the hobby. So I'm in the planning stages for a 75 gallon FOWLR tank.

I know that when it comes to aquariums (saltwater especially) starting big is best, so I'll be using a 75 gallon tank. I'll also be running a 30-55 gallon sump under the tank for filtration. Speaking of filtration, I'll be using live rock as my main filtration, so I'm planning on using 75-90lbs in the display along with another 10-20lbs in the sump. I'll also be running a good quality skimmer in the sump. Feel free to recommend one.

Now I'll discuss the stocking plan, let me know if these fish/inverts are compatible and if they would be too hard to keep.

1 pair of Maroon Clowns
1 Dwarf Lionfish
1 Flame Angel
1 Yellow Tang
1 Green Brittle Star
10 Hermits

I'd add the Lionfish first, then after a few months I'd add the Angel, then the Tang, and finally the Clowns. Does this sound alright? Thanks.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.14(Sun)17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and it sounds like you are thinking ahead which is very good. You will have great success with this kind of planning. Just a few comments on the livestock...

Maroon Clowns are great fish, but getting a pair can be tricky, unless you buy them already mated. Do NOT try mixing two random Maroons.

The Dwarf Lionfish is probably not the best choice for a community tank but it might work as long as the clowns are not too small and you target feed it. I think you may have a challenge feeding that lionfish, please think about this carefully. Here's more on that:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dendrochirus.htm

The Green Brittle Star willl eat your fish. Some brittles will adapt, but most starfish are simply a bad idea in most aquariums, for reasons I have listed here under Starfish (no. 27):
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17688

I think you are asking great questions, best wishes for your success...
truestar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.16(Tue)15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a change of plans, after thinking it over I've decided not to get the Lionfish. For some reason it never occurred to me that I happen to be very allergic to multiple things. I have had to go to the doctor many times due to severe allergic reactions. I doubt I'd be dumb enough to get stung, but I've done some stupid things before and no one else in the house is comfortable with the idea of the Lion (don't trust me not to get stung), so unfortunately I won't be able to get one.

So that kind of gives me more options when it comes to stocking this tank. My new idea is something like this:

1 Pair Ocellari or Percula Clowns
5 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Yellow Watchman's Goby
1 Pair Bangaii Cardinalfish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Flame Angel
2-3 Cleaner Shrimp
3 Peppermint Shrimp
Maybe 1 Pistol Shrimp to see if he pairs up with the Goby

This is quite different from what I had planned but I'd be very happy with it. If the bio-load is a little too high I'll cut out the Cardinalfish. I'm glad that I'll get to keep shrimp now at least since the Lion won't hunt them down, especially since I really wanted a Cleaner shrimp since they help control Ich I've heard. Also, what are the chances that the Pistol would pair up with the Goby? I just think that would be an interesting relationship to watch. Anyways, does this stocking list sound okay, or does it need to be edited a little?

Lastly, I've heard of people putting a refugium in the sump as a place to keep pods and algaes. I read that refugiums should have a lower flow rate, but I was going to have around 600 GPH flow rate for my sump, is this okay or is it too much flow for a refugium?

P.S I forgot to mention in my original post that I'll also have a few (2-4) Koralia powerheads in the display tank to increase water movement.
truestar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.24(Wed)17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought now would be as good a time as any to start coming up with a list of equipment I'll be buying for the tank, so here it goes.

For a skimmer, I was looking at the Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel rated for 125 gallon tanks. Does this look good to you, or would you recommend something else? I'll be running it in-sump. For a return pump I was planning on using a Mag 5.

I plan on making this a reef tank after a year or two of running it, so I'm debating what type of lighting I should get. I would like to keep pretty much everything except SPS corals. So I was thinking HO T5 lighting with individual parabolic(sp?) reflectors.

Also, does my stocking list sound okay, or should I cut out some of the fish? Thanks for all your help.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.28(Sun)18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

By my calculations, that's well over 20 inches of adult fish...
it can be done, but your skimmer will have to be very good... the Coralife usually gets good scores. ASM skimmers also get very good comments here:
http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=04-2750-1
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searchItem~IdCategory~FIPS~vendorname~All_Seas_Marine_(ASM)~vendorcode~AG.html
truestar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.23(Wed)15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been almost a year since I last posted in this thread, but thought I'd drop in to say that I bought the tank and stand today. I got a standard 75 gallon tank w/ stand, glass tops, and a single strip light for $400 brand new! I'll probably begin my sump build either next weekend or the one after. Then I'll be ready to start the cycle probably sometime around Halloween. I'm so psyched about this tank, and wanted to bump this thread because I'm sure that I'll be posting like crazy about everything that's happening in it once I start it up. I may start a new thread and make it a tank log, but we'll see.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.09.24(Thu)14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, wishing you all the best with your tank,
your research will lead to success...
truestar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.27(Sun)14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I'm gonna be building my sump soon, it's time to start buying the equipment that will go in it. I'm trying to decide right now which pump to use for the return. I've decided to go with either a Mag 7 or Mag 9.5, but I don't know if the 9.5 would be a little too much flow for the sump. The Mag 7 would give me around 450 GPH, probably a little less, and the Mag 9.5 would give me a little under 800 GPH. I plan on having an algae filter set up in the fuge, and am not sure if the flow will affect it too much either way.

Also, I'm going to be getting a Coralife Super Skimmer for the sump, but don't know if there would really be any benefit to getting the model rated for 220 gallons over the one rated for 125 gallons.

Anyways, I'd like to order the pump and skimmer this week, so any input is appreciated. Thanks.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.09.27(Sun)15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are lots of different ways to do this, you seem to be thinking about your primary sump and your refugium as the same, but they don't have to be the same. Some people utilize in-sump refugiums, but it doesn't have to be that way. You might choose to think about your refugium as a separate "refuge," with it's own rate of flow, not even connected to your primary turnover rate or primary filtering device. Here's a 3 page article from the Hauters on refugiums that may help you consider the options:
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aquariumdiy/a/aa041400.htm

Here's a good article from Calfo on macro algae filters:
http://www.reefland.com/rho/0105/main2.php

Regarding turnover, this is very important and it's a good thing you are planning ahead on this. I would definitely go with the bigger pump, you just need to make sure your overflow box is big enough to handle it; the pump, overflow box and sump need to compliment each other with regard to capacity but keep in mind these pumps will always have a lower rating under 4 feet of head pressure, and they tend to show reduced performance over time so you always want to choose more flow than you really need... more below from my archives...

Turnover rate depends on your animals and goals, for example many reef aquarists prefer at least 10X tank volume per hour (rates of 15X--20X are common). Over a period of a year pumps and filters can get clogged and slow down a lot, so you might not be moving as much water as you think. Generally speaking, water in healthy marine tanks is briskly MOVING, not stagnating---you want detritus and uneaten food to stay in suspension until it is skimmed off and removed, not settling down into your live rock and rotting in your substrate. Remember, many pumps lose a LOT of flow with head pressure, and many aquarists with stagnating setups will add some strategically placed pumps behind the rocks and increase turnover rate to help this system start "breathing" again. Read these links:
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/beginnerscorner/a/aa081399.htm
http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquarium-circulation-article.html
truestar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.27(Sun)16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, and the links. I'll go with the Mag 9.5, I was leaning toward this, and you really made a good point about the flow rate slowing over time. Maybe I'll add on a small(2.5-5 gallon) above tank refugium eventually, but for now I'll go with the in-sump style one.

Do you think it would be worth it to get the bigger Coralife skimmer, or would there be no benefit to doing it?

Thanks again. Can't wait to start the build!!!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: