Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
90g Saltwater Setup
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.12(Fri)9:12    Post subject: 90g Saltwater Setup Reply with quote

When I first got into fishkeeping, I read a very informative book about saltwater setups, which convinced me that I should go freshwater. Setting up a saltwater tank has remained on the back of my mind, however, and now that I'm downsizing in the freshwater department I'm seriously considering trying my hand at a saltwater tank.

I found a setup on Craigslist. http://duluth.craigslist.org/for/831073359.html The description says that it includes a "water cooler filter." I have never heard of this before. Does anyone know what it is? I am wondering if they meant "water cooler (chiller?), filter." I want to email the seller about the tank but have no idea what sort of questions to ask. Any help in that department would be appreciated.

The ad also states that it includes "everything in the pictures." In looking at the pictures, it looks as if the extras are basically the average "junk" that generally comes with used setups. Am I correct in assuming that I would still have quite a bit of equipment to buy? If someone could help me with what else I'd need to purchase, I would appreciate it. Very Happy I do have some extra tanks lying around (10g and 20g). Should I set up a sump? Also, would a 29g tank suffice for a QT tank?

My plan at this point is to set the tank up very, very slowly, both because my research tells me that's the best way to do it and also to spread the cost out.

Would it be overly ambitious of me to attempt a reef tank with my first SW setup? Or would I be better off with a FOWLR?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm off to the Articles section! (I probably should have gone there before posting but I get really excited when I have an idea and can't stop myself from running with it).

EDIT: Okay, I'm back after reading a few articles. I read a great article over at Reef Central. I was particularly interested in the part about "cycling a new tank with uncured live rock." I wasn't planning on introducing fish right away anyway, and it looks like the cost would be less this way.

I'm starting to compile a "shopping list," dividing my purchases up into what I need to buy right away, what can wait a few weeks/months, etc. Any help would be appreciated
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.12(Fri)10:14    Post subject: Re: 90g Saltwater Setup Reply with quote

nikelodeon79 wrote:
When I first got into fishkeeping, I read a very informative book about saltwater setups, which convinced me that I should go freshwater. Setting up a saltwater tank has remained on the back of my mind, however, and now that I'm downsizing in the freshwater department I'm seriously considering trying my hand at a saltwater tank.

I found a setup on Craigslist. http://duluth.craigslist.org/for/831073359.html The description says that it includes a "water cooler filter." I have never heard of this before. Does anyone know what it is? I am wondering if they meant "water cooler (chiller?), filter." I want to email the seller about the tank but have no idea what sort of questions to ask. Any help in that department would be appreciated.

The ad also states that it includes "everything in the pictures." In looking at the pictures, it looks as if the extras are basically the average "junk" that generally comes with used setups. Am I correct in assuming that I would still have quite a bit of equipment to buy? If someone could help me with what else I'd need to purchase, I would appreciate it. Very Happy I do have some extra tanks lying around (10g and 20g). Should I set up a sump? Also, would a 29g tank suffice for a QT tank?

My plan at this point is to set the tank up very, very slowly, both because my research tells me that's the best way to do it and also to spread the cost out.

Would it be overly ambitious of me to attempt a reef tank with my first SW setup? Or would I be better off with a FOWLR?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm off to the Articles section! (I probably should have gone there before posting but I get really excited when I have an idea and can't stop myself from running with it).

nick,

You're doing the right thing. As for the plunge into the saltwater hobby over the freshwater? Just about every friend of mine (other than myself have done what your read freshwater first and then saltwater). This is what I tell them:

First off, (and this will most likely get a lot of heat from others) freshwater can be HARDER. I say this b/c freshwater fish aren't the same everywhere you look. You can't mix discuses with cichlids and arawanas with angels or even pirhana. Freshwater fish have adapted to their environment depending upon their earthly region. Some fish like high pH levels (8.0+) and some like it very acidic (<7.0). Even mollies have been able to adapt to both and in some cases brackish. You really have to do some research here.

I learned by what I've seen of other FWater hobbyists that they tend to get lazy also. Since freshwater fish adapt easier, these hobbyist let things go for much longer. The tank gets algae ridden (fish adapt), the nitrates escalate (fish adapt), the tankwater greens/yellows (fish adapt). I've actually heard people say how proud they were when they've not changed the water in well over a year; but when they go to add a new FW fish, that new fish...DIES. Then, when these "freshwater hobbyist" attempt to dive into the saltwater hobby with these same "BAD" habbits, most of them fail.

Now...as for the saltwater hobby,

It can be tricky (at first) but once you get past the chemistry part, it's actually easier. FOWLR (what you wanted to do) is super easy. Since saltwater fish are delicate and their lifeline is dependent upon you, you'll most likely stay on top of the maintenance. Not to mention the fact that the more attractive/exotic fish carry some pretty hefty pricetags. You're not going to want to cut corners in this hobby.

Also, with the exception of the temperature condition of coldwater species, the chemistry of true saltwater is the same all over the world; doesn't matter if it's the Red Sea, The Great Barrier Reef or even Florida, the water is the same. So what, right? Well that means (in terms of tropical), you can mix all sorts together and be successful. Well, you still have to do research in terms of compatibility since you don't want each of them preying upon each other. But trust me...you'll be fine.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: