Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
White Spot on Angel Fish
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.09.02(Tue)11:25    Post subject: White Spot on Angel Fish Reply with quote

This morning I noticed a perfectly round white spot on one of my Angel's dorsal fin. It was not there last night. It isn't furry nor does it look like any parasite or bacterial infection I have ever seen. I am inclined to believe it is the beginning of a fungus of some sort since there is no evidence of an open sore and the fish is acting quite normally. The fish is still a juvenile (about 4 to 5cm long) and the spot is about 5mm in diameter.

29 gal./110 liter planted tank
pH - 6.8
temp - 78 deg. F/25.5 deg. C
ammonia - 0
nitrites - 0
nitrates - 5ppm

Tank mates - 1 F Angel Fish, 2 GBR, 8 Neon Tetras, 4 Otos, 6 Panda Cories and 2 Bandit Cories

Frozen Bloodworms 1X week; Omega One Flake, Shrimp Pellets and Sinking Wafers 6X week. Occasionally live brine shrimp but not in the last month.

My plan is to dose the tank with API's Pimafix for the next week. This is a product I am not familiar with but comes recommended by the LFS manager. I am apprehensive about the quarantine tank for this fish because the pH is currently 7.6 (male betta resides there) and I have had negative results with Angels in higher pH.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice or knowledge as to what specific malady this is, I would be very grateful. Salt used to be a "cure all" for this sort of stuff, but that was before all of these meds were available. This fish spent 5 days quarantined before being introduced into the current environment. That tank is no longer available. I keep this tank pristine with almost daily WC's (for the cories).

Thank you.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.09.02(Tue)15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd watch closely, if the spot get fuzzy then treat with an anti fungus med. I"ve had great success with API Fungus Cure, but I'm not sure what you have available where you are. Sometimes they get little damaged scales, spots, etc and with clean water they go away on their own.

Pimafix and melafix work for a specific kind of bacteria. They aren't cure alls and if you don't see any improvement, or if things get worse while you are using them, then don't wait too long to treat the fish with real medicine...

Cathy
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: