Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Best Filter for a 90 gallon Freshwater tank ?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Fletch58
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.02(Tue)8:48    Post subject: Best Filter for a 90 gallon Freshwater tank ? Reply with quote

I am new to the forum. I had tanks 15 years ago but want to get up to speed before I start one up. I am thinking of doing freshwater as its easier.
I want a 90 gallon tank and need to know whats the best filter I can get ? I wanted a wet dry but was told there is no need, comments ? I would like it oversized so please recommend what you suggest ? MY other though was if I bought the wet dry and decided to switch to salt water, it would be easier ?
How much more work is the salt ?

Thanks in advance
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.02(Tue)11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned canisters, wet/dry's, hang on the back, sponge, powerheads, undergravels, etc. and you know what? There is no "best".

The best is the least amount of money you can spend to turn ammonia to nitrite and on to nitrate and is easy access for you (very subjective there) so you can clean it often...

For me, this has turned out to be the eheim hang on the back filters.

Wet/Dry's are nice enough (pain to clean IMHO) but they are so out of favor (and doubly so in the S.W. hobby) that unless you can find one cheap I would not purchase one. I recently picked up a great used one for $75 with the return pump so I bought it... otherwise, I would have ordered a new eheim!
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.02(Tue)11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

to answer your PM about why do I like the HOB filters, eheim HOB filters have dual sponges as their media and for me that was so convenient... every week I would yank out one of the sponges, wring it out in some old tank water and put back in... kept the environment stable, filter running smoothly, etc.
Priming cannisters after plugging them back in was a pet peeve of mine.

Bonus of the canisters though is the ability to process more ammonia into nitrate than the HOBs will usually handle.

Hope that helps.
P@V
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.02(Tue)12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best filter I used for my 90 gallon community/heavily planted tank was a Marineland Emporar 400 biowheel. I know they are rated to 75 gallons, but at ~400 gph I did not have anything to worry about. They are really cheap now adays for the performance. It kept all my water properties perfect as long as I ran it.

If you are considering switching to saltwater one day I would just build a sump system which works really well and will make you life a hell of a lot easier when you switch. IT also keeps things looking really clean.

Just depends on how much you want to spend at the moment.
Fletch58
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.02(Tue)12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks,I am looking for something a bit oversized just in case. Anyone ?

P@V wrote:
The best filter I used for my 90 gallon community/heavily planted tank was a Marineland Emporar 400 biowheel. I know they are rated to 75 gallons, but at ~400 gph I did not have anything to worry about. They are really cheap now adays for the performance. It kept all my water properties perfect as long as I ran it.

If you are considering switching to saltwater one day I would just build a sump system which works really well and will make you life a hell of a lot easier when you switch. IT also keeps things looking really clean.

Just depends on how much you want to spend at the moment.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: