Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Black Moor Goldfish Help, Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
RedTiger
Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.30(Thu)20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
The normal trend in tanks is for the pH to get acidic which is good considering that the tank is probably not cycled yet. The nitrite reading, if it is accurate, is not good. Keep up the WCs they may save the fishes life. Do not be too generous with the food, it will add to the bad stuff in the water, both from the fish as waste and as the residue of uneaten food.

hi!! did a 20% water change, cleaned the gravel and changed the filter. we have this one ornament (fake aneomonie its white/pink) that always gets yellowish so I took it out and cleaned it off (used hot water and wiped with my fingers, no soap-of course.) after that, I checked water conditions.

pH at 7.0; ammonia at 0, nitrite at 0, nitrate not quite 10 so I'd say 8. its lower than yesterday. don't know if the work on tank tonight lowered it that much or if the dipstick was off a lot. either way, the water conditions look good today, right? Smile he's pretty active tonight, doing what he normally does.

I hope we can get him the bigger tank this weekend! then, really soon he'll have a roomy! Smile dang plant is looking pale so I turned on the ligth and figured that swimmey can just deal with it for a little bit. so weird that he doesn't like bright lights. if I was mean, I'd turn on and off the light to make him play a fishy version of "simon says". Laughing but, I won't do that, its just funny to think about how he moves in the dim light and then stops/hides in the bright light.

does the media ever need to be changed? (the black thing that sits inside the filter that is supposed to collect good bactria.)

thanks again!!!!
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.10.30(Thu)20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water conditions sound good.

When cleaning filter media use the tank water to gently swish out the excess grunge and put it back. Washing off the ornament is probably not required but it is not a big deal. The slime coat on the ornament is probably bacteria and adds to your tanks ability to transform the bad stuff into relatively benign stuff. The nitrates will get lower from the water changes.

How long has the tank been set up?

Do not wash or disturb the gravel. Stirring it every water change is more than enough but the siphon probably is stirring the gravel enough.

The plant should be OK until the fish eats it but if it looks as if it is really rotting, toss it, plants will absorb a lot of bad stuff but also wiil give it up all at once when it (the plant) dies.

The filter media is a large part of your bacteria colonies that do the good things in the tank so leave it alone.

I am still bemused by the light thing. You do not have superbright light and I have never noticed a sensitivity to light before. Maybe I am just not sensitive enough.
RedTiger
Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.30(Thu)20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
[Needless repetition of the entire previous message removed by moderation - MA]

I just left the media alone. I wondered if I should clean it but I'll leave it be. Smile

he was nibbling at the plant earlier but its got a lot of leafs so I think it will have some more time before its gotta go.

the siphon does suck up the gravel and then puts it back so I think it does a good job stirring it. now that I have "had a snail", if we have another snail problem, I'll just use that. replacing the gravel is a real PITA and expensive.

the tank has been set up for about a month, maybe a little longer -- I lost trade Wink.

have you ever seen a ballasted light? the 15-watt looks more like a 100-watt, its so bright! the regular 15-watt incandescent does not bother him at all. I prefer the balasted because its brightee and I can see inside better.
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.10.30(Thu)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the same gravel for decades. Do not toss or change the gravel for any reason other than changing the type of substrate or color.

I use mostly CF bulbs that I put in the AH fixtures but I have used all types of lights. I think that what you are talking about is the replacement bulbs for the oldstyle original incandescent bulbs. The bulbs that you are (I think) talking about are not that bright. Regular flourescents are usually brighter although the twisted circle type bulbs are an improvement over the older bulbs they are replacing. The incandescent fixtures on tanks were the least expensive option. Generally the flo. fixtures cost as much as the ten gallon tanks they were sold on.

Snails are interesting critters. They are not problems in tanks unless you overfeed, then they multiply like crazy. The ever foraging Goldfish will eat some but Goldfish are not as good at Snail eradication as other species. I have always had Snails and I pretty much leave them alone although I used to crunch them for some Jack Dempsys. I also fed them Weiners and Dog food too until there was only one JD left. I am actually looking for some Malaysian Trumpet Snails to stir up my gravel beds now that I have retired my Under Gravel Filters. In general a lot of Snail species are good. Some folk really dislike them.
RedTiger
Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.31(Fri)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
I have used the same gravel for decades. Do not toss or change the gravel for any reason other than changing the type of substrate or color.

I use mostly CF bulbs that I put in the AH fixtures but I have used all types of lights. I think that what you are talking about is the replacement bulbs for the oldstyle original incandescent bulbs. The bulbs that you are (I think) talking about are not that bright. Regular flourescents are usually brighter although the twisted circle type bulbs are an improvement over the older bulbs they are replacing. The incandescent fixtures on tanks were the least expensive option. Generally the flo. fixtures cost as much as the ten gallon tanks they were sold on.

Snails are interesting critters. They are not problems in tanks unless you overfeed, then they multiply like crazy. The ever foraging Goldfish will eat some but Goldfish are not as good at Snail eradication as other species. I have always had Snails and I pretty much leave them alone although I used to crunch them for some Jack Dempsys. I also fed them Weiners and Dog food too until there was only one JD left. I am actually looking for some Malaysian Trumpet Snails to stir up my gravel beds now that I have retired my Under Gravel Filters. In general a lot of Snail species are good. Some folk really dislike them.

hi! Smile

yes, I don't intend to change the gravel again. Smile the levels were so toxic, I couldn't get them down and I was just trying to scoop out the snail gunk but it was so intertwined that there was no way to get the snail stuff out without getting out the gravel. now I know to keep a better eye on it so that won't happen again! I didn't mind the snail until I couldn't get the tank conditions under control. my guess is that it was not the surviving snail as much as it was all its little friends that didn't make it and/or hatch. I did some reading and the pH levels and temp were not condusive to snail life. if it had just been the one snail without eggs and/or dead eggs, it wouldn't have been so bad.

what is a CF light and an AH fixture?

the light has two thin tubes that are in a U-Shape. maybe I can find a pic and send you the link. no, its REALLY bright -- it lights up the whole room and its as bright as my 15W fluorescent light. (have had that for about a decade and its not meant for fish tanks.) the flourescent for the fish tank was more than the tank! it was $30! I picked up this incandescent for $5 or so. the incandescent light on it is so dim, though. the ballasted light must have helped the plant because its looking better today. (that's why I bought the ballasted, it said that it mimicked the fluorescent.)

I found a site that has lights that are similar to ours. if you look at the site, you can see that those lights are brighter than the incandescent lights and some have more intensity of the others, guess it depends on how its made. looking at the brightness of ours, I'd say its as bright as a 75Wor 100W incandescent bulb.

I don't know how to upload pics so here's the link: http://www.powersavelight.CO2.nz/power_save_products_self_ballasted_lamps.htm

ours looks similar to the the 3rd from bottom (sells for $12.50). its 11W instead of 15W and the voltage is lower than mine:
12V
11W
AC/DC
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.11.02(Sun)20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the lag time in responding but this site was off Friday night and Saturday and is still very slow.

Ballasts are the usual means of increasing the voltage for flo. lights. I am not sure of what you have but the link you provided looks interesting and I will look at it in depth later. It initially looks as if they are the new replacements for the original incandescents. They are not as good as regular Flos but are better than the incandescents they are replacing.

The AH lights are Compact Fluorescents provided as Kits by AH Supply of Rochester, NY, or however you want them. The reflectors are very good and I made my hoods out of Luan and one by one half inch strips. The hood that is less than four inches includes the ballasts and they do not look too bad.

Snails, usually by themselves do not cause too many problems. Some Snail species will eat some plants but this has never been a problem in my experience. Snails are relatively benign and do not eat fish unless the fish is dead. Your water chemistry problems were probably caused by something else.
RedTiger
Members

PostPosted: 2008.11.05(Wed)22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! No problem on the delay, I couldn't get on either. Smile

I spoke with the ex owner of fish store. The tank was made a year ago, he used it for about 6 months and it's got blue latex paint on 3 sides. He said that I should be able to get it off easily. He's selling the 30-gallon tank for $5. SOLD! I'll be getting it this weekend. I'm going to take your advice and not fill it all the way, until I need to. That way, I've got the bigger tank without the extra weight. He's also got a lot of other things for sale, which is good because we'll need an auto feeder and light timer because we are going on vacation end of december.

I do hope that whatever caused the chemistry problem in the tank won't happen again. At least switching out the gravel fixed it. Smile
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.11.05(Wed)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light timer is a necessity. Get it. The new Power Strip combinations are great! My brother was complaining the other day about not being able to buy a Plain Jane Stereo. I laughed. Modern Electronics are made with all the bells and whistles contained therein because we can do them inexpensively and you need not use them if you do not want to. So everything is included, 'cause it
RedTiger
Members

PostPosted: 2008.11.09(Sun)17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
The light timer is a necessity. Get it. The new Power Strip combinations are great! My brother was complaining the other day about not being able to buy a Plain Jane Stereo. I laughed. Modern Electronics are made with all the bells and whistles contained therein because we can do them inexpensively and you need not use them if you do not want to. So everything is included, 'cause it
mandle
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.12.31(Wed)6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't ask ME this but I will answer anyways. Tanks generally look better if at least one side (back) of the tank is covered either with a background or simply painted. This helps by hiding any cords/filters/tubes etc that are hanging down the back and it also makes the fish feel safer to have a solid wall where no danger is lurking. If you really hate the painted tank feel free to remove it as long as you purchase a printed back drop to cover the back (there are some really attractive styles on sale - just make sure you measure the height and width of the back of the tank before you shop!)
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to: