Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!
 
ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Black Moor Goldfish Help, Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Author Message
Quitty_Quat
Regulars


Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Location: Ohio

PostPosted: 2008.10.20(Mon)6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
Peas from cans are probably already soft enough for the fish and it is probably loaded with salt which is good for the Goldfish.

I always thought it was the oppasite, that you shouldn't use canned veggies because of the salt and various preservatives?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedTiger
Members


Joined: 24 Aug 2008

PostPosted: 2008.10.20(Mon)18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
Peas from cans are probably already soft enough for the fish and it is probably loaded with salt which is good for the Goldfish. If the Pea needs to be cooked do so in the Microwave for several seconds , and let it cool off before feeding. One flake a couple times a day is probaby good enough. The fish will probably grow fast.

Use your siphon to do your WCs and only do about about half your gravel bed at a time. After your tank becomes mature, gravel cleaning about once a month is good.

Sand is actually good for Goldfish, especially the softer rounded types but any gravel is OK and will be a place for bacteria to colonize.

I never worry about Snails but I think most folk use a 1/20 ratio of household (no additives) bleach for about 30 seconds to kill hitchhikers on plants. I got some Pottasium permanganate crystals, many years ago, from a neighborhood Pharmacist. I have not, in many years, used any chemicals except Saltwater mix to grow baby Brine Shrimp to feed Goldfish fry. I have come to the conclusion that medicines and chemicals are better off not being used. Some plants are extremely sensitive to dipping , so be careful if you do this.

A lot of the various Algaes are not green, and different greens are common.

Decorations and decorating a tank is a very subjective and personal thing. If you enjoy something...do it!

If the fish was nibbling at you it means that it is comfortable and probably was tasting to see if you were edible. Goldfish do not seem to eat plants 'cause their hungry, they are vegetarians, primarily. Plants get eaten just because they are there.

Any leftover food can contribute to increased ammonia/nitrites in a tank as well as additional snails, so watch the feeding.

Yes, bleach (Sodium hypochlorate or Chlorine) can hurt tank critters so rinse thoroughly anything that is touched by bleach before it goes into a tank. Some folk use a strong Ammo/Chlor treatment on plants that have been dipped before they are placed into a tank.


hi!! okay regarding the peas, I'll microwave it a few seconds to get it all sterile. I hate canned peas but my son likes them. might as well share with Swimmey!

thanks on the gravel cleaning. that's how I'll do it. how long until the tank becomes mature? rather, how will I know?

I picked up some "had a snail" tonight. the plant is still in its own bowl and is now soaking in the recommended amount. tmrw, I'll rinse and put it in the tank. it says that I can do it a 2nd time, so I might do that tmrw. we'll see. given the problem from the last snail, I really do not want another. (at least not until the tank can handle a snail. and I'm proficient at cleaning the gravel properly. perhaps that will happen with the better/new gravel cleaner that I bought.)

I picked him up a top fin 100-watt submersible heater. (it says up to 20-gallons. I hope its not too much for our 10-gallon but I was thinking of when I am able to get the 20-gallon tank.) I know he's a cold water fish but I was concerned about temperature fluctuating. I've set it at 68-F. plus, when we are not home, I only keep the heat up to 50-F, which would be too cold. its too expensive to run the heater above 60-F all day!

is it normal for fish to lose flakes? he's lost a couple and another is falling off. also, he REALLY hates this one bright light that I use. he's fine when its the dimmer light but he just hides and/or sits still with the bright light. (its a 15-watt but really bright, its like a fluroescent).

AWESOME that he is comfy. good to know! Smile

my son does want to feed him more but I won't let him.

thanks again!! Smile
_________________
-------------------------------------------- Smile RedTiger Smile --------------------------------------------
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedTiger
Members


Joined: 24 Aug 2008

PostPosted: 2008.10.20(Mon)19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quitty_Quat wrote:
Cliff Mayes wrote:
Peas from cans are probably already soft enough for the fish and it is probably loaded with salt which is good for the Goldfish.

I always thought it was the oppasite, that you shouldn't use canned veggies because of the salt and various preservatives?


we add salt to the tank, so the salt must be good for them?
_________________
-------------------------------------------- Smile RedTiger Smile --------------------------------------------
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cliff Mayes
Advisors


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Location: Western NY

PostPosted: 2008.10.20(Mon)19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maturity is variable. I would guess several weeks.

Do not be too fastidious with the tank. A little sloppiness is good.

The heater size sounds OK but set it for 60 rather than 68, Most of the folk that respond here use the Visitherm Stealth. It is one of the brands that I use and is reccomended. I am not familiar with the one you bought but usually I tell people to get two smaller heaters for each tank so that each one is not to potentially dangerous as far as temperature goes. As you are feeding your fish do the hand test each day or more. By hand test I mean check the temp. to make sure that the temp does not get to far astray. Remember most tanks seem cool which is good. A stick on the outside thermometer is good and another quick visual check and is inexpensive.

What do you you mean by "flakes"? Scales are one thing and food is another. If the fish is missing flakes of food and finds them later it is OK. If the fish is losing scales, they are probably being knocked off. Do not handle the fish or disrupt its enviornment too very much. The scales will more than likely grow back if the H2OQ is OK.

The light is not too bright and should not bother the fish. 15 watts on a small tank is the normal size for that tank and would be considerd, by todays standards, very low light.
_________________
wirehair
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Cliff Mayes
Advisors


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Location: Western NY

PostPosted: 2008.10.20(Mon)20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canned vegetables are the lowest quality. As in meats, the really good stuff goes to the restaurant trade then the grocery stores and then to the packers for freezing or canning. You can beat the situation by shopping at a local farmers market and sometimes at a CO2-op.

Salt is quite often put in a Goldfish tank but plants do not enjoy too much or any salt, Salt is a necessary chemical but is still potentially dangerous, just like Oxygen and Sugars, too much of a good thing is, at times, not so good. Adding Salt to a tank is not advised. Bias against Salt is a personal thing, some folk think it is quite allright and it does have some benefit at times.

Sorry for this additional post but I did not notice the other posts before I replied initially.

n.b. If you pickup a sticky Thermometer make sure it covers the correct Temps. Goldfish do enjoy lower Temps than most tropicals.
_________________
wirehair
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RedTiger
Members


Joined: 24 Aug 2008

PostPosted: 2008.10.20(Mon)21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
Maturity is variable. I would guess several weeks.

Do not be too fastidious with the tank. A little sloppiness is good.

The heater size sounds OK but set it for 60 rather than 68, Most of the folk that respond here use the Visitherm Stealth. It is one of the brands that I use and is reccomended. I am not familiar with the one you bought but usually I tell people to get two smaller heaters for each tank so that each one is not to potentially dangerous as far as temperature goes. As you are feeding your fish do the hand test each day or more. By hand test I mean check the temp. to make sure that the temp does not get to far astray. Remember most tanks seem cool which is good. A stick on the outside thermometer is good and another quick visual check and is inexpensive.

What do you you mean by "flakes"? Scales are one thing and food is another. If the fish is missing flakes of food and finds them later it is OK. If the fish is losing scales, they are probably being knocked off. Do not handle the fish or disrupt its enviornment too very much. The scales will more than likely grow back if the H2OQ is OK.

The light is not too bright and should not bother the fish. 15 watts on a small tank is the normal size for that tank and would be considerd, by todays standards, very low light.


the light is a ballasted lamp so its REALLY bright. he hates it. but, he's fine with the regular 15-watt incandescent light.

I meant fish scales, oops. he lost a few. he did knock over the "NO EATING" sign and he might have hurt himself then. he ran into the net's handle when I was cleaning out the tank (in an attempt to get the snail gunk out). perhaps that's when he hurt the couple in that area.

I'll look up the Visitherm Stealth, thanks! the top fin is made by petsmart. I don't think it was doing a really good job because it was on the lowest setting (68-F) and the water temp was at 78-F! (I have an external sticker thermometer.) I just unplugged it. I'll adjust the heat tonight so it will turn on if it gets below 60-F in here. (I did not plan on using the heat until november or until it went to freezing or we had several consistent days of below 50-F. the gas is just so expensive right now! one night shouldn't be that bad, though. Smile

going to merge your next post. BRB
_________________
-------------------------------------------- Smile RedTiger Smile --------------------------------------------
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedTiger
Members


Joined: 24 Aug 2008

PostPosted: 2008.10.20(Mon)21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
Canned vegetables are the lowest quality. As in meats, the really good stuff goes to the restaurant trade then the grocery stores and then to the packers for freezing or canning. You can beat the situation by shopping at a local farmers market and sometimes at a CO2-op.

Salt is quite often put in a Goldfish tank but plants do not enjoy too much or any salt, Salt is a necessary chemical but is still potentially dangerous, just like Oxygen and Sugars, too much of a good thing is, at times, not so good. Adding Salt to a tank is not advised. Bias against Salt is a personal thing, some folk think it is quite allright and it does have some benefit at times.

Sorry for this additional post but I did not notice the other posts before I replied initially.

n.b. If you pickup a sticky Thermometer make sure it covers the correct Temps. Goldfish do enjoy lower Temps than most tropicals.


the sticky external thermometer we have goes from 64-86-F. it's supposed to last 3-months so we've got about a month and half left.

maybe I'll skip the canned peas and just buy a bag of frozen peas. they'll last a long time anyway. Smile

thanks, again! you are most helpful. Very Happy
_________________
-------------------------------------------- Smile RedTiger Smile --------------------------------------------
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedTiger
Members


Joined: 24 Aug 2008

PostPosted: 2008.10.22(Wed)18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the Visi-Therm Deluxe 100-watt from "That Fish Place" tonight. I liked that I could set its temperature from 66- above 80-F (not that I'll go up that high but I did like the lower setting). It looked like the stealth only had two settings and I think the lowest was 78-F. I also got a thermometer with a probe so I can ensure the water changes will have the same temp. Got some plant anchors. Swimmey's plant is just floating along. Looks dumb, Laughing
_________________
-------------------------------------------- Smile RedTiger Smile --------------------------------------------
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cliff Mayes
Advisors


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Location: Western NY

PostPosted: 2008.10.22(Wed)18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The regular Visi-Therms were what I used a long time ago. I switched to the plastic Stealth because I have observed large fish (Cichlids) bang Heaters against the tank walls and break them out of apparent boredom or anger that the heaters was in their space. It is a good heater, and probably very inexpensive coming from there. Godfish acually seem to prefer 65 degrees but seldom see that temp. One of the reason people enjoy Goldfish is the fact that normally a heater is not needed.

I got some of the digital probe thermometers a couple of years ago at an Auction and I really like them for WCs.

The fish does not care about the aesthetics of the tank, the plant is probably a future snack anyway. Be cautious with the plant anchors, it is probably better to not use them all of the time. Lead is not a good thing to introduce in to a tank, although I did use them a long time ago with no problems that I knew about.
_________________
wirehair
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RedTiger
Members


Joined: 24 Aug 2008

PostPosted: 2008.10.26(Sun)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
The regular Visi-Therms were what I used a long time ago. I switched to the plastic Stealth because I have observed large fish (Cichlids) bang Heaters against the tank walls and break them out of apparent boredom or anger that the heaters was in their space. It is a good heater, and probably very inexpensive coming from there. Godfish acually seem to prefer 65 degrees but seldom see that temp. One of the reason people enjoy Goldfish is the fact that normally a heater is not needed.

I got some of the digital probe thermometers a couple of years ago at an Auction and I really like them for WCs.

The fish does not care about the aesthetics of the tank, the plant is probably a future snack anyway. Be cautious with the plant anchors, it is probably better to not use them all of the time. Lead is not a good thing to introduce in to a tank, although I did use them a long time ago with no problems that I knew about.


hi!! I wasn't really thrilled about the lead but that's the only kind of anchors available. its keeping the plant down. I realize that fish don't care how their tank looks but I do Wink. I do like the digital thermometer. it's going to come in really handy!

the visi-therm deluxe heater can be set at 65-F so I set it at 66-F. it hasn't turned on yet as his tank has been between 70-74F. I wanted to see how it functioned before I left him in it alone. might have to unplug it tmrw while I'm at work and try it when I get back.

he hasn't been very active the last couple of days but that all changed when we gave him some shrimp. I usually give it to him once a week but it had been about two weeks.

my son thinks swimmey is lonely. I've been thinking about getting him a tank mate. the landlord did say that I could get a 20-gallon tank so I was thinking of buying the larger tank and adding a compatible small fish. (swimmey is still pretty small.) the plan would be to get a 30-gallon tank when we move. (hopefully by next year.) I do hope 20-gallons wouldn't be too big for the dresser, that's the reason why I got the 10-gallon originally. I'd like to just get 30-gallons to save myself the extra tank purchase just not sure if it will fit in here. (plus, I didn't ask permission...) if we do get another fish, I was thinking another black moor or panda moore or similar type fancy goldfish. how long would I have to quarantine the new fish? I could always use the 10-gallon but it won't have a filter because that will be going to the new tank. I would have an air pump in it, though, because I plan on buying a 2nd pump for the new tank.
_________________
-------------------------------------------- Smile RedTiger Smile --------------------------------------------
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to:  
  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2008 phpBB Group

oF <=> oC in <=> cm G <=> L