Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Black Moor Goldfish Help, Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Tari
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.26(Tue)11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not really about the need for swimming space but it is about the need for room to poop in.
Goldfish are supper messy and they need as much water as you can give them.
10 gallons is fine but not for long. Goldfish get huge.
RedTiger
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.26(Tue)20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi! the landlord "OK'd" the fish! yeah! he said that I could get a 5-gal or 10-gal tank. I really like the hexagon tanks. (assuming that I can afford it.) does it matter whether he is in hexagon or rectangular?

his white spots/fungus looks the same today. maybe after the 2nd treatment, it will get better. if not, then maybe it is ich and he'll need meds for that. fishies are a lot of work, I see. I always thought that you'd get fish, stick em in a tank and be done. (well feed em of course.) the plant doesn't look so good. I guess the meds or salt might have killed it. bummer. at least swimmey is busy doing fish things (swimming, digging).

when I go looking for a filter, I'll look for the kind suggested here. Smile
Quitty_Quat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.26(Tue)21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally prefer length over height for goldfish. I feel as they get bigger, the horizontal space in a hex tank limits how much swimming they can actually do, and with the rectangular tank it's easier to reach the bottom of the tank to do stuff like siphon gravel. But if it's a space issue for you and you prefer the hexagon, that's really up to you. As for the plant, yeah the salt might have done it in, but plants don't usually last long around goldies anyway, they're such little piggies, and like to pull up whatever they can get their little nommers on. XD
Try looking up some pics of ich, and compare to Swimmey.
Yes fish are quite a bit of work.
Granted you'll always run into someone who will look down their nose at the money you spend on tanks, filters, food, etc, and tell you all about how their grandparents or whatnot kept a goldfish in a .5 gallon bowl for 10 years with no filter or anything and it did fine, everyone else either knows those fish are one in a million (and suffered like crazy) or only know the 12 cent common fish that lived for 3 months at the most and then, 'oh well it only cost 12 cent let's get 6 more.'
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.26(Tue)22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! that pic was incredibly helpful!! his does not look like that. its more a slime and it covers most of his nose area and he's got a few spots (look like a half piece of uncooked grain or rice). they are white but not circles.

the instructions said that I needed to add more of the meds tonight (so I did). the instructions did not say to empty out any of the water but I did anyway because its such a small tank! I noticed that he is going to the top a lot. (he's not staying, just going up for a few seconds (gulping) and then going back to swim more but then goes back up to the top. the dipstick read that all is OK except its high in alkalinity (around 300ppm). that might be the salt that I added, not sure. (he got 3/4 of a tsp two nights ago. after the read, I added 1/2 tsp because the alkalinity is "OK" for saltwater. the alkaline showed as high, though. (8.6) nitrates were good. the water is "hard" but I guess that's OK since I added salt.

if I can get off work earlier enough tmrw, I can pick up the 10gal tank. I've got a different air pump that is for a bigger tank (a friend gave it to me). it's old but maybe that would be better than the one that came with the tank? there seems to be a lot of bubbles on the top. do you think that I should do a full water change? maybe put him in the fishbowl thing while I get the one with the bad gravel filter system and air pump set up?

I do wish that my son's sitter had researched before getting him a fish (and/or asked)! it would be so much better if we had been prepared. but, she didn't know. she thought that you stick a fish in a bowl and it's good to go! (she has a betta, I've convinced her to get the little fish a better tank.) I immediately started reading on goldfish and realize that it was a lot more complicated....
Quitty_Quat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.26(Tue)22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldfish do like a 'harder' water, so that's okay. The mosts important thing to keep an eye on is the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.
You'll know you've got a cycled tank once you consistantly get 0 ammonia and nitrites, and 5-20 for nitrates (any higher, and you'll want to do a water change). What brand of dip sticks are you using? I'm not familier with ones that give alkaline readings. XD
Since the tank Swimmey's in has only been up for 3 days now, it's not likely to be cycled yet, but you can set up the water and new filter in the 10 gallon (make sure to rinse both the tank and filter media out in regular water before setting it up), and once the water temp is room temp, you can add swimmey, and whatever filter media is in the current filter, just shove it into the new filter. You might want to just leave it stand running over night before adding fish and filter media, to avoid any temp shock.
By bubbles at the top, do you mean bubbles from the air pump that came with the little tank? Can you possibly find a link of what your using? It's not one of these things, is it?
Bubbles that arn't coming from the air pump usually are a sign that the fish is gasping for air a lot.
Do you mean you have an undergravel filter from the smaller tank? If you want to use that, you can, but if you get a well rated filter an undergravel isn't really necessary.
Check though that you have air line tubing and an air stone or bubble wand for the air pump, and be prepared for the thing to sound like a jet engine, the old ones are noisy. If you're going to put gravel in the 10 gal, you can consider burying the air stone, or get some suction cups to hold it in place in the tank. Also, you'll want to look into a gravel siphon (and a bucket) to clean the gravel with, and help with water changes.
Once you get the new tank all set up, you still have at least a week of daily water checks and changes until it's cycled. Weeee!
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.27(Wed)6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quitty_Quat wrote:
Goldfish do like a 'harder' water, so that's okay. The mosts important thing to keep an eye on is the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.
You'll know you've got a cycled tank once you consistantly get 0 ammonia and nitrites, and 5-20 for nitrates (any higher, and you'll want to do a water change). What brand of dip sticks are you using? I'm not familier with ones that give alkaline readings. XD
Since the tank Swimmey's in has only been up for 3 days now, it's not likely to be cycled yet, but you can set up the water and new filter in the 10 gallon (make sure to rinse both the tank and filter media out in regular water before setting it up), and once the water temp is room temp, you can add swimmey, and whatever filter media is in the current filter, just shove it into the new filter. You might want to just leave it stand running over night before adding fish and filter media, to avoid any temp shock.
By bubbles at the top, do you mean bubbles from the air pump that came with the little tank? Can you possibly find a link of what your using? It's not one of these things, is it?
Bubbles that arn't coming from the air pump usually are a sign that the fish is gasping for air a lot.
Do you mean you have an undergravel filter from the smaller tank? If you want to use that, you can, but if you get a well rated filter an undergravel isn't really necessary.
Check though that you have air line tubing and an air stone or bubble wand for the air pump, and be prepared for the thing to sound like a jet engine, the old ones are noisy. If you're going to put gravel in the 10 gal, you can consider burying the air stone, or get some suction cups to hold it in place in the tank. Also, you'll want to look into a gravel siphon (and a bucket) to clean the gravel with, and help with water changes.
Once you get the new tank all set up, you still have at least a week of daily water checks and changes until it's cycled. Weeee!

no, it's not. it's worse!! it's an aquatank desk-top aquarium. I think its 1.5-gal but the ones the I've found on-line are 2-gal. I've been keep the top off and the thin plastic lid covers about half way.
http://hawkeyeaquarium.com/setup_instructions/instr_2_gallon.html

I considered getting that petsmart one but in the 10-gal. okay, I'll avoid that now! lol. I *think* that the bubbles are coming from the air pump line. it says its an underground filter but there's no carbon or anything. it did come with a stone. I checked, its still there. good thing is that in the last hour, the number of bubbles dropped so I don't think its a worry. (again, not an expert so...) he doesn't seem to be staying at the top as much when he goes up there. he is still going up to the top, though. maybe the salt helped?

the dipsticks are by junglelabs. 6-test in one strip: Quick Dip. (junglelabs.com)
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.27(Wed)7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undergravel (UGF) filters are perfectly adequate. A lot of large fish folk use a combination of outside filtration of some sort and a UGF filtration device. UGF
Quitty_Quat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.27(Wed)11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used a UGF personally, so I don't know a whole lot, but I do know that what comes in that hex tank is not what I recognize as a real UGF.
I got my hands on one of those hawkeye hex's at my mom's office, where I cleaned it out after it'd sat at an empty desk with a long dead beta, and had been left running for months. I thought it was the most archaic thing in the world. Shocked
RedTiger wrote:
maybe put him in the fishbowl thing while I get the one with the bad gravel filter system and air pump set up?

Do you mean he's not already in the hex? I'm confused on that part.
As for the white dots, if it's not ich or some parasite, I can't think of anything else other than a knocked scale, if you just got him he should be too young for breeding spots.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.27(Wed)19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quitty_Quat;

What is a hawkeye hex? I am not familiar with that term.

I do not like Hex tanks, but they are popular. The UGF's that come with the ones I have seen are real UGF' s and all things being equal they are more than adequate to perform the task. I, personally think they are a bit small given the usual situation of hobbyists not being as attentive as they might be (myself included. It is a good thing, in a way that fish can't talk) regarding WC's and other tank maintenance...

The big advantage with UGF
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.27(Wed)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldfish can reach 4 inches in a few months or if stunted the fish can remain small. A 4 inch Goldfish is a small fraction of the actual size capability that any breed can be.

The LFS may have some idea of the provenance of a given fish. The fish could came from a farm, thousands of miles away or from a local breeder and the age, if you can get a truthful answer, can vary all over the place.

Fancies usually live about 5 years, Common Singletails can easily live 15 years or more. There is not good data on how long a Fancy can live but some folk have had them live a lot longer.

Most Goldfish start breeding the first year but most Breeders wait until a fish is 2 or 3. The typical number of Fry can easily be 1500 to 3 thousand which experienced Goldfish people cull down to a couple dozen in a few weeks. That's why Goldfish folk keep Oscars.

Goldfish are fascinating and are varied. I have been taken with them for a long time and always return. Ponds and tanks and plants are all part of it but the fish is always interesting. I have netted Feeders from a pond after 2 years that were easily a pound and a half...those 48 fish tripled every couple of months.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to: