Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Black Moor Goldfish Help, Please
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
RedTiger
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.24(Sun)11:14    Post subject: Black Moor Goldfish Help, Please Reply with quote

My son was given a Black Moor Goldfish this week. I didn't really want a live pet but we have it now and it makes him happy. The problem is that I didn't do any pre-purchase investigating (because I didn't know that Swimmey was coming). I have little clue as to how to take care of a fish. If this pet dies, oh that would be very very bad for my son. He wouldn't get over it very easily. He cried for two weeks when he though he lost his Pokemon chip, a live pet would be MUCH worse because he gets attached so easily.

Does anyone know how to take care of them?

I've figured out that they require clean water, which is hard because it sure "goes" a lot. Though he was delivered in a fish tank bowl, I learned that's a bad option if we want him to survive. I have an office desktop tank that holds about 2 gallons and has a air pump. I'll be moving him in there within the next few days. (I want to make sure that all the chlorine from the spring water is evaporated. There's also distilled water in there. It's about 50/50. I did read that distilled water is bad in the long run so I'll just stick to spring water going forward.) I also realize the small tank is not really the best option but I thought it would be better than the fishbowl. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to buy the appropriate 15 gallon tank right now. (I hope that changes by the year's end.)

I'm so confused on the food (like how much). We have goldfish flakes but is it enough? How do I keep the tank bio-acceptable? Currently, I cannot afford to spend a lot of money. So cheaper acceptable options would be great. Smile

Okay that's enough for now. If someone knows, that would be GREAT! Thanks so much (in advance)!
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.24(Sun)20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a Moor Goldfish. All Moors are black and are telescopes.

Anytime anyone gives a live creature as a pet it is bad news. Birds, cats, dogs, fish or any other living thing is not a good choice. If it is an option give the fish back.

If getting rid of the pet is not possible, eventually a larger Aquarium is better. A twenty gallon tank is not too much. Goldfish, even the fancies (which a Moor is considered) live a long time (5 to 10 years) and, given space, clean water and plenty of food, will get large. They are gregarious creatures and like more of their own kind, even though they will sometimes harass (at time fatally) other fish. Of course anything much smaller looks like a potential meal.

How much to feed is an interesting question, that has entertained Hobbyists for a long time. The usual recommendation is to feed as much as will be eaten in 5 minutes. Any over feeding will be taken up by the, almost, ever-present Snails, who seem to show up out of nowhere. Any overfeeding along with the, significant, wastes from the fish need to be taken out. You next purchase is to get a siphon to help with water changes and you probably need to get a couple of buckets to hold water. There probably should not be any Chlorine in your spring water but it is probably best to have some Prime water conditioner to neutralize Chlorine if any. No...It does no harm, other than your pocketbook, if there is no Chlorine to begin with.

Many Goldfish do quite well with just a cheap flake food, but being the mostly vegetarians that they are, a variety of foods is better. Plain old cooked, dehulled, Peas are good but Goldfish eat whatever is presented that they recognize as food.

Sorry for the long Post but you need a lot of help and this is just the tip of the Iceberg. Good luck.
RedTiger
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.24(Sun)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi! thanks for the response! Smile

Yes, buying someone a surprise pet is, well, not the best idea. Wink Returning the fish is not possible, my son is already attached. I did move Swimmey into the larger (but still too small) tank. It's a 1.5 gal or 2.0 gal tank. I added conditioner to the tank. I cannot get a 20-gal tank, landlord would have a fit! I do plan on getting a 10-gal tank, I'm trying to research my best options. I'm hoping that the 10-gal will be okay, if not, I guess 5-gal. He's still pretty small (about 6cm or 4.5" head to end tail), I'm hoping we'll be moving before he outgrows his tank (especially if I get a 5-gal). His current tank has a plastic lid. Is it best to leave that off so he can get more air? If I leave it off, should I be concerned about him jumping out?

They have these starter kits and I can probably pick one up for around $35. Alternatively, I can get the plain rectangular one for $12 and then add the filter (we do have an air pump). Until I can get him the bigger tank, I'll have to change the water often. How often do you recommend? I don't want to stress the fish out but it does need clean water. Since the move, he's been digging more and spending more time throughout the whole tank. In the fishbowl, he spent most of the time at the top, I think he didn't have enough air. I put a live plant in the new tank, thinking it would help with oxygen.

He does have a white spot covering his nose area nose and one white spot (about half the size of uncooked rice) on his back. I don't remember seeing that when we first got him. When he is not digging, he does suck on the frame of the tank. Is that normal?

Thanks so much for your help!! Very Happy
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.25(Mon)6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small inside but at least still growing on the inside is about normal for young fish so the smaller tank is probably OK for now but fish grow amazingly fast. Foraging or hunting is also normal in the fish
Quitty_Quat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.25(Mon)11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a goldfish (even a small one!) in a 5 gallon tank, you may find yourself doing a lot more water changes to keep the water parameters good. Ammonia can build up very quickly in such a small new tank, causing your fish to suffer and possibly die. A water testing kit might be a good idea, even if it's just the cheap dip sticks.
As for the white spots, do they seem fuzzy? The large one on its back may just be a knocked off scale, but with the possibility of poor water conditions, ich could add to the stress and be fatal.
If it does keep going to the surface for air, you may want to get that air pump in there to increase the oxygen in the water. Gulping air can irritate swim bladder issues, which are common in round body shaped fish like fancy goldies.
But really, don't wait for him to 'out grow' the little tank, even if it's just a plastic tub, goldfish really do need more water, especially if you find yourself doing 40% water changes just to keep the nitrates in check.
Read up on cycling a tank too!
Like Cliff said, you can make do with a flake food, unless you start noticing your fish has swim bladder issues, which certain goldfish foods can irritate.
Toss in a little piece of boiled veggie, a shelled pea, some orange, even a little shrimp or other fish every now and then to keep things interesting.
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.25(Mon)21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi! thank you! (to both of you!!) I couldn't respond earlier because I was at work. I did read the first post, though and went to the pet store. they sold me some Furan-2. I did some measurements on the tank and it was 33cm high by wide (it's an hexagon so I multiplied that by 6). I think its about 1.5 gallons. I had to divide the packet by 10 because it said one packet for 10 gallons and then add 1.5 of the divisions. it was a pain but I think it did it well. Smile before I did that, I did take out about 20% of the water and replaced it with fresh water because it says I cannot change the water for 48-hrs, making it 72-hrs total. I thought that would be too long in such a small tank. the conditioner that I added has stuff in it to help the tank so I think that's good. the round spot by his nose looks slimy now and its smaller. I did give him a little bit of salt last night, maybe that helped? he does, however, have a new "scratch" that is white on one side (along with the one on his back). whatever it is, I think the Furan-2 should cure it. right??

I will be getting him a bigger tank this week. I called the landlord to see if a 10-gal would be OK but he hasn't called me back. if not, I hope to be out of here before he outgrows the 5-gal that I'll get instead.

I gave him some frozen shrimp last night, he seemed to like that. I can give him fresh veggies? that won't hurt him? are there any types that I should avoid?

I did get the cheap dipstick water kits. not sure how good it is. when it runs out, I was thinking of getting the kind that you stick in the tank and it constantly monitors. are they any good? or do I really need the expensive chemical kind?

I will read up on the tank cycling. I keep reading about it but find it confusing. maybe if I google "tank cycle" that will help. Smile oh, he was definitely not getting enough oxygen in the fishbowl, he now spends a lot of time digging at the bottom of the 1.5 gal tank so I think the conditions are better. (not that they'll stay that way too long-- thats why I will get him at least the 5-gal tank this week. once he is better, I'll move him over.

thank you so much, again! Smile
Quitty_Quat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.25(Mon)22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veggies should be boiled before hand, since goldies don't really have teeth. There are a few things you should avoid, like avocado and I think things with seeds....
I like to stick to peas, broccoli, zucchini, lettuce, cauliflower, spinach, collard greens, oranges, blue berries, grapes, kiwi
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.26(Tue)6:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get him a 20 gallon tank at the very least a 10 gallon one. Then you need 10x gph filtration. That is the least you can get away with.
Make sure you have nothing in the tank that can damage his eyes.
Get yourself a test kit because since the tank won't by cycled you well need to keep a super close eye on the water.
Do lots of water changes until you cycle it could take a while.
Good luck
Quitty_Quat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.26(Tue)10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also try asking your local fish store for some of their filter media to seed your filter to help speed up the cycling process, and once you do get the good bacteria in your filter, make sure to transfer it all to the new filter, assuming you have a lower rated filter for the current smaller tank.

When you do look for the next filter, remember that because you're working with a less then ideal sized tank (the 10 gallon), look for a filter rated higher than a 10 gal, ideally one rated for 30 gallons.
I personally like tetra whispers, because they're a little cheaper, aqua clear, or a penguin biowheel because they're pretty nice.

And what Tari said about moor safe decorations is very correct, not only could it damage its eyes, but fancies in general are liable to catch their long fins on anything pointy.
Hah, I can talk about goldfish till I'm blue in the face. Or my fingers fall off...
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.26(Tue)11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "footprint" of a twenty is 12
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to: