Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
convert freshwater to saltwater
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
wyattdurney
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.22(Fri)21:49    Post subject: convert freshwater to saltwater Reply with quote

I have a freshwater tank that is about a year old and I am going to move the fish. What is the best way to convert it to salt water?? Just add the salt from the petstore to the water I already have?? Do I still have to cycle it if I do that?? It is an eclipse 12gallon. I already have the salt and the hydrometer and some sand. Rolling Eyes
Funky Fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.23(Sat)6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start fresh, add new water!
It's a twelve gallon which is small for a first attempt at marine tanks, if this
is your first attempt at it ?
It's not impossible but will require more attention with water quality. Bigger
the better when it comes to marine Smile

With your sand keep it low as you can, I know deep sand beds can reduce nitrates but thats a with a proper deep bed and incase it didn't work, it could cause problems down the line with nitrates etc.
My sand bed is only maybe 2-3cm deep! But it's fine! Keeps my pH up, provides just enough for fish to rummage around and easy to maintain!
Ocean Hugger
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.24(Sun)11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly I would turn that tank into your quarantine tank and but a bigger tank for your main tank, Take it from someone who has been at your spot. My first tank was a 12 gallon. I had it for about 10 months and then got a 30 gallon also. then 11 months later I got a 120 gallon tank. If you have a 12 gallon tank you will find yourself wanting fish that can't fit in your tank. so I would just buy a 50 gallon to start with you'll be happy you did
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
wyattdurney
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.25(Mon)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have two 55's but I just know nothing about saltwater and everyone I ask seems to not know. I went to a lfs and the guy I asked was more trying to take my money with sales pitches then help. Can I use regular filters like biowheels I have to on one of my 55's which is more than enough filter for that tank. Do you need all the protien skimmer and uv steralizer and what not. And where is a good spot to find cheap lights that are suitable for choral.
Funky Fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.25(Mon)14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of live rock in marine is for your biological filteration so having a biowheel won't really be needed , as down the line it might start to harbour nitrates!

I think you need to purchase a good book it will help with your questions and wonderings,I'm sure there is plenty in the USA for you to find. Others will know good ones to get!
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.03(Wed)7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyattdurney wrote:
I actually have two 55's but I just know nothing about saltwater and everyone I ask seems to not know. I went to a lfs and the guy I asked was more trying to take my money with sales pitches then help. Can I use regular filters like biowheels I have to on one of my 55's which is more than enough filter for that tank. Do you need all the protien skimmer and uv steralizer and what not. And where is a good spot to find cheap lights that are suitable for choral.

The suggestion for a protein skimmer is certainly not a sales pitch. The use of a skimmer is widely suggested in the hobby. In fact, the mainstream marine hobby recommends a protein skimmer as the ONLY filter on your saltwater aquarium. By using a protein skimmer and live rock, it is possible to maintain an aquarium with extremely low Nitrate buildup. Those systems with successful deep sand beds, such as my personal reef, function with a zero Nitrate reading.

The UV Sterilizer is a bit of a stretch, in that the mainstream hobby does not suggest a UV. However, that does not negate the benefits of the UV. I personally run a UV on my reef, but 90% of reefers probably do not. I find that my aquariums which utilize a UV are less prone to disease outbreak.

This is a very important point I am about to make for long term success in the marine hobby. It does not matter if you are setting up a reef, a fish with invert, or a fish only system. The basics of filtration do not change. The goal is a very stable environment with extremely low Nitrates. This is difficult to achieve without the use of a protein skimmer... unless the aquarium is very small, say 20 gallons or less.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.03(Wed)11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyattdurney wrote:

Wyatt: I hear you, it can be a confusing hobby and the opinions on filtration alone can make your head spin... you are getting good advice here, let me just throw out a few thoughts for a beginner...

1. Slow down and determine EXACTLY what type of animals you want to keep, THEN select the equipment they need. You indicated keeping corals above, what type of corals... are you sure you want corals, they can be a challenge for beginners, look before you leap.

2. Remember, reef tanks are not the only type of marine system, however they can be the most difficult. You can set up and maintain a basic hardy fish marine tank without needing a zero nitrate reading and with very little high tech equipment. Please read my article Marine Aquarium Myths---note Myths 6, 7 and 15, here:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=24970

3. Make your next purchase a good book, here is the one I suggest to many readers, your research will lead to success...
http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Commonsense-Successful/dp/1890087025
wyattdurney
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.04(Thu)22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. So far I have set up a 12 gal with about 8lbs of live rock and a damsel. It seems to be doing good. The rock already startded to grow purple and green algae and some kind of feather duster worm thing. It is very small I just noticed it. maybe only 1mm tall. The damsel seems to be happy too! Smile
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.12(Fri)10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyattdurney wrote:
Thanks guys. So far I have set up a 12 gal with about 8lbs of live rock and a damsel. It seems to be doing good. The rock already startded to grow purple and green algae and some kind of feather duster worm thing. It is very small I just noticed it. maybe only 1mm tall. The damsel seems to be happy too! Smile

Kind of a small tank to be starting out in the saltwater hobby but nevertheless, good luck.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: