Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
is hot glue OK
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sam_17
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.18(Mon)18:01    Post subject: is hot glue OK Reply with quote

hey I'm making a homemade in tank filter but it looks really ugly,so I'm going to attach plastic plants to it. Is it OK to use hot glue or will I have to use silicone?
________
Orion Assembly

Last edited by sam_17 on 2011.02.03(Thu)6:25; edited 1 time in total
Doc Daneeka
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.20(Wed)22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, I'd definitely go with the silicone, I did a Google search and I couldn't really find what hot glue is made of, maybe someone else knows? Silicone is definitely safe though, so that's probably your best option. Besides, hot glue probably won't hold up too well if it is cold, your water probably isn't cold enough but it might not hold it's bond very well.

Doc

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.08.21(Thu)0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot glue isn't deadly or doesn't leach anything into the tank as far as I've experienced. But it also doesn't hold very well, and under water I'd doubt it holds anybetter. It will peel right off of plastic most of the time, I have had trouble using it to seal a hole in my DIY co2 and just gave up and used silicone (till I lost that cap and just decided I didn't want to wait for the silicone to cure to make another and am currently using that blue tac stuff)
Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.28(Mon)2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Hot glue is safe. Although it will not hold up for anytime at all once wet.. When I'm making decorations/cave/etc.. I hot glue my project together, then silicone it.. the hot glue just hold everything together good until the silicone is cured. Once in the water, it flakes off, and the filter picks it up.

But in my opinion (and thats all it is....) you should get yourself some aquarium safe silicone. Its only a couple bucks more, and you have no worries at all. A little bit goes a long way. just thread a screw into the tip when you done and it'll keep good for the next time!

hope that helps.

Chris.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: