Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hot Hot Heat
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.08(Fri)1:28    Post subject: Hot Hot Heat Reply with quote

Hello, sorry I have been posting eratically on the saltwater forums lately! But yet again another quick question.

Could I place my tank in the liveing room with a fireplace? It can raise the room temperature a few degrees, but the tank is the farthest away from the fireplace as possible, roughly 13.5 feet away. Tell me what you guys think.

Thanks

29 gallon planted freshwater

29 Gallon Reef Tank
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.08(Fri)6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine in the den with the fireplace, my fireplace does not add enough heat to bother the tank. If it only brings the room temp up a couple of degrees it will be fine.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.08.08(Fri)8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be a problem I did it for years.

The bigger problem with aquarium placement is usually rapid downward temperature shifts (cooling), which can cause significant stress on tropical marine fish.

This usually occurs because the tank is located near drafts like an open window, a cold breezy entrance, or a location where the tank is getting hit with direct sunlight during the day then cooling off quickly at night. This is controlled by avoiding those locations and the addition of a heater and/or chiller depending on your situation. Of course, the bigger the tank the slower the temp shift, and that's one of the reasons we suggest larger tanks for marine systems.
Jimbob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.08(Fri)11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having problems with rapid temperature fluctuations, partly because of the position of the tank being near a window and the fact that it is small (68Ltrs).

The solution (albeit expensive) was to fit blinds to the windows and purchase a chiller unit. Outcome is a stable temperature for the tank although the room heats up quicker with the warm air expelled by the chiller.

Although it has been a significant outlay for the chiller I purchased one with a greater output than I currently need so I can use it when I upgrade to a bigger aquarium. Like I said to my other-half, honey now we have the chiller
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: