Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
cost of saltwater setup?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.08.20(Wed)8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave13 wrote:

Week 1-
*Shell grit- $25 (25 kg, medium 4-6mm)
*Test kit- $90
*add water with the salt already acquired to correct level or just under (adding live rock later)
*filters-external fluval 204 filter, once used for freshwater (came with the tank-2nd hand) is this enough? can it be used for saltwater? do I have to have a sump and drill holes in the tank?
internal filter
*heater, thermometer to be added as well..

I would suggest going with thin sand, I prefer very thin substrates (less then 1 inch) in the display. In my opinion many, many marine systems go downhill due to 3 and 4 inch substrates which become nutrient sinks, again this is debatable and only my opinion.

See my previous comment on the Fluval.
I would focus on setting up a sump and getting a good skimmer.

Quote:
Week ..(depending on tests)-
*add Live rock-$200 for a box
*lighting- struggling to find what I need and how much and where to get it without being too ripped off.. I want the live rock and I will probably add coral eventually. what kind? how much?where? sorry for so many questions on just the lighting.. here's one more but Embarassed will I need the lighting straight away with the live rock ?
protein skimmer- again, is it needed straight away? how much?, which one?. there's about twelve billion out there and I got no idea what's good enough for my tank.

See my notes and the links on live rock below, the information on live rock is there you have to read... check out the skimmers from ASM.

Quote:
Week ..?
dave13
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.25(Mon)2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mate, thanks again. don't know where I'd be without your help.
I've been looking at lights and have decided on the T5 type
there are many around for a variety of prices.
here's two that are cheap and local-ish for me
what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/T5-AQUARIUM-OVERHEAD-LIGHTING-4x39W-900-Long-3FT_W0QQitemZ310076757145QQihZ021QQcategoryZ20754QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310072049068

cheers, dave
dave13
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.31(Sun)3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello. Confused a couple of weeks in since I started the cycling process and I've found my first problem. I've added 40kg of live rock into the tank 2 days ago which I thought was sold to me as 'cured', but maybe it's not. at this moment I have the powerhead and external fluval filter running it but the tank has gotten very dirty and cloudy looking and smells quite bad Sad . the salt levels are good, the ammonia is high as expected. I'm hoping this came about from not having the protein skimmer set up before I added the rock. (the rock was fine for a day or so and then this happened). today in a bit of a panick I did a 40% water change and bought a skimmer made by dymax from the local shop. they advised me to get this one and I didn't get time to research whether they are selling me a good or crap one. if they have sold me a $#!+ one, I'll be taking it back Mad it says it'll run a 200L tank and mine is 182L with the 40 kg of live rock.

if this skimmer doesn't miraculously do the job I'm thinking of starting over. can anyone give me any advice on what's happened and/or what to do? please give me any advice. would be muchly appreciated Confused Smile
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.08.31(Sun)10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily as bad as you think. Could be normal die off of sessile inverts, sponges etc... I would just have patience and let it go through a full cycle. Give the bacteria in the rock time to process and stabilize your organic load. Do NOT add anything else to the tank for 3-4 weeks until testing confirms zero ammonia and nitrite, leave it alone. Adding the skimmer at this point will only remove the required organics you need for the cycle. Keep an eye on the water tests, do you understand the cycling process? Did you get the book I suggested... Question
dave13
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.08(Mon)22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mate I've got the book on the way via ebay Smile so I'm hoping to get it within a couple of weeks. I've noticed some white 'stuff' on my live rock. I'm not sure whether it's good or bad and what to do with it. my research last night didn't give me any help so I thought I'd put a few pics on here and see what you think.
cheers

thanks in advance for any help, dave Smile
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: