Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
cost of saltwater setup?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
dave13
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.07(Thu)1:28    Post subject: cost of saltwater setup? Reply with quote

g'day everyone Razz . I'm considering setting up a saltwater tank. I was wondering if anyone could give an estimate of how much it would cost me. if I was already to own a 3 ft tank setup with a fluval 204 external filter and heater and light that I use for freshwater. how much more would I be in need of spending? I'd like to have live coral and I assume I'll need a protein skimmer and also requirements to keep the salt levels at a premium. as you can tell I'm new to saltwater but I will be taking my time setting it up. I'd be keen on starting with something fairly simple like clown fish. I've had about 5 years+ keeping freshwater fish including discus.
the tank dimensions are 3 foot x 18 x 18. thanks for any help advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
cheers,
dave Smile
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.08.07(Thu)7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your experience you will be fine, your research will lead to success.
Overall cost is variable, depends on type of corals and animals you want, see Myths no. 7 and 15 here:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=24970

Soft coral systems
dave13
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.07(Thu)23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mate. thanks heaps for the information. it's helped a lot and saved me a few headaches and some time. cheers for the help.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.08.07(Thu)23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure and best wishes for your success...
dave13
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.09(Sat)19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I've been out for a look at an aquarium store with everything saltwater. I've got a few questions.
firstly, the owner told me I should buy the 'all in one marine filtration system' made by Aqua One. this was apparently on special from $494 to $400 ($AUS). http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2096
firstly I want to know if this system would be worth getting? or would I be better off getting another brand or get the filters, skimmer sepparately?
I just want to be sure before I go out and spend the money. my tank is nearly ready to begin. (cleaning, re painting cabinet).

I think I've forgot something but that'll do for now. Smile
thanks in advance
dave13
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.09(Sat)19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the other question I forgot. can an external fluval 204 filter be used for saltwater? that came with the tank but the fella at the shop says it won't be suitable for saltwater.
thanks, dave Very Happy
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.08.09(Sat)22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to my previous replies here, did you decide what type of corals you will be keeping? Plan your animals first, THEN get the proper equipment they will need.

I'm not familiar with that Aqua One filter, but I can tell you right off the bat, I would opt for a better sklmmer and a large sump as opposed to that $500.00 gizmo.

The Fluval can certainly be used, but cannisters are not my favorite as they usually go uncleaned and become nitrate factories. The media can be removed and the unit used for water movement, so that's one option.

Listen up---many of these decisions will be driven by the needs of your chosen animals. It all depends on your stocking plan and system goals, which you really have not made clear. (?)

But before you purchase a filter, (or anything else) here's my best advice...

Arm yourself with knowledge before you surround yourself with equipment. Your next purchase should be a good book, for starters I highly suggest this work by Fenner:
http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Commonsense-Successful/dp/1890087025
dave13
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.10(Sun)2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mate I haven't bought a book but today I bought a dvd named 'your instructional marine aquarium guide' I'm yet to watch it but looks like it will help a lot. http://www.exclusivefishfilms.com/
if it doesn't give me enough confidence on where to begin then I will purchase the book. I'm considering a sump now for sure and will give it a go at making one. if I can get one going I was planning on starting with the shell substrate only with the salt water to flow for a week and then add the rock and leave it for a week and then add some soft coral would be my best bet I reckon. as for fish, I'm definetly looking at starting with something fairly simple like clown fish and I will research what other fish would go well with them. I like the blue tangs as well but they look to be too large for my 3 ft setup. thanks a lot for your advice. some of the workers in the shop are more worried about selling their product than telling the complete truth. so it's good to get an honest opinion from someone with experience so thanks again. Razz
cheers, dave Smile
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.08.10(Sun)15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave13 wrote:
hey mate I haven't bought a book but today I bought a dvd named 'your instructional marine aquarium guide' I'm yet to watch it but looks like it will help a lot. http://www.exclusivefishfilms.com/
if it doesn't give me enough confidence on where to begin then I will purchase the book. I'm considering a sump now for sure and will give it a go at making one. if I can get one going I was planning on starting with the shell substrate only with the salt water to flow for a week and then add the rock and leave it for a week and then add some soft coral would be my best bet I reckon.

a week? uhhhh, no that would be a disaster my friend. You need to slow down and do some research on proper break in and the nitrogen cycle before you even think about adding sensitive live corals. The DVD looks good but I cannot really suggest it because I have not seen it. Also get the book I suggested (it is an excellent, comprehensive work) and save yourself some headaches and money.
dave13
Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.20(Wed)1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh whoops. excuse my arrogance mate. it doesn't help when I'm told by the shopkeeper I can start a tank within a couple of weeks. lesson has been learnt but without spending anything, luckily for me. Smile I'll be back on here when I've got the saltwater filtration started. thanks for your advice. muchly appreciated Smile
I've started writing down my steps to start the tank. thus far this is a quickly written rough guidline to getting started. well here's what I've got anyway. Cool

Week 1-
*Shell grit- $25 (25 kg, medium 4-6mm)
*Test kit- $90
*add water with the salt already acquired to correct level or just under (adding live rock later)
*filters-external fluval 204 filter, once used for freshwater (came with the tank-2nd hand) is this enough? can it be used for saltwater? do I have to have a sump and drill holes in the tank?
internal filter
*heater, thermometer to be added as well..

Week ..(depending on tests)-
*add Live rock-$200 for a box
*lighting- struggling to find what I need and how much and where to get it without being too ripped off.. I want the live rock and I will probably add coral eventually. what kind? how much?where? sorry for so many questions on just the lighting.. here's one more but Embarassed will I need the lighting straight away with the live rock ?
protein skimmer- again, is it needed straight away? how much?, which one?. there's about twelve billion out there and I got no idea what's good enough for my tank.

Week ..?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: