Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Overkill????
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.05(Tue)0:13    Post subject: Overkill???? Reply with quote

Could any one tell me if this is overkill, or to much current or to much of anything?

In a 20 gallon long.
-2x Koralia1 Pumps
-1x Either a Rena XP2 or Rena XP3

I was originaly going to get the Rena XP2, but I think I can get the XP3 for $100. Is the XP3 filter to large for my tank? I want room to add something like PhosBan and Bioballs in it. That is why I am considering the larger filter. Please help me

29 Gallon Reef Tank: 1 Black Percula, 1 TR Percula, 1 Yellow Watchmen & Pistol Shrimp, 1 Six-line Wrasse, 1 Cleaner Shrimp
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.08.05(Tue)18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you putting in the tank?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.05(Tue)20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm doing a softcoral reef tank. I havent really decided on the stocking because I'm still doing research, but I have some what of an idea.

For invertebrates I thinking 1 hermit crab, 2 Emerald Crabs, 1 Skunk Cleaner, and some sort of snail.

But the fish is the hard part. Definatly 1 Royal Gramma and 1 Firefish. Considering Damsel, Blenny, Goby, Green Mandarin, and Banggai Cardinal. But I havent diecided on which fish I'm getting. Any ideas on stocking too?

29 Gallon Reef Tank: 1 Black Percula, 1 TR Percula, 1 Yellow Watchmen & Pistol Shrimp, 1 Six-line Wrasse, 1 Cleaner Shrimp
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.12(Fri)10:40    Post subject: Re: Overkill???? Reply with quote

Liveinabox419 wrote:
Could any one tell me if this is overkill, or to much current or to much of anything?

In a 20 gallon long.
-2x Koralia1 Pumps
-1x Either a Rena XP2 or Rena XP3

I was originaly going to get the Rena XP2, but I think I can get the XP3 for $100. Is the XP3 filter to large for my tank? I want room to add something like PhosBan and Bioballs in it. That is why I am considering the larger filter. Please help me

I don't think you need a rena xp. Those things are nitrate factories just waiting to happen. Not to mention, those things are expensive. To be honest, you're better off just using live rock for biological fitration w/ your koralias and doing regular water changes. Your tank is too small to go overboard with all those components. I'd put that money you save on the rena into some T5's or better.

Also, that tank is TOO small for a mandarin.
MackEmmons
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.12(Fri)11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its best to avoid bioballs in a marine setup. they great very large amounts of nitrates.
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.12(Fri)14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I actually already bought the Rena XP2 and its functioning. I just feel better with a filter involved. But the tank is now a 29 gallon so I stuck with the Koralia 1 and the 2.

art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.12(Fri)16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liveinabox419 wrote:
Well, I actually already bought the Rena XP2 and its functioning. I just feel better with a filter involved. But the tank is now a 29 gallon so I stuck with the Koralia 1 and the 2.

Well,

Here's the thing. You're not going use Phosban in that Rena (especially if it's going to be pressure filtered). If you've ever seen phosban media, you'll know what I mean. Phosban is meant for a phosphate reactor and even then, the pump you use has to be flow-controlled to avoid tumbling of the phosphate absorbing media otherwise it will crumble within a fraction of a few hours. But in a RENA, your water will first turn brown (from the phosban) and perhaps even a little black (if you use carbon) and eventually clear again b/c your phosban media will have all dissenigrated and you'll be right back where you started.

Again, a 29 gallon is TOO small for all that filtration equipment. All you need is 20 to 30 lbs of live rock a shallow sand bed/aragonite, those two powerheads, perhaps a heater and some good lights. Saltwater is a given.

It's better to be armed with knowlege than hardware.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.12(Fri)23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liveinabox419 wrote:

But the fish is the hard part. Definatly 1 Royal Gramma and 1 Firefish. Considering Damsel, Blenny, Goby, Green Mandarin, and Banggai Cardinal. But I havent diecided on which fish I'm getting. Any ideas on stocking too?

Most of those fish can be good choices, but please make sure your tank is cycled first and avoid the Mandarin, for reasons listed here:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17688

Last edited by FloridaBoy on 2008.09.15(Mon)18:04; edited 1 time in total
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.13(Sat)10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly I already have the Rena going. Sorry about that, I just figured with the added water volume and current it couldn't hurt me. In the two containers though I'm just keeping foam and at the top the water polisher. I'm guessing thats okay?? I'm definatly steering clear of bio balls or anything of the sort for obvious reasons (nitrates).

But in a few days I play on adding a blue chromis, just so I can get things going as far as fish. And yes, I am completely convinced on not having a manadrain!

Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.14(Sun)18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I have a deliman on lights. At the LFS they have the power compact fixtures with a 65 watt daylight and a 65 Actinic bulb, along with two lunar lights and fans. The cost is $200. The other option is a T-5 36 what, one 10,000 daylight bulb and one actinic bulb for around $60-70. Which would be my best bet for eventually moving to sofy corals? (The guy there said the T-5's)

Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: