Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!
 
ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tanganiykan Cichlids in SW tank!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Author Message
fortyone
New Members


Joined: 26 Jul 2008

PostPosted: 2008.08.01(Fri)10:50    Post subject: Tanganiykan Cichlids in SW tank! Reply with quote

I read in Paul Loiselle's classic book"the Cichlid Aquarium", that these cichlids can live in SW .Anyone set them up in a SW tank?.Certainly the pH-9-is right for these cichlids.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarkLehr
Moderators


Joined: 09 Dec 2004
Location: Louisville, KY

PostPosted: 2008.08.02(Sat)16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read that they can live in a marine aquarium environment, or that they like hard water which can be achieved with the addition of salt?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MackEmmons
Regulars


Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK / Toronto, ON.

PostPosted: 2008.08.02(Sat)23:03    Post subject: Re: Tanganiykan Cichlids in SW tank! Reply with quote

fortyone wrote:
I read in Paul Loiselle's classic book"the Cichlid Aquarium", that these cichlids can live in SW .Anyone set them up in a SW tank?.Certainly the pH-9-is right for these cichlids.


I think you read it wrong. Although I remember reading that somewhere they adjusted malawi cichlids to live in a full marine environment, keep in mind that deaths were very regular and the fish were stress and not healthy looking.

The pH of a Saltwater tank is 8.3 optimally, 9 would be too high. Having a small amount of Salt in the water is different than being a full marine environment.
_________________
The Gymnogeophagus Study Group
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
fortyone
New Members


Joined: 26 Jul 2008

PostPosted: 2008.08.03(Sun)10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interpretation was a little off.Although I have read that these cichlids can survive nicely in a pH tank as high as 9,8-8.5 is fine. What he said was that cichlids are secondary division freshwater fishes whose ancestors evolved under marine conditions then successfully invaded and colonized freshwater biotypes....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marcos Avila
Moderators


Joined: 05 Feb 2003
Location: Santo Andre (Brazil)

PostPosted: 2008.08.03(Sun)11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very common mistake for people to think that adding marine salt to a freshwater tank makes it good for rift lake cichlids. We see people claiming it here on the board all the time. These species don't like or do well at all in high salinity, what they like is high alkalinity...it's important to know the difference.
_________________

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
MackEmmons
Regulars


Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK / Toronto, ON.

PostPosted: 2008.08.05(Tue)3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortyone wrote:
My interpretation was a little off.Although I have read that these cichlids can survive nicely in a pH tank as high as 9,8-8.5 is fine. What he said was that cichlids are secondary division freshwater fishes whose ancestors evolved under marine conditions then successfully invaded and colonized freshwater biotypes....


My response of a pH 8.3 is the limit for marine species. Tanganyikan cichlid would be able to inhabit waters with a pH higher than this.
_________________
The Gymnogeophagus Study Group
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
art_of_war
Members


Joined: 17 Nov 2006

PostPosted: 2008.08.21(Thu)15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos Avila wrote:
It's a very common mistake for people to think that adding marine salt to a freshwater tank makes it good for rift lake cichlids. We see people claiming it here on the board all the time. These species don't like or do well at all in high salinity, what they like is high alkalinity...it's important to know the difference.


mark,

I'm sorry to say that you're wrong. I will post a video I took while back whil in a Bay area of a store called, "Lucky Goldfish". I called it, "A flowerhorn in a reef tank". If you look it up on youtube, you'll find it. If not, let me know, I'll post the link when I get home.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MackEmmons
Regulars


Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK / Toronto, ON.

PostPosted: 2008.08.21(Thu)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

art_of_war wrote:
Marcos Avila wrote:
It's a very common mistake for people to think that adding marine salt to a freshwater tank makes it good for rift lake cichlids. We see people claiming it here on the board all the time. These species don't like or do well at all in high salinity, what they like is high alkalinity...it's important to know the difference.


mark,

I'm sorry to say that you're wrong. I will post a video I took while back whil in a Bay area of a store called, "Lucky Goldfish". I called it, "A flowerhorn in a reef tank". If you look it up on youtube, you'll find it. If not, let me know, I'll post the link when I get home.


First off, a flowerhorn is not a rift lake cichlid. Second, that flowerhorn is going to be very short lived, I'm sure if you went back less than two weeks later, they would be completely new fish. But not because someone bought it, but instead because it died.

Its science, the cells of rift lake cichlidshaven't evolved to properly perform osmosis when in higher salinities.

Marine salt will not benefit a Rift lake tang unless your water is really soft. In which case only enough should be added to increase the hardness to a more tolerable level. And even in that case, it would be better to add specific trace elements and minerals, not marine salt.
_________________
The Gymnogeophagus Study Group
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
number6
Moderators


Joined: 07 Feb 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: 2008.08.24(Sun)11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

art_of_war wrote:
mark,

I'm sorry to say that you're wrong. I will post a video I took while back whil in a Bay area of a store called, "Lucky Goldfish". I called it, "A flowerhorn in a reef tank". If you look it up on youtube, you'll find it. If not, let me know, I'll post the link when I get home.


It would be a very ignorant mistake to make that one would take an ability to tolerate and turn that into a normal event.

Convict cichlids, flowerhorns, and even a few other species of cichlid have survived experiments where they managed to live in a true marine environment. The number of cichlids that died in all experiments outweigh the number that live.
_________________
"Just don't look in my fish room honey... it's just better for all of us. "
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to:  
  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2008 phpBB Group

oF <=> oC in <=> cm G <=> L