Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
55 gallon with pool filter sand
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
harvrad2003
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.01(Fri)10:07    Post subject: 55 gallon with pool filter sand Reply with quote

I have a 55 gallon with pool filter sand, I love the way it looks however the only problem with it that I don't like is that even after an hour or so after sucking out the fish crap it looks nasty again with more fish crap. I have an AC110 filter on the back and I've been told that the filter is suppose to help suck out the crap?, is there anything I can do to help this along such as adding a powerhead filter on the back, I have another 110 in a box that will go onto my other 55 gallon this weekend but I can put it on the tank to see if it helps for awhile, I may do this anyway to get bacteria started in the filter.

Also I was wondering which substrate to use on the next 55, my wife likes the sand I had been thinking about pea gravel, anyone with experience with this and is it harder to take care of. THANKS.
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.01(Fri)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

My method of cleaning sand is to skim everything I see...then tank my hand and stirr the sand a bit wait a min or two and then skim it again. Seems that theres always some stuff hiding somewhere Smile I would definatly recommend having the extra filter on your established tank to help seed it...will make your cycle time a lot faster. Have you thought of doing a sand gravel mix? I've found that I like those the best. I've always had gravel kind of eratically placed along the back and have it wrap around onto the front a bit then have my sand toward the front...maybe sprinkle a tad of gravel on top of a little of the sand to make it look more natural.
jemsriki
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.10(Sat)6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use pool filter sand in my tanks and have read of many others doing so. I find it is just slightly heavier than the play sand so doesn't get stirred up so much endangering your filter motor. The stuff I got was very easily cleaned too.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: