Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Popeye contagious?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
leafsman38
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.22(Tue)15:00    Post subject: Popeye contagious? Reply with quote

I've had a couple of fish now with popeye and was wondering if this contagious? I don't understand why I've had this as my water quality has been good...
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.07.22(Tue)16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't contagious, it is a sign of something going on though.

What are your water numbers? How big is the tank? How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?

Cathy
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.07.22(Tue)17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popeye itself is not contagious, but as Cathy says it is a sign that there is something wrong. Are there any other symptoms like red streaks on the fish or odd behavior? The popeye is not contagious but the problem behind it could be.
leafsman38
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.22(Tue)17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a 46 gallon bowfront (unplanted)
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrates - <15 ppm
30-40 % water changes weekly or every week and a half lately (was doing 25-30% until I seen my nitrates were above 10.
I've been introducing new fish lately so that may have something to do with it. I returned my 7 black neons as they developed ick after 3 days. Treated the tank. Just seen my new dwarf gourami has some fungus around his gill so I treated the tank today. Had a bad outbreak of NTD about a month ago, I don't know if that has any lasting effects. And now I just seen I'm down to 1 cherry barb where as a few days ago I had 5. Maybe the fish that are dying and getting eaten before I can remove them is spreading disease or harming the water quality? I've had bad luck lately and I think I'll be introducing fish VERY slowly into the tank from now on. In the mean time I'm going to wait for the tank to stabilize here because I don't know whats wrong with it right now.

Could planting the tank help with whats going on? Maybe helps with water quality? I never had a problem with my planted 10 gallon when I had it as far as fish dying.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.07.22(Tue)18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plants will 'eat' up the nitrates, but those don't look to be a problem.

What is the temperature? If it is warmer than usual you might consider adding an airstone/bubbler to increase oxygenation. (Your could also lower the water level a bit to increase splash). Is the filter running well? make sure it isn't clogged or anything...

If it were me, I think I'd do 2 50% water changes per week for 2 or so weeks. Then see if any more fish die. If not, then yes go slowly adding more fish. (A QT tank would be a good thing to have around....)

Perhaps the new fish did bring in something harmful. Your fish also might not have done well with medicine used to treat the ich.

Keep a close eye on things and hopefully they will get back on an even keel again.

Cathy
mac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.22(Tue)23:19    Post subject: Hi, Reply with quote

Hi,
I agree with both Cathy G, and Trooper. I would watch you Fish supplier carefully. Are you able to Quarantine your fish?
Also I think you may not have enough air. I would give a air stone a go and see what happens.
mac
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.07.23(Wed)5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be the only time I would ever disagree with Cathy G when it comes to fish care - so take this with a grain of salt. She is one of the most dedicated and knowledgeable people on this forum but...

All indicators point to an illness introduced by new fish that is the cause of the popeye. I was thinking ammonia/chemical but that doesn't seem to be the case. I would follow all advice given by Cathy except the airstone. Even if the water is warmer, IMO lowering the temp by controlling the heater and opening the hood might be a more conservative solution to raising the oxygen slightly. I say this because, even though it seems the problem behind the popeye is bacterial/fungal in nature - it also COULD be a build up of gases in the tank. I don't remember what gases these are but I do remember that more oxygen in the water will increase the amount and possibly cause more damage.

I don't mean to confuse or contradict. I would take Cathy's advice over my own any day. I am just very conservative by nature.

EDIT: I believe the gas is nitrogen.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.07.23(Wed)7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Topper - I wasn't thinking the popeye was related to the temperature in the tank. Sorry I didn't bother explaining my reasoning but I was thinking of stressed fish, leading to weakening immune systems. Stress from reduced oxygen content due to warm temps, once stressed the fish would be more inclined to pick up whatever bug might have been brought into the tank...

Hence my idea of water changes and more surface turbulence... (if the tank is warmer than usual) No biggie though, its always nice to have more than one adviser chiming in with opinions on sick fish!

Cathy
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: