Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
135 gallon reef tank
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.06(Wed)17:14    Post subject: 135 gallon reef tank Reply with quote

its been awhile since I have posted any updates on my tank. In fact I had to start a new thread because my old photohost disappeared and left my thread with tons of little red X's all over it.
So here is an update.

Full tank shot of my 135 reef tank.
I acquired this tank a couple of years ago. I started it as a reef, then had a bad bout with hair algae so it was changed to a fowlr, then after the hair algae issue was solved I turned it back into a reef two years ago.
The tank is an oceanic, I am currently running a 30gal refugium with a mag 24 return. My skimmer is an Aqua-C EV-180 with a mag 5 pump.
The lighting consists of 4-72"vho with 2 super actinic bulbs and 2 actinic white bulbs. I also have 2-175wt mh and one 250wt mh. All bulbs are 20,000 k.
The flow consists of 2 korallia-4's and 2 aquaclear powerheads.
The livestock consists of
1-potters angel
1-striped squirrelfish
2-black saddleback clowns
1-ORA oscellaris clown
1-lawnmower blenny
1-green mandarin
1-six lined wrasse
1-rescued engineer goby
2-blue/green chromis
1- yellow tang

I have numerous coral, too many to list.
I do 25% waterchanges every 2-3 weeks, try to do every 2 weeks, but hey I'm human and tend to make it 3 weeks.
I dose 2 part B-Ionic every other night.
don't mind the pics I have yet to figure out the secret to taking good shots of the full tank.

blodhi74
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.06(Wed)20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Tank of the month stuff.
Greenthumb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.06(Wed)20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Shocked Could you please explain how you do a water change on a tank of that size? You have to make up a huge batch in a garbage can or something? How do you get it back in the tank??
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.06(Wed)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhi74 wrote:
Very nice. Tank of the month stuff.

Thanks, but I was already picked for tank of the month in Nov. of last year, here is the link to the month I won TOTM. http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0711.php

Quote:
WOW! Could you please explain how you do a water change on a tank of that size? You have to make up a huge batch in a garbage can or something? How do you get it back in the tank??

I do have a 55 gallon drum out in the garage, I fill it with R/O water and then add salt within 24 hrs. I then pump it into the tank via a mag 5 pump.
Its not difficult, just a little time consuming. The tank is automatically topped off with r/o water for evap.
I am hoping to add a calcium reactor this year so I can do away with the dosing of the 2-part. The 2 part has suited me well, but I think the sps will be happier with a more stable setup.
MackEmmons
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.06(Wed)22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent tank, I like the bright red mushrooms set slightly to the left of center.
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.07(Thu)6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time you like you can give me a shout I have a couple floating around the tank if you want one. or you could go over to Scotts and pick up one of the five I gave him, of couurse his won't be cheap.
Heather R
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2008.08.07(Thu)6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely gorgeous! I'll have my live vicarously through your reef tank. I have not the courage to start that indeavor on my own. Wink

Beautiful tank and photos.
Greenthumb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.07(Thu)16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

you seem to have lots of corals very places very close together. Do you have to worry about them stinging each other?? Or are they more docile types?? I've always thought you needed a bit of space between them?
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.07(Thu)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenthumb wrote:
you seem to have lots of corals very places very close together. Do you have to worry about them stinging each other?? Or are they more docile types?? I've always thought you needed a bit of space between them?

You definitly have to know what species can coexist with each other, all the acans on the bottom don't bother each other. None of my sps are touching yet, but I have had bad placements before where there was warfare that I didn't realize till damage was done. Generally I will move that coral to another place and it will eventually heal itself. I have only had one bad mishap where I lost one of my better pieces.
I did have a hydno coral that coexisted next to a porite for almost a year without any problems, then I looked into the tank one day and the hydno had attacked the porite killing over 50% of it. At the time I did not realize that hydnos can be voracious. So its still a process I am still learning.
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.07(Thu)20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather R wrote:
Absolutely gorgeous! I'll have my live vicarously through your reef tank. I have not the courage to start that indeavor on my own. Wink

Beautiful tank and photos.

Thanks!
Its actually not that hard to keep a reef tank, just a little more expensive than freshwater. Once you get into a good maintenance schedule it is pretty easy. I did get flustered with my first tank and turned it back into freshwater, but the colors of the fish and coral drew me back into the salt world.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: