Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
July Photo Contest "The Meek..." [RESULTS]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jusu
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.03(Sun)8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really difficult to pick only 3 out of all the wonderful pictures you guys presented here - if it would be possible, all of them would be my favorites Smile
Here we go:
1 - #13. Alex Kawazaki - Beautiful closeup, great amount of details and amazing colors.
2 - #05. Heather R - I love the way they peek out from under the leaves - looks like the loach is carefully getting ready for small reconnaissance Wink
3 - #03. tetrabarb - Great shot. I like colors - white sand, green Blyxa and dark vase - makes it simple and clear. These little loaches lined up beautifully Very Happy
Cheers!
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.04(Mon)6:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the three I think best represent the theme. The fish in the pictures are truly reluctant to be in the spotlight at any time. They are well-known for fleeing at the first hint of anyone coming towards the glass.
1. #14 - shaun - good technical shot; probably one of the better composed photos in the contest. It's a bit intuitive, and much like the themepic, but still a good capture and definitely represents the contest theme.
2. #12 - tolkien - typical cory behavior. When in doubt, bunch together under the nearest shelter and wait it out. This is a great shot, not so good technically but a good capture.
3. #07 - susankat - this shot captures the behavior exactly. I have one of these, too, and this is so typical. I have several shots of mine fleeing from me - his tail looks great.
Very Happy

There were some photos that were better technically but did not represent the theme as well. For example, Alex Kawazaki posted an (as usual) excellent shot of a ghost shrimp, but I have never known a shrimp to be shy or reluctant. They shoot to the glass the minute you show up, and are not bothered by a camera. I think that shot was well caught, but not representative of the theme. The same for Frontosa's clownfish, which seems to me to be just doing his thing, and not necessarily showing reticence, coyness, or "humbleness." This month's theme was sort of difficult to interpret, so I give everyone a *thumbs up* for their entries.
Very Happy
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.08.04(Mon)12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

#14- Great shot, it fits so well with the theme I could hardly not give it first.

#5- Knowing how difficult a kuhli can be at times, a great picture, and with the krib in it as well... yay Heather!

#17- Great picture, probably not the most shy of fish but this was a great picture and I love the scientific name meeki, fits the contest. Laughing
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.04(Mon)15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, we all keep a LOT of shy fish, don't we? It was really hard to pick, but I think I've narrowed down my favorites-

First choice- #5 (Heather R)- the two fish look like they're playing the "I'm not afraid of the open, but I bet you are!" game. So cute, and the picture is really nicely composed and clear.

Second Choice- #14 (shaun64326)- I can practically hear your fish thinking "I hope that big black flashy thing can't see me. . . " It's a lovely picture as well, the neutral gravel and rock compliment your fish nicely.

Third Choice- #16 (Deborah_claro)- That oto is soooo cute shyly clinging to the glass by the wood. I'm also really impressed with how clear the picture is, I've never been able to get close enough to the tank with a camera to get a good, clear shot of one without them all ducking for cover.

Everyone else's pictures were fantastic, it probably took me an hour to finally settle on my favorites. Good job, all! Very Happy
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.06(Wed)15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. #14. shaun64326 excellent clarity, fits theme very well.

2. #5 Heather R. Excllent color

3. #10 Good clarity, nice color.
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.06(Wed)17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 -11
2 -3
3 -4

I like the "tiny" fish surrounded by large backgrounds.. really captures the theme well for me.. I think close-ups like Alex's are beautiful but don't meet the criteria for this round. It's really a shame that a lot of the photos weren't of better quality, but I guess that's the problem when trying to take pics of "meek" fish.

-K
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.08.06(Wed)17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

My votes:

1) #17 (T. meeki competing in a "meek" theme, how perfect is that?)

2) #11

3) #12

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.08.08(Fri)18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voting closed! We had 17 entries and 17 voters this round.

The winners of July's "The Meek..." Theme Contest are:

#13. Alex Kawazaki - 21 points

#11. jusu - 17 points

#05. Heather R - 15 points

#14. shaun64326 - 15 points

The contest scoreboards are now kept online as a Google Doc Spreadsheet, visible to anyone with a (free) Google account:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pmD624-d5jMK8qXLKZseTPQ&hl=en

Congratulations to the winners and once again thanks to everyone for a very enjoyable contest! Wink

The topic is now open for participants, voters and everyone else to comment, praise, critique, suggest, thank, etc...

And stay tuned for the August Photo Contest, to be launched soon!

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.08(Fri)19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to the winners!
Heather R
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2008.08.08(Fri)19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, to all of you that voted for my photo! Congratulations to all the winners, this was fun theme. Great photo were submitted by all. Very Happy Very Happy
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: