Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My "new/first" set up
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ilikefish
Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.18(Fri)8:24    Post subject: My "new/first" set up Reply with quote

Hi all! This is my first "semi fake" aquarium, the log and bamboo wall are fake and I used the cheesey colored gravel Embarassed plants are all real and will grow larger/wider soon as they were just planted, I plan on a 55G long or a 55G corner bow front some time in the near future Wink

Last edited by ilikefish on 2008.08.12(Tue)12:39; edited 1 time in total
IrishCichlid
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.19(Sat)3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit.

Last edited by IrishCichlid on 2008.07.24(Thu)15:58; edited 1 time in total
mac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.19(Sat)3:51    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Hi ilikefish,

Interesting tank. Very interesting. I think your fish will all be pink with that kind of gravel. We have to help sort the gravel out. no insult ment. I hope you don't take offense. Good thing it has some plants. Also I love the way you have set up the wall and log, really looks good.

IrishCichlid wrote:
One of the ugliest tanks I've ever seen.

The gravel "a.k.a" clown puke looks terrible, what sort of environment is that for fish. The bright substrate will stress them out and they will not show their natural colours.

IrishChiclid. I won't get into a argument, or start insulting other members, but I must agree with you, the gravel is slightly out landish. Must say it's not my choice of colors but at least ilikefish is thinking out side the box.

Cheers,
mac

Last edited by mac on 2008.07.19(Sat)3:59; edited 3 times in total
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.19(Sat)3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishCichlid wrote:
One of the ugliest tanks I've ever seen.

That's just unneccesary...

anyway, the bamboo wall is awesome! I really like having different levels in a tank.

And the centrepeice wood looks really good as well.

Honestly I would use a more natural subsrate (I think black would look great), but once the plants grow a bit the tank will fill up nicely.

May I suggest buying some taller plants for the back, something like a bunch of wisteria would sit very nicely behind the log there. Smile
mac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.19(Sat)4:04    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Hi ilike fish,
Just so you don't get me wrong. What I mean you fish will be pink is because the color reflecting f the gravel will reflect of the fishes flanks. And once again please don't take offense. I'm not downing you. It's great to see someone thinking out of the box. Laughing
Cheers,
mac
ilikefish
Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.19(Sat)9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't worry about people (IrishCichlid included) that are being rude Smile I think, and this is just my opinion, they are rude because there is something in their life that is not right for them and they can't seem to be able to fix it, so they try to pass the misery onto others , its really kind of sad Sad but I'm fine! Very Happy Thanks to all for the comments! Good or bad Wink I mentioned that this set up was my first ever "fake" set up and that my wife asked me to do it, she loves it and thats all that really matters to me Smile I've set up many, many, natural set ups in the past and 90% of them were really nice so I plan on setting up my next tank all natural Smile but thats only because its what I decided to do from the moment I got back into the hobby, not because someone doesn't like my current set up Laughing Thanks again for the comments Wink
EDIT: Flame Angel, I actually put in some tall plants (Penny Wort) exactly where you suggested yesterday! Laughing Ill post another pic of it Wink

MackEmmons
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.19(Sat)10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent tank, it'll be great once it fills in. What kind of lighting do you have over it?
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.19(Sat)10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you don't feel threatened by other people or feel you have to change for them, I am that way too and could care less if someone didn't like my tank as long as I liked it! I am not sure what compelled irish to say those things, everyone has always been so nice on this forum...

About the tank, I can't see the pictures. In place of every picture is a white box that says 'This image or video has been moved or deleted'. Just so you know.
Also, I used to have quite a colorful tank and many people including myself would call it ugly. Bright red gravel, perfectly lined plastic plants. I would like to see a picture of some of your natural setups!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.19(Sat)10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I can see the two new pictures you posted and it is not as ugly as they are making it. The only thing is the gravel, but I really like the log and how the pennywort comes out from it. I also think the raised area with bamboo is cool!
Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.19(Sat)10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tetrabarb Smile FrontosaKing, I used the stock floro and fixture that came with the hood. I usually use all the "high end" stuff, don't know what they call them these days but back then I had "Actinic day" floros, a blue colored floro whos name excapes me, and "Moonlight" LEDS. all with timers to give it the whole "natural" effect Very Happy
EDIT: Tetrsbarb, all my natural set ups have been gone for some time Sad they WERE as follows, 1-55G, 2-110s, and a few 30G, all natural fresh waters except for 1-110G, that was a full out salt water mini reef! But that was long ago! Laughing
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to: