Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Do female bettas make bubble nests?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
araluen
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.05(Sat)0:43    Post subject: Do female bettas make bubble nests? Reply with quote

Do female bettas make bubble nests? I've read a ton of pages and haven't seen any mention of females making bubble nests so far... I have 1 male and 2 female bettas in separate tanks. I recently moved the tanks so that they are near each other, and the female near the male created a bubble nest today. She has the "white sand grain" (I think it's the egg tube??) so I'm pretty sure she's a girl, but I've never seen a female betta make a nest before.
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.05(Sat)7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible for this to happen. However, it is a higher probability that you actually have a young plakat male. They often have fake ovipositors to fool older males, to protect themselves from attack. If it has long ventral fins and a wide dorsal fin, it is almost definitely a male. Do you have pictures you can post?
araluen
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.05(Sat)13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://picasaweb.google.com/shaolinelvaan/UntitledAlbum/photo#5219611178458565586

It's not a great picture. I'll try to take a better one later today.
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.05(Sat)13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like that is a male plakat. Post a clear picture and maybe the betta gurus will help us out.

The swollen belly could be from eating too much. We'll see.
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.07.05(Sat)13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Luna, it does look like a PK from that picture, a clearer one would be tons better.
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.05(Sat)14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

A plakat as in bred-for-fighting plakat? Shocked
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.07.05(Sat)14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

araluen wrote:
A plakat as in bred-for-fighting plakat? Shocked

Not exactly. A plakat as in the short-finned betta. Plakats were (and sadly, are) used for fighting because they had shorter fins which meant less to rip at and more agile. Now that betta fighting isn't common, any plakat you pick up from a store is likely to be just as docile as any betta, but it depends on the individual fish.
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.05(Sat)18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://picasaweb.google.com/shaolinelvaan/UntitledAlbum

I posted a couple better photos of him/her. She/he was sold to me as a halfmoon female but I wouldn't be surprised if that were incorrect seeing as it was Petco or Petsmart or one of those (I know, I'm a bad person. We went in there to get a cat scratch thing and I can never walk past the bettas without buying one.)
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.07.05(Sat)19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much of a bubblenest is it? Is it a full-blown one or just a smattering of bubbles on the surface?

I can't really tell, can't see much of his/her fins from above. Laughing I do know that females possess the same gland/organ that the males have that creates the mucus that coats the bubbles that makes them not pop easily. Theirs is just smaller, when you watch them breed you will notice the female sometimes also helps in rebuilding the bubblenest or catching fry and spitting them and adding bubbles.
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.05(Sat)21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a huge thick bubblenest but it's definitely more than scattered bubbles. It's a little smaller than the diameter of an aluminum soda can.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: