Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Australian Rainbowfish fry
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Calypso
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.06.30(Mon)9:38    Post subject: Australian Rainbowfish fry Reply with quote

I have a 75 gallon (very) planted tank with the following inhabitants:

9 Australian Rainbowfish
10 Glowlight Tetras
6 Red Skirt Tetras
4 Otos
3 Clown Loaches
1 Bristlenose Pleco

It's been established a little over 2 years and we haven't added any stock since 9/1/07 -- 10 months ago -- and those were the loaches.

Yesterday while observing the tank, I noticed a small fish which I'm pretty sure is an Australian Rainbowfish fry. He grew visibly bigger over the day and is nearing the size of the Glowlights when we first bought them. I also noticed 2 extremely small fry swimming around (could only find one this morning but didn't have a long time to look).

Is there anything we need to do to help them survive? We didn't intend on breeding them and this is the first time in over 10 years of community tanks that we've seen fry.

Thanks!
Calypso
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.07(Mon)14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm replying with an update in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation.

We didn't do anything, and all 3 fish are thriving, a little over a week since we first saw them. I think that they're big enough to survive -- the largest is almost the size of our glowlights. No one seems to be bothering the babies.

We decided to hold off on routine tank maintenance until they get a bit bigger because we were worried that their underdeveloped bodies might take the water changes too hard. We've been monitoring the water quality with frequent tests, however, and would make changes if anything was going badly.

Once again, not sure if this was the "right" thing to do, but so far it seems to be working for us, and luckily we have room in the tank for 3 more Australian Rainbowfish; otherwise I'd have to look into setting up another tank!
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.07(Mon)14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really neat! I bet they are cute I would love to see a picture of a baby rainbow...hint hint.

As far as what you could have done with them, having a planted tank certainly helped them survive and because it was a mature tank, they were able to find bits of food. The only thing you could have done was move them to a grow out tank and feed them tiny live foods until they were big enough, but thats not always neccesary. If they are as big as your glolights I'm sure they are going to be fine!
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.11(Fri)8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to get good pictures of them. The two tinier babies are now hanging out together and schooling together. The larger one usually hangs out by himself but occasionally will try to school with my group of 9 larger ones.

I did get this video of them about a week ago which is posted towards the end of this blog entry. You can see the baby around 9 seconds into the film. Unfortunately, the algae is much more pronounced on this video than in real life Sad

http://parrotmusings.blogspot.com/2008/06/another-eventful-weekend-new-arrivals.html

But I will try to get more pictures this weekend and post if I'm successful!

Thanks for your interest Smile
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: