Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
From planted to marine some advise from a pro
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.07.01(Tue)0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
Here's a link to an article I wrote re: filtration for small SW tanks
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_small_aquarium_filter.php

As FB and Pete have indicated a 30 G. would be fine for a first tank as long as you recognize the limitations it imposes (limited stocking) and don't go against it. IMO a nice first time tank that should succeed at that size, without a sump or skimmer, and give you an idea of SW husbandry would be to stock a pair of false perc. clowns (no anemone), a cleaner shrimp and some hermits and snails. This will give you the experience of water changes, salt mixing, testing water parameters and most importantly, controlling your feeding regime.

I don't really understand AofW's recommendation either (but I do remember him from 2006). I usually try to avoid such black and white answers and the protestation that I know the right way to do things. There is no such thing really as a wrong set up, just a set up used in a wrong way. An 80G. tank is an odd size (?) and excludes the much more common 75G. which is fine for SW. Yes 30G. is small, and if you enjoy SW you will upgrade, but many people run them as FO's without sumps until they are ready to invest in a larger, more costly set up. By then hopefully, you will have a better idea of the livestock that interests you and the system you will need to invest in. All the livestock in the 30G. can then be added to the larger tank without compatability issues.
(BTW What butterfly would one recommend to a beginner?)
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.07.01(Tue)10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be missing something then as I don't follow why anyone would need an 80g tank for just a "couple of fish" some live rock and some other low maintenance stuff... Wink

it seems like every time I see this debate on beginner tank size it's like there is a preconceived notion of what belongs in a SW tank and how the owners operate at the LFS.

I've met so many SW enthusiasts who do Zooanthid tanks, or a mantis tank, or other neat tanks and they do not go mad and purchase some giant clam!

Me? I'm going to go feed my Long nose Killies that I enjoy as they swim around their live rock... even though it doesn't seem to count as a SW tank, it's mine and I like it! Laughing
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.01(Tue)13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.reefcentral.com

A really good forum to get even more reading material on tank size recommendations.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.07.01(Tue)14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the article for beginners to the hobby, there is NO recommendation of tank size, yet the author makes this very excellent recommendation:

"Whilst gathering your information, you must THINK. Is it logical, does it agree with what other books say, or with the views of "experts"? You must also get as many recommendations as you can, and then try to decide what is right FOR YOUR PARTICULAR SITUATION. Even some of the most notable "experts" on the net, some even with PhD's, can't agree on "what is right" all the time. They do tend to agree on the basics, though, so if you get some "way off" advice, you should be wary."

Reefcentral certainly seems a solid site to me! Smile

but maybe you are thinking the articles aren't the right source... the forum... yeah, the forum is the way to go..

OK, I'm game... they have this great thread for newcomers to reefcentral on how to get started...
their recommendation on tank size in that thread? bigger is always better...

Their reason? "this will pay him back in the future if he plans to keep larger fish."

Wait a second... hey, look, we are back to the wonderful attitude that all Salt Water enthusiasts do not know how to refrain from making purchases at the LFS.

Thanks but I'll assume that the type of individual who is doing a volume of research BEFORE setting a SW tank up has reached a level of maturity that extends to them knowing how to keep their wallet in their pocket at the LFS.

A 30g is a good choice, as is a 55g, 110g, 180g, 260g... depends entirely on what you want to put into the water now, tomorrow, and so on...
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.03(Thu)20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I really appreciate all the help. I ordered the book and have started to read it.

I think I will try to set up a sump in the cabinet as long as I can find one that is less than 10 1/2 inches front to back. This would allow a space for a hidden skimmer, (I'm getting the idea that my life and the fishes would be much easier with this). A sump would also give a little more water volume. So again any advise on equipment would be a big help.

I also have a lighting question. Does the live rock have specific lighting requirement? I see a setup in the book (fish and inverts) a few small fish and non-demanding inverts that interests me. I have three lamp fixtures for this size tank, (since I have had a few different 36" tanks), all of them are made by all-glass the stock plastic hood type. A two FL bulb fixture 60 watts, a three FL bulb fixtue 90 watts and lastly a 2x 55 watt compact FL fixture. I could use any of these but I am a little worried about the 110 watt CF lamp heating the water up to much.

I will also spend some time reading the articles that you have suggested

thanks,
Mark
Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.03(Thu)22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark 45 wrote:
Thanks,

I really appreciate all the help. I ordered the book and have started to read it.

I think I will try to set up a sump in the cabinet as long as I can find one that is less than 10 1/2 inches front to back. This would allow a space for a hidden skimmer, (I'm getting the idea that my life and the fishes would be much easier with this). A sump would also give a little more water volume. So again any advise on equipment would be a big help.

I also have a lighting question. Does the live rock have specific lighting requirement? I see a setup in the book (fish and inverts) a few small fish and non-demanding inverts that interests me. I have three lamp fixtures for this size tank, (since I have had a few different 36" tanks), all of them are made by all-glass the stock plastic hood type. A two FL bulb fixture 60 watts, a three FL bulb fixtue 90 watts and lastly a 2x 55 watt compact FL fixture. I could use any of these but I am a little worried about the 110 watt CF lamp heating the water up to much.

I will also spend some time reading the articles that you have suggested

thanks,
Mark

No.

If all you're going to set up is a FOWLR tank, you can use plain old incadescense. It's when you get into the realm of "reef" keeping that you're going to have to be more conscientious of lighting. However, I would recommend PC (power compact) lights even for FOWLR tanks since those will display the fishes' best colour. Just have to worry about algae later on.

Be sure to do your research on fish compatibility with your inverts. You don't want your inverts to be preyed upon by aggressive carnivores. There's a ton of things to research. Have fun.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.07.03(Thu)22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live rock doesn't really have lighting requirements. The only likely photosynthetic organisms in it will be algae and possibly some hitchhiking corals (I had a few zoanthids in mine).

I'd probably go with the 60 watt fixture, since you really have no need for the higher lighting at this point. With an actinic bulb and a regular daylight bulb, you're all set.
Cymig
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.09(Thu)11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...if anyone else has any advise that could help please jump in. ..."

- I think this link would help, got some advice and helpful tips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znTmyVeKunM
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: