Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
child safety with a pond
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.19(Thu)20:10    Post subject: child safety with a pond Reply with quote

Hello- I had considered digging up a pond on my property but am concerned for the safety of my <2yr old son as well as that of my nieces and other small neighborhood children. Any suggestions or experiences concerning how to make it safe are welcome. My plan is to place the pond at the foot of a 4' stone retaining wall and have water cascade from the top of the wall into the pond.

I pretty much think that this is not going to be safe no matter what until my son is older but was wondering what some of the pond owners here have done to thwart any threat of tragedy concerning their ponds.

thanks
-Kurt
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.20(Fri)5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been a pond owner, but, my parents always used to have a pond, and we never had any problems... I think if you have a low wall around it, it would at least help, other than that, I would say supervision when in the garden would be important, or maybe putting a flower bed or something around it to make it harder to get too close to. I remember the pond my parents had had a 3' wall on one side, and a flower bed around the other edges.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.06.20(Fri)9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have a raised pond with a grid strong enough to crawl on, or for a child to fall onto.

There was a case recently where a toddler wandered outside and was found drowned in a neighbour's pond. The parents were obviously the ones at fault but they are raising a ***** to get ponds banned.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.07.10(Thu)11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pond and pool safety is pretty similar. A fence as appropriate for a pool should be OK for a pond. And they should only be allowed near the pond with parental supervision.

Also, many people reccomend ponds with steep sides so as to protect the fish from cats/birds/etc. A more kid friendly design would be a more natural shallow area around a deep area. Not only would this allow kids to explore the life in the pond more easily but if anyone were to fall in they could be pulled out/get out relatively easily. This concerns older kids mainly who might try to catch the fish and fall in.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: