Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Strangest Thing Found In A Tank
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.06.24(Tue)16:05    Post subject: Strangest Thing Found In A Tank Reply with quote

Last night as I was feeding the fish in the 29 gal. tank, I noticed that a Dragonfly was molting on the surface leaves of an Amazon Sword (it's a covered tank). At first I thought that it was a Dragonfly eating a nymph of some sort, but then realized it was backing out of the clear shell and molting. It was about 1"/2.5cm long and just sat there, drying its wings. The body was clear and the tail was blue. I was dumbfounded. It obviously came from the Amazon Sword. I touched it with my finger and it flew/fell into the water and was instantly consumed by the Dwarf Gourami who found it much more tasty than the flake food.

Very cool to see and it got me thinking...What is the strangest or most surprising thing you have found in a tank?

I have to admit that this may not have been the strangest, but it was certainly one of the most surprising.
[/b]
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2008.06.25(Wed)22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm. With five kids it gets hard to pick out the strange things... Smile Just kidding.

For fish tanks it is easier... I guess we had a water boatman in the goodeid tank no too long ago. Weird looking little bug and an end to the mystery of who was eating the ramshorn snails. It really blended in well... I'd think for a second that I saw something moving or crawling, and then thought it was a part of a plant or something.
Obelisk
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.26(Thu)2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a small yellow leach one time on the wall in one of my tanks. From what I read, it was most likely a plant leach. I also found my platies picking at something at the bottom one time. It was an insect larvae of some kind, but not an aquatic one. How it ended up on the bottom of a fish tank I have no idea.
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.26(Thu)5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a water mite in my tank once... at first it looked like a little spider, especially the way it crawled over the plants, and then floated down as though it was crawling along a bit of web. Did some research online though and sure enough it was a water mite, which feed on insects apparently, like daphnia, water boatmen etc - most likely came in with the live daphnia I feed my fish.
bored2.0
Members

PostPosted: 2008.06.26(Thu)5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say the strangest thing I found in my tank was a little confused dog and cousin.
cichlidboy22
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.26(Thu)8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry potter! My little siblings like to take their toys for a swim so I found a little plastic harry potter in my tank.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')
BarebackDreamer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.26(Thu)15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely these tiny leech-looking things I'm finding in my planted five gallon. It's driving me nuts what they are. They come out of the gravel and ALL of my malaysian trumpet snails are constantly out on the glass. So my guess is that they're reproducing under there. It's freaking me out.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.06.26(Thu)18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want weird? buy some uncured live rock put into a SW tank and just wait...

Not only will you get things that belong in Science Fiction books but you can often get living beings that nobody can identify!

Cool
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: