Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Setting Up A Goldie Tank
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ran
Members

PostPosted: 2008.06.17(Tue)9:56    Post subject: Setting Up A Goldie Tank Reply with quote

I was wondering what the best equipment would be for a Goldfish tank.

I'm not even thinking about what varieties of Goldies I'd get yet; I'm only concerned with the set-up right now. What would the minimum size of tank be for (minimum) three Goldies, with loads of room to spare? Are there any bottom-feeding fish that would do well in a Goldie tank? I've read that Dojo Loaches have been kept successfully with goldfish, but I'd like to hear from people with first-hand experience.

I've read that both a bio filter and a mechanical filter are a must. If so, which would be the best filters to use? And what about airstones, lighting, etc.? Would a heater be necessary, even though it's cold water?

I don't have any of the gear to set up a tank yet, but I want to have all of my stuff ready before I even think about setting something up. I've never kept Goldfish before, and want to have as much research and preparation done as possible beforehand. Hopefully, if I find the right products and get a good tank, it'll be up and running within the next few months Smile

Also, I'm planning on using sand for the substrate. I just wouldn't want to risk having the fish swallowing gravel -- I also think sand looks much nicer, and is probably easier to keep clean.

What plants would do well in a Goldie tank? I've heard that the fish will snack on come live plants -- so I would need one that's fast-growing and hardy, I assume.

All hints, tips and suggestions will be noted! Setting up a Goldie tank will be a dream come true for me, and I want to try as hard as I can to get it right.
32Bit_Fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.23(Mon)13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some basic requirements for goldies:

For one fantail fancy goldfish - it needs 15-20gallon of water per fish

For one single tail comet - it needs at least 30gallon of water per fish, comet preferrably kept in pond

Personally I prefer barebuttom tank for goldies since they are messy fish and poo factory if you feed them a lot. So a barebuttom tank is much easier to clean. If not, you can put large size river stones in the tank and make sure the stones are big enough that they won't fit in your fish's mouth. Many goldfish death were caused by chocking when they try to swallow the stones in their tank.

It's better to keep goldfish by themselves in a tank, it's even not a good idea to keep single tailed comet with fancy goldfish in a tank since the comets are fast swimmer and they are likely take all the food during feeding, left none to the fancy goldie.

Goldfish normally look for food at buttom of the tank, so they are buttom feeder. No need to get any other buttom feeder fish (a different species for gold fish tank).

Depend on what size tank you are getting, you likely need both mechanical and biological filtration for your tank. The total water turn over rate must be at least 10x of your tank size. For example, if you have a 55g tank, the filters must have at least 550 gph water turn over rate. Weekly water changes are a must even with 10x turn over filtration.

I have a 38g tank and I have two HO power filters which they produce 600 gph turn over rate and I also perform 80-90% w/c twice a week.
Ran
Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.01(Tue)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for such an informative reply!

Yes, I was thinking of just getting a fantail and a veiltail (I love them, and they're the easiest fancies for my LFS to get) instead of Comets. I'd feel guilty putting such a big, fast goldfish in any tank that wasn't absolutely enormous (or most definitely ponds), to be honest.

Do you know which brands of filters would be the best for both bio and mechanical filtration? Even if they're not cheap -- I'd rather get good ones for a fair bit of money then spend a little on ones that won't get the job done. Obviously Smile

If bare-bottomed tanks are easiest with goldies, then what about live plants? I'm with the understanding that they like grazing on them. I don't know how plants would do in river stones, and I know that small gravel really isn't a good idea. If any substrate was needed (keeping live plants in mind), I guess sand would be the best, right? Even though I've read that sand can cause digestion problems at times from them rooting around for food.

Thank you much for the comment, it'll definitely help while I'm preparing the goldie tank (which should be soon!)
32Bit_Fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.09(Wed)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AquaClear 70 HOB Power filter and they are the best HOB filter I have ever used. The AC 70 is rated with water turn over rate of 300GPH.

I'm not sure how big is your tank going to be, you might need to get a external canister filter in addition to the HOB power filter. The more filtration on the tank the better for the goldfish.

I only kept my goldfish in a barebuttom tank, so I can't say anything about the plants in a goldie tank. However, I've seen some beautiful planted goldfish tanks on the internet.

You might want to visit the links/websites for goldfish keeping information.
http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?s=6564f8f80f8c9c985702c385ae955af6& koko's goldfish website

and Raffle's Gold

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Both sites are great goldfish website that provide tons of information on goldfish keeping.
Ran
Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.10(Thu)4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Smile

I didn't expect to have it for at least another month, but it's a 120 litre tank (around 31g US), with sand substrate, just starting a fishless cycle. The tank itself came with a pretty hefty filter built in (not sure of the water turnover rate, though), so once there's fish in the tank I'll keep an eye on it, if it can't keep up with the goldies I'll get the HOB or an external canister, as I'd like to keep the tank as roomy as possible. I already know that the built-in one can clear the water quickly and efficiently (rinsed out already established filter media in the big tank to start off a new bacterial colony, hopefully it'll work).

I'm more than happy to keep up a pretty rigorous maintenance routine as much as I need to to keep everything well in the tank. So long as the fish are happy and healthy, I'll do what needs to be done Smile
32Bit_Fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.10(Thu)6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping sand as a substrate in a goldie's tank, umm.... I'm not sure about that. The sand might irritate goldfish's gill as gold fish vaccum the floor for food all the time. But you can discuss this issue at the goldfish's website and I'm sure you will get tons of opinions/advices on that.

For a 30G tank, you can a max of two goldfish regardless how big are they when you getting them right now. Goldfish grow amazing quick with proper care and they grow big.

I hoping you are getting fancy goldfish, not the single tail comet. Single tail comet can grow up to 12" and they are best in pond. Most fancy goldies can grow up to 6-8" depend on what type you are getting.

Also you need to keep in mind, goldfish needs a lot of room to swimming around, therefore, an internal filter will take up fish's swimming space. don't' worry, the external filters can do a great job on keep the water clean.

Sharp/harsh objects are not recommended to put inside of the tank since goldfish are clumsy swimmer and they could pump into those objects and get injured.
BrokenAquarian
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.10(Thu)15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having sand in with goldfish can kill your filter. They are notorious for picking up mouthfuls of sand and spitting them right INTO the intake tube of the filter.

Rolling Eyes I swear they do it on purpose Smile
Ran
Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.11(Fri)8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to keep a very close eye on them, then Smile
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: