Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Snail-eating Snail Clea (Anentome) helena
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.07.04(Fri)1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do they like to feed on if there is not a population of other snails for them?

I would say they will feed on the remaining eggs also. I see mine burrowing through the sand in search for something (maybe other small snails or maybe eggs).

As I already mentioned before, they seem not to eat the fully grown MTS (2,5-3cm) and the reason might be next;
I observed them closely and could notice the way they "open up" the pray to be able to eat it.
They come onto the MTS from underneath. Once attacked the MTS closes it self behind the "door". A. helena sucks onto the "door" with it's foot and pulls the "door" open. Larger MTS might be stronger at holding the "door" closed, and for that reason they seem not to attack the bigger ones.

Also you can always go to your LFS to ask for a few MTS snails to feed the A. helena.
I would say 1 Anentome helena per 10 galls should do the job in keeping the population in check without wiping them totally out. This also depends on how many MTS, pond, ramshorn snails you have to start with.

Any way, they seem not to be interested in Neritina snails (too big to open them up).

Regards, Dusko
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.06(Sun)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of such an unique snail like that before! Shocked
I thought snails are mostly vegetarians lol never knew there is one out there that eats other snails XD I guess they'd love the French delicacy--The Oven baked snails too Laughing
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.29(Tue)10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested in getting some of these Anentome helena but I'm holding off because I'd hate to lose my zebra and horned nerites. Does anyone have experience mixing Anentome helena with nerites?
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.07.29(Tue)14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone have experience mixing Anentome helena with nerites?

Yes, I do. I keep A.helena with Neritina sp. Zebra and other big snails and they never attacked any of them. A. helena attacks only snails of their own size and smaller but never bigger.
Even though they seem to prefer MTS over Ramshorns and Pond snails (but will eat them too) they never seem to be interested in my fully grown 2,5-3cm MTS (Malaysian Trumpet snails). This is good IMO, because I don't want to eradicate the MTS but only keep them in control.

Great snail IMO.

BTW, I have kept Neritina species with Zebra, Kubotai, Pakistani and Clown Botia and none of them have shown interest in eating them. Maybe they taste bad Wink

Regards, Dusko

Last edited by Dusko on 2008.08.28(Thu)15:17; edited 1 time in total
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.08.28(Thu)15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some Anentome helena eggs Razz
As you can see on this photo, the egg is placed in some sort of a "bag" (which is approx. 2-3mm big). It seems to be an already formed baby snail. One can see the brown and yellow lines like in the grown ones. In my tanks they attach the egg bags on plants and filter/pumps but not on glass;

And here is another better photo showing how A. helena looks;

Regards, Dusko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.08.28(Thu)15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, I've been reading up and most people are saying it takes the eggs months to hatch, how old is the one that you have pictured?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.28(Thu)15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow congrats Dusko! Looks really unique compared to other snail eggs. Did you do anything in particular to breed them or is it just coincidence?

Great to see another unique snail being successfully bred Very Happy

Cheers, Ernie
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.08.28(Thu)15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

These eggs are approx. 3-4 weeks old but they keep laying new ones all the time. I can see two of the bags empty but since my tanks are heavily planted there is no way to see the baby snails (I presume when small they are very similar to MTS babys)

I didn't do anything special to breed them. The only thing I did is I introduced them into aquariums over run with MTSsnails Wink

Regards, Dusko

Last edited by Dusko on 2008.08.30(Sat)13:47; edited 1 time in total
Sunstar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.29(Fri)20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this snail prey upon a zebrea nerite? I might consider getting this for my sister.
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.08.30(Sat)13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got baby A. helena snails Very Happy
Yesterday I took out a huge clump of Java Moss out of the tank and look what I have found;
Approximately 0,5-0,8cm baby snails (4 of them)

I keep these snails for about 2 month and they started laying eggs 4 weeks ago (maybe earlier, my tanks are heavily planted so not easy to spot the eggs).
I would say the egg needs at least 1 month to hatch but not longer, Note these babys aren't that small.

Yes you can keep A. helena with snails bigger than they are without any problems (see photo, I keep Neritinas in all my tanks together with A. helena and no problems).

Regards, Dusko
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to: