Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Snail-eating Snail Clea (Anentome) helena
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Heather R
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2008.06.18(Wed)6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention this will help Clown Loaches, I was thinking the same thing! Maybe now that these snails are available, people will not buy huge fish that they cannot properly house long term, to control snails. Now they can get a nice snail to do the job. I would assume that this snail would work well in almost any size aquarium?

I would like to try to get two or three of them and observe them for a few months. Very Happy
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.18(Wed)22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusko, how would I be able to get my hands on 2 or three of these guys? Any online spot you know of have any?

29 Gallon Reef Tank: 1 Black Percula, 1 TR Percula, 1 Yellow Watchmen & Pistol Shrimp, 1 Six-line Wrasse, 1 Cleaner Shrimp
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.06.22(Sun)8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very cool!

I hope they make it legal to import into Australia. I could use some!
orangeduckster
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.06.23(Mon)14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather R wrote:
Funny you should mention this will help Clown Loaches, I was thinking the same thing! Maybe now that these snails are available, people will not buy huge fish that they cannot properly house long term, to control snails. Now they can get a nice snail to do the job. I would assume that this snail would work well in almost any size aquarium?

I would like to try to get two or three of them and observe them for a few months. Very Happy

Using snails to control snails Shocked This would be perfect if they also eat each other. If not then these snail eating snails would probably replace the snails that they eat and overpopulate your tank.
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.06.23(Mon)15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have been looking into them and they don't eat their own kind. They have one egg about every 10 days and don't reproduce if there aren't other snails to feed on so you don't need to worry about them overpopulating unless you have a ton of snails. They eat 4 snails per week according to one place, and that is the only place I can read that has any info on how often they eat.

I'm thinking about getting a couple right now, but if I get them I'd have to worry about them and tower snails together so I have to rethink all my tanks. Rolling Eyes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.06.26(Thu)2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like these guys are already available (albeit in very short supply) on aquabid: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwinverts&1215055776

I told my boyfriend about these guys and he thinks they're voodoo magic. If anyone gets any, please share your observations and experience with the rest of us!
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.06.26(Thu)2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos I promised better photos, here they are.

I got 5 Anentome helena. I placed 3 into my 11 galls Red Cherry planted tank with lots of MTSnails and 2 into my 11 galls Miniature Forest planted aquarium.

I can already see them eating the Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They don't attack their heads (you can see MTS's head in this photo), but instead go for the foot and then eat the inside first (hard to see).

Photo showing how Anentome helena snail eats the MTS

Regards, Dusko
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2008.07.03(Thu)20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusko, I have to ask a question about these little gems! What do they like to feed on if there is not a population of other snails for them? I would like to get some but if they eat all my "little brown snails" that arrived on some plants, I don't want them to starve. What do you suggest as an alternative snack for them?
FISHBOY3
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.07.03(Thu)21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading about these in practical fishkeeping recently. They said that they only eat a snail a day.
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.07.03(Thu)22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariaanna wrote:
Looks like these guys are already available (albeit in very short supply) on aquabid: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwinverts&1215055776

I told my boyfriend about these guys and he thinks they're voodoo magic. If anyone gets any, please share your observations and experience with the rest of us!

Actually, he has quite a bunch of them. He's been selling them right and left for the past couple weeks and he still has tons of them. New seller name is an3on, he lost his old password.

I'm all set to get them, have a tank with a good amount of snails and all. The only thing I'm lacking is parental permission, nearly got that though.
*crossfingers*
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to: