Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Children with Down Syndrome
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.06.12(Thu)0:45    Post subject: Children with Down Syndrome Reply with quote

This is my grandson Aiden Wyatt. He is one of many children in the world that has Down Syndrome. October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month. Every year at this time all over the United States they have a buddy walk in which to raise money to help promote awareness and to help these kids with the therapy and such that is needed.

Please click on the link below and help spread the word and help us raise the money that is really needed.

http://www.firstgiving.com/aidenwyattbowlin
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.12(Thu)20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan, thanks for sharing the picture and link. I was wondering if you might help inform the members of the forum on Down Syndrome. What is it, how do children get it? What sort of research is being done on treatment, etc.?

It might help some understand the disorder better. Smile
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.06.12(Thu)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Luna. I have some info that I will scan and upload to this thead that would help with understanding, or have my daughter to type something up on it as the association considers her an expert on it with all the reading she had done before he was born.
Barchef
Regulars

Location: It changed but I'm not telling you where silly children. :)

PostPosted: 2008.06.14(Sat)5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get down syndrome during the point where the sperm meets the egg. Down syndrome is when you have an extra chromosome if I'm not mistaken, and to cure it you would have to take out a chromosome, which is in your dna, and I don't see how that is possible quite yet but hey you never know. I believe it is tied somehow to stem cell research.
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.14(Sat)8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that. Wink But, I was hoping that someone who deals with the disorder on a regular basis would help inform those who don't know.

Any "cure" would probably come in the form of gene therapy. Gene therapy is when a virus is modified to carry a gene or series of genes that would alter the chromosome or somehow effect the products of the culprit genes. Because Down Syndrome is the result of an extra chromosome (#21), this cure would be very difficult. There may be something that stem cells could do, but we haven't really gotten to the point where those are useful for complicated disorders such as this.

I believe most of the funds raised are going to treatment and physical/cognitive therapy rather than a cure for the disorder.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.06.14(Sat)10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down syndrome Facts

Down syndrome occurs when an individual has three, rather than two, copies of the 21st chromosome.
This additional genetic material alters the course of development and causes the characteristics associated with Down syndrome.
Down syndrome is the most commonly occurring chromosomal abnormality. One in every 800 to 1,000 babies is born with Down syndrome.
There are more than 350,000 people living with Down syndrome in the United States. Down syndrome affects people of all ages, races and economic levels.
The incidence of births of children with Down syndrome increases with the age of the mother. But due to higher fertility rates in younger women, 80 percent of children with Down syndrome are born to women under 35 years of age.
People with Down syndrome have an increased risk for certain medical conditions such as congenital heart defects, respiratory and hearing problems, Alzheimer's disease, childhood leukemia, and thyroid conditions. Many of these conditions are now treatable, so most people with Down syndrome lead healthy lives.
Life expectancy for people with Down syndrome has increased dramatically in recent decades - from 25 in 1983 to 56 today.
All people with Down syndrome experience cognitive delays, but the effect is usually mild to moderate and is not indicative of the many strengths and talents that each individual possesses.
Quality educational programs, a stimulating home environment, good health care, and positive support from family, friends and the community enable people with Down syndrome to develop their full potential and lead fulfilling lives.
People with Down syndrome attend school, find work, participate in decisions that affect them, and contribute to society.
Researchers are making great strides in identifying the genes on Chromosome 21 that cause the characteristics of Down syndrome. Many feel strongly that it will be possible to improve, correct or prevent many of the problems associated with Down syndrome in the future
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.06.14(Sat)10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

a baby born with Down syndrome today can expect to lead a rewarding and rich life, often not that different from a baby not having Down syndrome
-an overwhelming majority of parents and siblings find living with a family member who has Down syndrome a very positive experience
-including a person with an intellectual disability in the work force has a positive effect on overall employee moral
-the overall quality of life of a person with Down syndrome has improved greatly over the last few decades, due to social inclusion, improved healthcare, etc.
-people with Down syndrome are less likely to develop a range of cancers
further research into the
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.06.14(Sat)10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Buddy Walk is our major fundraiser every year for Down syndrome Awareness. 95% of the proceeds stay with our local chapter for making New Parent Packets and our new
keeno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.14(Sat)17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curses, I can't give out money online because I'm a minor!

This is a reallly great cause, and although I can't donate as of now, I hope you get over that $1000 goal!
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.06.14(Sat)18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always have your parents read it, and pass it on to friends.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: