Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Recipes
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.15(Sun)9:26    Post subject: Recipes Reply with quote

Thought it may be fun to try a few recipes from other people on the board, I've recently gotten into cooking instead of eating out because its better for ya and not to mention cheaper. One thing I've made that I really like is out of some dirt cheap Ramen noodles Smile

Pizza Ramen
2 packets any flavor Ramen
1 jar of pizza sauce
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup pepperoni diced into small pieces or toss in some of the thin round slices
3oz can of mushrooms
1/4 cup of thinly diced green pepper

Cook ramen noodles according to packet, no need for the flavor packet in this one. When noodles are done, drain and set asside. In microwaveable dish place jar of pizza sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms and green pepper. Microwave for about a minute and a half...stir once or twice. Pour sauce mixture over noodles and top with mozzarella cheese.

Its a lot better for you than take out pizza, tastes great and still goes well with a Killans Wink
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.15(Sun)19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good idea! Unfortunatly I don't have any. But Ill watch this thread and Ill print off some ones that sound good!
Greenthumb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.16(Mon)18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a recipe that is totally scale-able, one of my college and continuing favorites. Tortellini in brown butter sauce.

~Start with some good frozen tortellini and boil them up and drain in a colander.
~Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small fry pan over medium heat until the butter browns and begins to stop foaming. Add a teaspoon of fresh thyme (fresh really makes the difference here) and also add the tortellini to the pan. Coat the tortellini and serve with topped parmigian.

Option: Let the tortellini toast in the butter sauce to have a crunchy alternative. Also try it with fresh sage instead of thyme.

Bellissimo !
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2008.06.16(Mon)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll play.

Pot roast on the grill.

When I make pot roast in the house I always brown the meat on both sides to keep it from drying out, but also make it fork tender... On the grill (charcoal of coarse) I sprinkle salt, pepper, and onion powder. Have the grill nice and hot and turn, so both sides brown. A nice chuck roast works well and even better if you can get it with the bones included.

Then you'll need either heavy duty aluminum foil, or a black colored roaster pan the porcelain coated kind to put the meat into. Umm, I don't measure ingredients when I cook so add salt and pepper to taste. If you'd like to roast the meat with vegetables you'll need a pan...

Otherwise make a foil tent and add your favorite beef base, or wine, or flavored vinegar, herds and spices. Seal the bag tight, to keep the juices in.

My favorite is balsamic vinegar (about a quarter cup)
about one teaspoon each dried thyme, marjoram, ground rosemary, dried or fresh garlic add as much as you like (it also depends on the size of the roast, I usually make a 3-4 pound roast)... This is the herbed version of pot roast that I make in the house. Let it cook for 3-4 hours. Moving the meat off direct heat helps to prevent scorching, but allows it to cook for a long time and get really tender.

I make this when I'm getting sick of cooking outside and want a nice home cooked recipe without making the house hot in the summer time.

You can make bread, bread sticks, and biscuits on the grill too. Smile

I wouldn't call this a money saver, but it's good! I'll take a picture the next time I make it. Razz
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.17(Tue)3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great Smile My parentals don't have a charcoal grill we have a propane one...would that make any significant diffrence If I were to bite the bullet and try to make the raost?

I will definatly try that pasta dish as well...expecially since it doesn't sound difficult Smile
Heather2128
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.17(Tue)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one I really like:

1 c Uncooked rice

5 T Butter

1 c Chopped onion

1 c Chopped carrots

2/3 c Chopped scallions

3 T Sesame seeds

5 Eggs

5 T Soy sauce

Salt

Pepper

Cook rice according to package directions. In a large skillet melt butter.

Add onions, carrots and scallions. Saute until carrots are translucent.

Set aside. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place sesame seeds in a shallow pan.

Bake until golden brown (10 to 15 minutes), shaking pan occasionally for

even color. Lightly grease another skillet. Beat eggs. Pour into hot

skillet. Cook as you would scrambled eggs. Combine rice, vegetables,

sesame seeds and eggs. Add soy sauce. Stir. Salt and pepper to taste.

I don't make it with the sesame seeds, though. My oven is broken. Laughing
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2008.06.17(Tue)9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a propane grill. It just won't have that smoky taste unless you have one of those little boxes that you can add wood chips to. Smile

It'll taste good without the smoky taste too. My oven doesn't use charcoal.

BTW, a meat thermometer would be a good idea if you're not accustomed to cooking on the grill.
Greenthumb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.20(Fri)21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to take some pictures of some of the newer recipes I try out sometimes. Here are a few I particularly like Smile

Raspberry Crostata

French onion soup

Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: