Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Shell Dweller tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Greenthumb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.26(Sat)1:33    Post subject: Shell Dweller tank Reply with quote

Here is my old tank that I used to house my amazon fish in, I converted it to hold a colony of Neolamprologus multifasciatus, from my understanding the worlds smalled cichlid. So far I have 4 in the tank, 1 definite male, and 3 smaller undetermined ones so far. The shells are escargot shells bought from a specialty food store here in Pikes Place. Eventually I would like to add 4 more multi's to the tank. Here are some pictures

Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.01.26(Sat)1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks real nice! Where are the fishies from? APFP? Sorry I'm tired and don't remember, this is my last post and then I'm off to bed (hopefully).

What specialty store was it, I love Pike Place? I was just in costco today and they also have escargo, only it comes with the snails too only they are sepereated in a can from the shells.

More pictures? Very Happy
Un_Lu.cK_y
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.27(Sun)17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Tank Grennthumb!

Jacko and Greenthumb what fish stores do you recommend in Seattle?
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.01.27(Sun)17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenthumb is the one with the more visits to seattle stores. I can only recomend ones outside of Seattle since my mom won't drive in that "cursed" city, she doesn't like traffic. My number 1 recomendation is Kevin and Sean's A Place for Pets, aka APFP or P4P. There is also Sierra Tropical Fish and Midway Tropical Fish and Pets, Sierra is in Bellevue and Midway is in Seatac. Kevin at APFP has told me he would look into getting some zebra nerites for me so I can only hope he can find a dealer.

I'm gonna say that there is also Denny's Pet World, The Fish Store, King's Discus and Little Amazon. All of these are in Seattle so I haven't been to these yet but I think Greenthumb has been to one or two. Wink
Greenthumb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.27(Sun)19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is The Fish Store in Ravenna. They have a good selection of freshwater fish, and very knowledgable staff although it is a bit pricey. I also like A Place for Pets, it has a great selection of tropical fish, and an excellent cichlid collection including adult cichlids. I spoke with Kevin there, and he was very nice and well versed in the hobby, also the only place I've seen Nerites for sale, and apparently he can order many varieties from their breeders. It is more down where Jacko lives in Burien. I've also been to Blue Sierra Tropical Fish in Issaquah which had a spectacular selection of coral frags and very good prices on hardware, their tropical fish selection was unique, but without much variety. A couple guys from north seattle recommended to me Petporee (not sure on the spelling on this one), and scoffed at all of the above, so maybe its really good, but I can't vouch for it.
There is also a discus/angelfish breeder in town who posts on craigslist when he has stuff to sell, great variety and good prices from him.

Jacko the specietly food store was called Delaurenti's. They also sold the can and shell combo, which was like $15 bucks or something for only 8 shells, but they also have a jar of these shells for .50 cents each. My multi's love them and they offer plenty of room for even fully grown shell dwellers.
On a side note, I ordered 5 more multi's from The Fish Store today when I was picking up my Bosemani's and they will be in, in 2 weeks.
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.01.27(Sun)19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, see Greenthumb gets along with Kevin, I personally can't stand the guy when it is a tuesday, saturday or friday. Any other day he is great and nice but on these days he is so overworked he gets grouchy. Go on Tuesdays since they have 15% off all freshwater fish then. Very Happy

Pictures Greenthumb, please... Laughing
Greenthumb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.28(Mon)1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go Alex a few shots at night. I took these tonight before I headed off to bed.

A whole tank shot with the moonlight. It looks much better with the light argonite sand then it did in the dark planted tank.

A female retreating to her shell

A female cruisin

These two have coupled off, although multi's are known to be harem breeders, so far only these two have shown interest in each other. Guarding their shell from an invading photographer.

Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.28(Mon)4:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it. Simply love it. Has a very atmospheric look, sticking to a few simple aquascaping rules to create a rough, natural-looking scene I could watch for hours Smile ! Oh, and good choice on the fish too Cool .

Phil Wink
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.01.28(Mon)13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked It looks like it's glowing! Cool I love that cathode settup Chris, but my parents don't beleive I need one.

The one of the female retreating to her shell is great, it looks almost saltwater-ish, if I didn't know better I would say it was!
beowulf
Members

PostPosted: 2008.01.29(Tue)15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it, gives me ideas for my 30g breeder which I will be doing a shelley tank.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: