Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How to use coppersafe?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
st. elmo
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.05.15(Thu)23:07    Post subject: How to use coppersafe? Reply with quote

I started using coppersafe just now on my fishes that have ich. My question is: Am I suppose to use this everyday for 30 days? Or just around 5 to 7 days? Or is it just a one time treatment (based on instruction of 1 teaspoon per 4 gallons) which is already good for 1 month? Nothing on the instruction that says how many days should I use it until problem is solved. It only just says "treats water for 1 month." What exactly should I do? Question
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.05.16(Fri)1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google is working;-

CopperSafe

Directions for Use:
Use 5 ml for 4 gallons of water. Loosen measuring chamber cap and squeeze bottle to fill to desired level. One application treats water for one month. DO NOT overdose.

Active Ingredients: Chelated Copper Sulfate.

Precautions: CopperSafe may be harmful to plants and some snails. If possible, remove plants and invertebrates without an exoskeleton from the aquarium. Otherwise, treat fish in a separate quarantine tank. Keep out of reach of children. For aquarium use only.

CopperSafe is intended for the exclusive use with ornamental fish and/or ornamental organisms and is not intended for use with humans or fish for human consumption.

Benefit: CopperSafe is a chelated copper compound that is used for the treatment of infections of Ick, Flukes (Gyrodactylus), Anchor Worms, Velvet/Protozoan diseases and other external parasites.

CopperSafe, when used as directed, maintains a total copper level of 1.5 ppm to 2.0 ppm in the water. CopperSafe remains active for over one month in the aquarium. Levels of 0.3 ppm free copper are recommended in the literature for therapeutic use, but with Coppersafe, the levels of free copper will be measured at 1.5 ppm to 2.0 ppm. This level of copper can be used in the treatment of fish due to Coppersafe's unique chelating agent. The chelating agent binds with the copper making it nontoxic to fish but effective against parasites. CopperSafe does not discolor the water and will not interfere with the biological filter

Use: CopperSafe should be used when a diagnosis of the fish's illness indicates the presence of Ick, Flukes (Gyrodactylus), Anchor Worms, Velvet/ Protozoan Diseases and other external freshwater parasites.

NOTE: CopperSafe may cause an adverse reaction with some sensitive invertebrates. Invertebrates without an exoskeleton such as jellyfish and anemones should be removed before treatment. CopperSafe may be harmful to plants, amphibians, and snails.

A chelated or total copper test kit is required to measure CopperSafe. Coppersafe may cause inaccurate free copper readings when using certain test kits. All readings should be based on the total copper or chelated copper results and not the free copper results.

Coppersafe is safe to use with UV Sterilizers, Protein Skimmers, Wet/Dry and Diatomaceous earth filters. After treatment, Coppersafe can be removed from the aquarium by water changes, fresh activated carbon or other chemical filtration resins/pads.
st. elmo
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.05.16(Fri)2:08    Post subject: Thanks a bunch Reply with quote

So a single treatment application is good for a month. Thank you very much diademhill. I really appreciate it. Smile
a311snowbunny
Members

PostPosted: 2008.12.04(Thu)4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using coppersafe now. This is probably too late to answer. You can treat your tank once BUT you should get a test kit to make sure the copper levels are staying in the rang needed. Many factors can change the copper levels in your tank. So checking your water will let you know if you have the right amount. Because too little will do nothing and too much will kill your fish.

They say it lasts for a month but you need to check it. Also if you do water changes during that month you have to add the correct amount to bring the levels to where they need to be. I am doing water changes every week and adding the amount needed to bring my levels back up to 1.5 . Then I let it sit for another 7 days. But I always check the water to make sure the copper is still the right amount.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: