Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Stocking a 55/60 gallon tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
metalmib
Members

PostPosted: 2008.05.14(Wed)14:48    Post subject: Stocking a 55/60 gallon tank Reply with quote

I'm considering getting a 60 gallon tank(I put 55 just in case the tank I want isn't there when I buy it).

Looking to get plants growing nicely in the tank before I stock it to avoid new tank syndrome, however I have a few months to think about that...

Main question is does this 'stocking list' look like it will work well(does anyone see any compatibility problems or any advice I can learn now instead of later).

6 Dwarf Gourami
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Hariy Tiger Pleco
4 Otocinclus
1 Siamese Algae Eater
6 Dwarf Chain Loach

I estimated this to about 42.5 inches of full grown fish

I figured I'd stagger introducing each species of fish long enough for parameters to stabilize after each addition. Thanks for your help!
SOletsgo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.05.14(Wed)15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 dwarf gourami is not such a good idea as they will pick on each other.
I haven't had any of the other fish, so can't give you advice on the others.
Good luck on the search, I'm sure that some of the other more knowledgeable people can give you some advice. Wink
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.05.14(Wed)15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
6 dwarf gourami is not such a good idea as they will pick on each other.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd think that if you can get 1 male and the rest females, it should be OK in a 60G tank. However, I've heard female dwarf gouramis can be tough to get hold of so it really depends on availability.
metalmib
Members

PostPosted: 2008.05.14(Wed)15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I didn't really want the gourami's. I originally had 6 False Julii Cory Cats on the list, but I figured I needed at least some fish in the top half of the tank lol. I also was reading that some people had good experiences with setting up a new aquarium with gourami's, but corys were not good for new tanks(not accounting for silent cycling). Do gourami's brawl or just bug each other, I heard they don't cause any damage and only fight within their species(I'm a middle child of 3, lol I understand tough love)...I don't mind that if they don't mind it hah...Anyways, I wanted to replace my idea for the cory cats with another school of 6 fish that reached 2" max and can be seen as a beauty even to non-enthusiasts. I'm not really interested in cichlids, I think both of you picked up that I am looking for a more peaceful tank, but I don't mind in-species quarrels as long as one individual fish doesn't continually become the victim. If either of you or anyone has any ideas for replacing this species with one the doesn't quarrel(and still will do better in new tank conditions), I'm all ears.

PS...the 1 male, 5 females sounds like a great idea...now how do I know what I'm getting/How do I know the guy at the store(it's actually an amazing fish store) will give me 1 male-5 females. As far as tough to get a hold of, the store would have to special order the Dwarf Chain loach anyway, so now it becomes a question of does their provider have females readily available for purchase. Thanks!
cichlidboy22
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.05.14(Wed)16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably only need one species of algae eater, so maybe pick your favorite one and scratch the rest. I personally would suggest keeping the SAE. then maybe add a school of something.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')
metalmib
Members

PostPosted: 2008.05.14(Wed)16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, I probably don't need all of those species, however, I actually find joy in watching fish eat algae, maybe that's weird, but it's so cool. Are you saying that based on your preference, you would take them out and get another fish, or are you saying that I shouldn't do that because it won't work.
keeno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.05.15(Thu)1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, most algae eaters are schooling fish, so 7 otos would be happier that a mishmash of species.
Alternative stocking plan:
1 betta or some type of gourami
20 harlequin rasboras
4 SAE's
6 dwarf chain loach (if you can find them, that is.)

If you don't find the loaches, add 2 more SAE's and rasboras instead.
RWC
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.05.15(Thu)3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could get a school of one of the more large tetras to fill the top up
such as Buenos aires Tetras
metalmib
Members

PostPosted: 2008.05.15(Thu)10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your posts guys.

Lol, I have a betta, I can't see putting him in a 60 gallon tank(most of the other fish require high aeration and circulation, which betta's arn't supposed to like, as I'm told, isn't this true?)

I like the rasbora idea!! Thanks!

I have read that SAE's aren't schooling fish, and that they stay to themselves, is this true? Also, I have read that otos enjoy small schools, what is a small school lol? I think it's funny that you listed 7 otos and then didn't even put them on the list. I agree that I shouldn't mix and match species though...Thanks for all the help once again. Please keep posting, I like hearing the ideas!

I don't know if I should ask this on another forum, but what kind of subtrate should I be thinking about for the loaches...with the cory cats, I was going to do sand, but if I can do gravel I'd rather do that. Thanks!
keeno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.05.15(Thu)18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think that you are thinking of CAE's. SAe's arent necessarily schooling but they enjoy groups.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: