Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Split posts...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.05.16(Fri)8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people are uncomfortable with this thread and they have no legitimate grievance to air, then maybe they should not post at all. I sense that some people are posting here just to join in, and really have nothing to add. Attempting to moderate a situation that needs no moderation can be seen as an attempt to start trouble. "Putting the cat in among the pigeons" comes to mind. Let's not try to make this a "nice" thread. It's doing fine the way it is.
keeno wrote:
Quote:
Let's not flame her too much, please ... Maybe is we were a bit more civil we could sort this out without name-calling and blaming,
This is a very civilized thread, considering the issues and emotions involved. "Flaming" has a very broad definition, but I see no real flaming here. The true flaming was done in the original threads, which is what prompted this discussion here.

My original remark about the avatar was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but not a joke. Trolls are an interesting diversion, but this thread is not about trolls. It's not even about Theresa1, whoever he or she may be.

It's about what happens when the good, hard, dedicated work of years by serious and established contributors is trashed in a moment by aggressive and inexperienced impulse posters. If either Dusko or Jason were to become so fed up they left the site, it would be a sad loss indeed.

Those who want to take sides and be "nice" should go to Theresa's profile and click "find all posts by ..." Do the research. Become familiar with the posting style of this member. Decide whether this poster is making a real contribution, or is merely attempting to add notes of discord and unease to forum threads in progress. Perhaps people under the age of 20 are impressed with the comments of Theresa, but many older and more experienced members are not.
Sad

Slimy wrote:
Quote:
Troll dolls and creatures are the same in the same way corydoras and plecos are the same.
I disagree. I'd rather use two closely related species of Callichthyidae. The better analogy would be Trolls and Creatures are alike in the way that Corydoras julii (cute, short round nose) and Scleromystax barbatus (long nose, aggressive barbels) are alike.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.05.16(Fri)10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not even about Theresa1, whoever he or she may be.

Oh give me a break...
When it comes down to it this board can/should be moderated and run however you guys want.
However I am seeing more and more instances of the members lacking when in comes to decent basic social behavior. All this PUBLIC thread is, is a mud-slinging thread. It serves no other purpose whatsoever. I find it pathetic that you would even try to justify it.
I personally have no interest in being part of the culture that is supported on this board.
You are right. This post isn't about Theresa. It's about how poorly this forum represents a 'community' and of how much has been done to ruin what an online community should be.
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.05.16(Fri)13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are right. This post isn't about Theresa. It's about how poorly this forum represents a 'community' and of how much has been done to ruin what an online community should be.

Since when is Theresa called a community??
I split these posts in here so I could say what I think (democracy, online community) and Theresa can have a chance to justify her attitude (democracy, online community). Instead she cheated her way out of it (very democratic Rolling Eyes )
I posted it publicly to state how Theresa's posting style is non-productive and misleading.
I don't want this posting style to become FASHION on AoA Forum and for that reason has to be addressed. (I have right to say what bothers me. I don't like to repress my self, or should I Slimy?)

Yes, I also tried to ignore Theresa's replies (like JasonL did) but not for long. I can't ignore members posting misleading informations (just because her one tubed low light tank functioned, and we were discussing Hi-lights). NOTE; everything would be just fine if she would stop with that misleading post, but no, she actually continues to drag the thread along, trying to justify what she wrote before, ah, how energy consuming, and I hate wasting my energy and my private time into useless discussions.

She is self absorbed and that's the sour fact. End of story!!

Quote:
All this PUBLIC thread is, is a mud-slinging thread.

So you are calling me a mud-slinging person? Well done Slimy, thank you.

BTW, if you support Theresa's posting stile, two of you might think of starting your own forum (maybe I join, just so I could irritate you). Web is huge, lots of space for everyone, why forcing your self to be part of ...how did you say it..." how poorly this forum represents a 'community' and of how much has been done to ruin what an online community should be."

Quote:
I personally have no interest in being part of the culture that is supported on this board.

What culture is that mate?? Be more specific, since we are talking about a fish-keeping (plant-growing) forum.
Are you saying there is nothing on this forum folk can benefit from??

Quote:
I think that Theresa isn't really trying to ruin threads, but her personality is kind of... paranoid.

Big truth, thanks for saying this.
I am participating on other forums as well (not only on AoA) and I have never encountered someone so ignorant the way Theresa is.
As I said before, I had to address this issue. I don't care that much for Theresa1 personally, but do mind when she is trying to destroy a thread. Instead, I don't want Theresa's posting style to become fashion on this board (God forbid)

As always, kind regards, Dusko
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.05.16(Fri)14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have no problem with Theresa and I welcome her challeging comments. If I post pics and she comments with a chelleging question I am glad to answer my reason behind stocking or whatever, I take it as constructive not destructive. Reason I do that is her questions towards me have made me think about my systems and provide reasoning why they are working for me.

Truth is 2 people couldnt have a wider diffrence of methods than Theresa and I do. We are at complete opposite polar ends on about everything regarding the whole fish keeping hobby. She respects my end and I respect hers. She posts diffrent methods and ideas that work for her, to me that is admirable. Personal experience weighs with me tons more than some text book generated post. I can go to google and hit search, if I have a question I would 10X over rather have somebodys personal experience than a re-worded google search result.

Sometimes I may not like what Theresa says, I generally don't when it comes to the tech end of fish keeping. But I don't regard her information as worthless...I regard it as her personal experience, and then post my own contridicting info along with it...and so do other people with other opinions. It gives the original poster a wide array of experiences and methods, its up to them to find their own way in the hobby...we are only here to guide them.

Now as far as the whole attention whore deal. I havent EVER met a human being that wasnt an attention whore. I am...I like it when people pay attention to me, use my advice, etc etc etc. If we werent all attention whores, I doubt we would be such regular posters Wink
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.05.16(Fri)14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I havent EVER met a human being that wasnt an attention whore.

I'm with you there, I think EVERYONE wants attention, just different people go about getting it in different ways (mine's cleavage Laughing )
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.05.16(Fri)14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I think anybody with a fair amount of cleavage does that, I know I do Wink
LR
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.05.16(Fri)15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think anybody with a fair amount of cleavage does that, I know I do

Laughing
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2008.05.16(Fri)19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I do remember when we had a very close-knit community of members.

Over time as the site grew in popularity we attracted more people that seemed to only join and post to start trouble... In fact it got so bad that many of our long time members left (out of frustration of the constant flame wars that broke out). Marcos took aquahobby off aqua rank in hopes of dumping some of the trouble makers. He also got rid of the chat. And after a few years it has chilled out a bit.

I also must say that I stay out of some topics because; many times there seems to be someone that can't wait to be personally insulted, or twist every darn thread into something that it was never meant to be. Personally, I have better things to do with my time than debate every single post that I make. I don't mind explaining myself, but if I have to repeatedly do so, and with the same member over and over again about the same topic, I'd also grow equally frustrated.

I've seen members edit the title of their threads because of members who posted in them. I suppose maybe that was just a joke that I didn't get, or was it a reaction toward another member?
Jason L
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.05.16(Fri)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Dawn. I couldn't be more in agreement with you. I don't mind explaining my methods over and over again, as long as the person asking the question is different. I do my best to answer all Theresa's questions/critiques, but it is getting to me. I, along with many others, are constantly answering/defending the same line of thought every time.

I enjoy helping people and learning from others, but there have been many days when I think of not coming back.

Quote:
All this PUBLIC thread is, is a mud-slinging thread. It serves no other purpose whatsoever. I find it pathetic that you would even try to justify it.

The mud slinging started a long time ago, and hopefully this will be the culmination of it. I hardly think Dusko is the reason for it...
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.05.18(Sun)19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sound like dad here but I couldn't help copying this from the sticky "Maximizing your posting potential" at the top of this sub forum.

Seeking recognition on the board:

It is basic human nature to want to be recognized by our peers. Those who claim to not care about such things are, perhaps, hoping to be recognized for their humility. There are two ways this happens on the board.

a.) The way we think we are recognized.
b.) The way we actually are recognized.

The way we think we are recognized is via the title to the left of our posts, just below our avatars. Some say new members, some members, others advisors, moderators, benefactors etc... These "titles" are intended to benefit forum members by offering some insight into that persons particular perspective. They are not intended to afford some sense of superiority over other board members.

The way we are actually recognized on the board is by the quality and helpfulness of our posts, nothing more. In this sense, we are all potentially equal. Those who communicate their ideas and reasons well will gain the respect of most of the regular forum members. Your age, volume and number of tanks, years of fishkeeping, profession, society memberships etc... play little to no part in this. if you doubt that, just pay attention to what you value when people are replying to your questions. The road to feeling fully valued by the members of this forum is built upon the points previously expressed in this article/stickie:

Post in a positive, helpful manner,
Respect the opinion of others,
Add to the conversation, contribute something meaningful,
Constantly increase your knowledge base and
Be concerned about spelling, grammar and clarity!

That sticky was written some time ago as a cathartic remedy to yet another period of personality clashing.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: