Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Kerri/Royal Tetra -- Nippy??
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.05.09(Fri)0:50    Post subject: Kerri/Royal Tetra -- Nippy?? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever heard of the Kerri or Royal Tetra (Inpaichthys kerri) being nippy or aggressive at all? I have six of these little beauties (Was originally eight, but one died and one turned out to be an Emperor Tetra. Laughing), which I picked up just over a month ago. They've been fine up until the last week or so -- I noticed my male PK, who is normally very mellow and hardly ever flares, has been hiding in and ferociously guarding one corner of the tank, chasing away even the female bettas and cherry barbs who he was normally very docile towards. Then during feeding time he came out and was immediately chased back into hiding when a tiny little Royal tetra gave him a bite on the tail! Sad I also noticed them biting the female bettas, and I realized that they were the reason that the girls' fins were nipped up, NOT the other bettas as I had originally suspected.

So, what should I do?? The Royal Tetras were originally going to go in my 55 gallon tank, but now I'm worried about the angel fish, apistos, and the Ctenopoma, who all have fancy-type fins and are targets for nippy little mouths.

Do you think it's numbers that are the problem? I was planning on getting two more to round out their numbers to eight, just like the rest of my schools of lemon tetras and hatchetfish, but should I maybe bump the numbers to 10 instead?

Do you think putting them in a 55 gallon tank with other, "busier" fish like lemon tetras and hatchetfish will help, given the increased space and activity levels?

Any other theories on why these reputably peaceful fish are terrorizing my bettas and their other tankmates?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help! Smile
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.05.09(Fri)11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they would be okay in the 55 gallon, angelfish and apistos will put them in their place quickly, unlike other cichlids that are always aggressive the tetras will give up after they get told off. At least that is what happened with both my serpaes and GBR and then later on with my apistos and black morphos. I can't say anything on the ansorgii because I have no more clue on them than what I have heard from you. As far as I have found, you are the only person with one of these guys.

If you can find enough, I'd get 10 of them, maybe they just act like tiger barbs, the bigger the school the calmer towards others they are.

I noticed my LFS had some Emperors labeled as Kerri Tetras and some Kerries labeled as Emperors. Both were beautiful fish. Just wondering, where did the lone little Emperor go out of that bunch? Back into Nik's school of the little guys?
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.05.09(Fri)15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jacko. I'll try them in the 55 and see how they do. Maybe a little intimidation is just what they need. All the fish in there besides the apistos are a lot larger than them. I put them in the 30 gallon in the first place so they could grow a little bit so they wouldn't get eaten by my angelfish. :O

I am still a little worried about the C. ansorgii. He's very nonconfrontational and doesn't come out a whole lot. He's already been terrorized by one of the female bettas that was in there (Now removed to the sorority), and never once fought back. We'll just have to see how he does. I'll go out and buy him an entire setup all for his lonesome if he can't get along with the tetras.

They're small enough where I'll up their numbers to 10, depending on how many I can find. My new favourite LFS usually has them in, and I need to go there for another female A. cacatuoides anyway. They usually correctly label the emperors and the royals. But they have HUGE emperors and small Royals, so I don't think they mess it up on a regular basis. Laughing

The little Emperor is still hanging out with my Royals, but as soon as I hear from Nik again, I'll be giving him back to her. ^^
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: