Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sunfish ID
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Butch
Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.22(Tue)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local pond? Release bluegills in that pond? Hope it is private pond since it is illegal for release aquarium fishes in the public water and it can be bad idea since released bluegills can carrying diseases in the waterways, infected other native fishes. Heard of VHS and Herpes lately? So don't release bluegills in pond. Eat them, give away them or kill them, don't release!
veteran-fish
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.24(Thu)17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A local pond? Release bluegills in that pond? Hope it is private pond since it is illegal for release aquarium fishes in the public water...

I thought it was illegal to release non-native fishes. For example, if I cought a local sunfish, kept him for a while until he was too big to live in an aquarium, then realeased him to the waterway I cought him from would that be illegal? I'm not sure about this.

Quote:
A local pond? Release bluegills in that pond? Hope it is private pond since it is illegal for release aquarium fishes in the public water...

It is a privately owned pond, and the pond already contains many kinds of sunfish (including bluegill).

Quote:
...it can be bad idea since released bluegills can carrying diseases in the waterways, infected other native fishes...

I don't know how to tell if they have diseases, and since they aren't acting out of character I'm not sure what to worry about.

Quote:
...Eat them, give away them or kill them, don't release!

If I was to kill them, what would be a recommended way of doing it?

Thanks
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.04.25(Fri)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stocking of any fish into waters of the state is prohibited. Waters of the state pretty much mean any water other than a plastic pond/tub or aquarium. This because nearly all waters are connected through groundwater. Therefor, no waters are privately owned. This includes releasing of any fish (native, or even originally from that body of water) is illegal.
I am in the same boat as you - if I can't find a friend to take my blacknose daces, I can't simply put them back into the stream they came from. Introducing them to an aquarium puts them under stress - when under stress they can contract diseases quite easily. Although they may be diseaseless, and not seem sick, it is certainly worth the life a few captive fish in order to insure the safety of our native fishes. There is no need to risk having an entire body of water contract a disease.
I know it's bad to think about killing things we have come to love, but it's a must.
Since these fish aren't tropicals, the old ice cold water shocking trick won't work. Some folks say and alchohol bath will do the trick, but I don't like the idea of there little gills burning. There are some euthanasia solutions that we use in the lab, but I don't know if you can buy it. (Some people might get mad at me for this -->) If you are a fisherman and take fish to eat, then I am sure you know a way or two that is very quick. If you don't have any guilt on killing them directly, then this is the cheapest and quickest death that you can give your fishes.
I'm sure many other folks have some less gruesome ways and maybe they will chime in - but you've heard my suggestions.
Sorry, buddy. Good luck
veteran-fish
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.25(Fri)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

Poor fish. Sad

Since my tank is overstocked, would it be better to kill the bluegill or keep it overstocked?
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.04.26(Sat)12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many bluegill are there right now? Well, your fish will be a lot happier with space and room to grow, feed and gaurd. If you have it overstocked you will need tons of filtration and a lot of water changes.
veteran-fish
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.27(Sun)10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleWillie wrote:
How many bluegill are there right now?

There are 6 right now. Sadly when I got them I wasn't thinking... Sad

I do have good filtration and I do 1/3 water changes every week.

I'm noticing my fish are getting hurt.. Scales are missing. So I want to know what to do soon...
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.04.27(Sun)11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly suggest euthanizing your bluegill. They are too cramped, and getting aggressive. This stress and wounds are making them even more highly succeptable to infection/disease. I suggest euthanasia ASAP. This can be done by any means you seem fit. But please do not release them.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.05.04(Sun)23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to consider looking around to see if anyone or an educational facility might want the extra fish.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
veteran-fish
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.05.05(Mon)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm repairing a 55 gallon aquarium, and I'm going to put some sunfish in it. Sadly though I don't think there's enough room, and I'm going to have to euthanize some.. Sad

I'm definately keeping the hybrid & the dollar sunfish. Do you think I should keep the dollars in the 30 gallon while the hybrid goes in the 55 gallon? Or the other way around..?
Butch
Members

PostPosted: 2008.05.06(Tue)10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dollar sunfish goes in 30gal tank and the hybrid goes in 55gal tank as the hybrids can be growing more bigger than in 30gal. dollar sunfish are one of smaller Lepomis species.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: