Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
28 gallon bowfront filtration
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
alkamar
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.11(Fri)0:04    Post subject: 28 gallon bowfront filtration Reply with quote

I just bought a used 28 gallon bowfront and Remora C skimmer with pre-skimmer. A maxijet 1200 pump runs it. I was told that I still would need filtration and I really don't want a hang on if possible. I have been looking at the following canisters.

Eheim Filter 2213 - Plus Kit $69.99

RENA Filstar XP 1 $99.99

Magnum 350 Deluxe $77.99
Magnum 350 Pro System $89.99

I know that any of the above will do what I want to do, but I thought I would maybe get some input from you guys. I do like that the Magnum can convert from filtration to polishing mode very quickly, but I don't know how it compares to the Rena and Eheim. What do you guys think?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.04.11(Fri)18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your goal for this system including animals, let's start there.
alkamar
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.11(Fri)19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of clowns, pistol shrimp, goby, soft coral, and possibly a few sps/lps. I may eventually put a clam in there as well.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.04.11(Fri)21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well assuming you have a lower shelf under the display, I would opt for a sump instead of a cannister, you can house a skimmer and heater down there and if you get a 20 gal tank for the sump that will add about 10 gallons of water volume to your system for additional stability.

The overflow box can serve as a mechanical filter from time to time, and you can drop a mesh bag of carbon in the sump for occasional water polishing. All in all, I think the sump will be more beneficial for you in the long run.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: