Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tripled up my Nano!
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Moment
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.30(Sun)19:34    Post subject: Tripled up my Nano! Reply with quote

Hey all. I thought some would be interested to see and comment on my new nano set up. This was a transfer and upgrade project that took me the last week to complete and is still not totally done. Original set up was 5 gallon set up some may have seen my posts of before. I'm not going to spend time describing that setup but will concentrate on the new one for expediency. You can look up previous posts if you like. First a full view picture is an order I think.

To give a quick run down... I crammed 44watts of PC lighting (6500k) and another 60watts (20watts a piece) of xenon lighting into a very small hood that I hacked to pieces.

This is so much light its not funny over 15G tank. The xenon is at 5500K and as I mentioned PC's are 6500K. I got a lead on a specialty bulb shop today from guy at hardware store. So I am hoping to find some higher K rated bulbs.

All this light created the obvious heat issue, especially tucked so neatly into that little cover. This tank is so hacked now its not funny. I went to local computer shop n picked up three case fans.

I built and attractive frame and wired them up to a 12V 1000mA transformer from god knows what old thing and off they went. The cooling/mounting plate now stays icy cold.

Just though all would like to know also that I painted my thumb black in the process.

OK so now for a close up... You can see some of the different tank mates here but not all are in shot, I have some close ups if any would like to discuss.

Just thought this might give some ideas. Nothing is impossible. Just takes some time is all. We had the first 5 pounds of rock from our first 5G nano for 1 1/2 years now. I thought that was an expensive... I bought another 7.5 pounds of rock and 8 pounds of sand this time around. Upwards and onwards. I'll go bigger next time. Hardware was big investment too this time.

All responses welcome, I'd love to discuss more if anyone has questions.

Look! Someone left footprints on the ceiling!
bettaboy69
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.31(Mon)22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

man that looks pretty effiecient, I'm trying to look for clamp on lighting unit for my tropical 2.5 gallon so I can grow plants, any suggestions? can't find any online seems like they don't sell lights for small tanks.
Moment
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.04.01(Tue)10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.5 gallon? What kinda plant do you plan to put in such a small tank? Likely will be very difficult to grow in such a small tank, keeping nutrient level up for plant and not to kill fish in such small space will be very difficult. Not to be negetive, I love my planted tank. It is 45G with C02 added and T5 HO lighting.

Do you have any bigger tanks you could make into nice planted tank, I have had a few big plant setups , I'm no expert but I've done a lot of research. I would love to help.

I just think you won't get the results you want no matter what in 2.5g you could try maybe some java fern or other low light plant, but they grow big sometimes.

Moment
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.04.01(Tue)12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update. I did find better bulbs at specialty shop. Didn't find higher K but did find a corkscrew type CF bulb that fits as well as ones that I had before. Bonus is that they are 23W a piece, so I now have 92W over the nano universe. Thats just the 6500K CF, not including the other 60Ws of xenon. CF's are long, narrow corkscrew as opposed to short, wide ones that are common with higher wattage from brand name suppliers. So bloody bright!

bettaboy69
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.02(Wed)23:00    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

well I do have a 10, 20g l and a 5 but the bigger the tank is the more money it is too yanoe. I'm currently using the 10 and 5 for housing baby bettas. anywaysi went to check out lfs and they don't have any small lightings. so I think it might try to plant my 5 g instead would that be better? I'd probably just transfer the bettas in there to there own containers. I;m also going to make a diy co2 system out of a 1 liter gatorade bottle. would this be safe for a 5 gallon?

Sorry so many question:S
Moment
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.04.03(Thu)7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well CO2 is definitely going to help, but before you start you should read through Rexx Griggs site. Just google rexx grigg, you will learn more there then I could ever type. You can also find him responding in this forums page on planted aquariums, trust me thats the place for all those kinds of discussions

bettaboy69
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.03(Thu)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha thanks man!
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: