Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Editing origional posts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
KingFisher
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.29(Sat)20:57    Post subject: Editing origional posts Reply with quote

Please, if you start a thread, do not edit your original post, as this causes some of the following posts to make no sense. Add a new post if you feel compelled to alter the information stated in your first one. It will save a lot of confusion. Thank you.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.03.30(Sun)7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ninja edit! It is certainly NOT considered good netiquette to do this, that's for sure... makes anyone who replies look foolish if they speak to something not in the post! LOL
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.30(Sun)11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one first post was edited, and the whole post replaced with "Thank you". I saw it after this edit, and actually have absolutely no idea what the original post/question was - rather annoying as otherwise I may have been able to offer more advice, or if not, learn something from it.
Slimy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.30(Sun)11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like users can't delete their post once someone replied, maybe there's a way to disable editing for users if a post has a reply.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.03.30(Sun)11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that happen to me on two different threads by the same person. He had gotten the names mixed up and I corrected them. Then the pics were switched and it looked like I didn't know what I was talking about. Bad feeling.
Slimy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.30(Sun)11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where me, KingFisher, number6 and CAllain edit our posts to make them look like a discussion about "briefs or boxers" at susankatomerit's expense.
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2008.03.30(Sun)11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone is editing posts to cause problems, or causes a thread to not make sense anymore... I would start quoting the OP in the thread and send a PM to a mod so we can see what's going on. I'd be more than happy to have a talk with the offender. Editing a post is for correcting errors, not to make everyone look silly.
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.03.30(Sun)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slimy wrote:
Quote:
Just like users can't delete their post once someone replied, maybe there's a way to disable editing for users if a post has a reply.
Can't tell if Slimy was joking, but this is a very bad idea. I don't suppose it will ever happen; I hope not, anyway. We need to be able to get into our own posts to make necessary changes, or corrections. Spelling errors for example, or details of fact. Certain forums rely heavily on editing. What about Site Submissions, where editing is a must? Or Ads and Links? The forums would soon become very bulky, and posting counts would shoot up dramatically, if we all had to type a new post everytime we made a correction or added a fact. Let's just please leave it the way it is, and just remind people to not remove their whole first post. If they do, and it causes a problem, then delete the whole thread, I say, and PM the OP. I don't see it as much of a problem on AH, anyway.

This does make a case for Full Post Quoting, though, doesn't it, Dawn? Something that is done too often now, and which Marcos hates!
Laughing
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.03.30(Sun)12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slimy wrote:
This is where me, KingFisher, number6 and CAllain edit our posts to make them look like a discussion about "briefs or boxers" at susankatomerit's expense.

Funniest reply ever! Laughing
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.30(Sun)12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Certain forums rely heavily on editing.

That's a good point - and what about the tank specs thread for the project on tank size for cories? We all need to update our own posts for that one
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: