Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Coldwater fish tank 80 gallons
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Trish
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.29(Sat)9:16    Post subject: Coldwater fish tank 80 gallons Reply with quote

I have had a cold water fish tank for over a year now. I am amazed at the duff information I have received from various suppliers. For instance, I have four what I thnk are called blue mountain clouds, (these fish look exactly the same as zebra danios), 4 neon tetras, 4 red tail minnows, 1 pleco catfish and 2 other cat fish but I have no idea what species (they look similar to goldfish but are plumper) All these fish were sold to me as cold water fish. Please can someone advise me as I want to add some more fish but keep getting conflicting advice as to them being tropical/cold water.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.03.29(Sat)9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like you have any coldwater fish, a few are sub tropical and neons are certainly tropical fish. What is your room temperature as it must be above about 70F for the neons to have survived.

As to your fish;-
blue mountain clouds, (these fish look exactly the same as zebra danios) It is a fair bet these are zebra danios. Laughing low end tropical.
4 neon tetras - true tropical fish.
4 red tail minnows, - possibly white cloud mountain minnows but they could be bloodfins or red tailed rasboras or something completely different.
Pleco - these are tropical.
2 other catfish - these need identifying as I can't think of any catfish that looks like a godfish but plumper Confused
Do they have barbels? What colour are they?
Have a look in the galley at golden barbs, koi and black shark.

Why not buy a heater? Even if you don't raise the temperature much you will even it out.
Butch
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.31(Mon)11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe trade these tropical species that you have for the fishes thats suited to your tank. Zebra danios and white cloud mountain minnows are actually subtropical fishes but they can do well without heater as long as your room temp don't change very much.

You can try some species to your coldwater aquarium:

Medaka Killifish
Red Rosy Minnow
Fancy Goldfish (depends on what kind)
Pepper and Salt corydoras
Paradise Fish
Variatus Platy
Dojo Loach (likes in groups and can reach a foot long)
Prehaps even North American native fishes (depends on what kind are they and how big they are)

Or you can add the heater to your tank.
The choice is yours.
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.03.31(Mon)16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your tank inside, in a basement, garage, (what is the temp for the moajority of the day?) Depending on this, IME, danios will do fine in cool (not cold) water. Also, WCMM are cold water fish. They are able to 'adapt' to warmer water in aquaria. Maybe check them out in the gallery and on the internet. I love mine and they are kept w/out a heater. In fact. many people keep them in outside ponds (get very cold in winter).
As I mentioned, depending on what your tank's temp is, this will depend on what species to add (ie which ones are like cool water and which was will simply tolerate it). As those above mentioned, you can take you unsuitable fish back, perhaps get some credit and set up a strictly cool-water set-up.
You have had it running for a year, so appearently you haven't had much trouble. But if you decide to keep the current stock, just stick in a heater as everone said. That would be your best bet if you are attached to your fish and don't want to loose money on returning them.
Trish
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.03(Thu)9:18    Post subject: Coldwater fish tank 80 gallons Reply with quote

Many thanks to the advice received. I spent about three hours on the forum and found out a lot about my fish. I am an animal lover so there was no way I was going to take my fish back. I went out and bought a heater within the day and what a difference it has made to my fish. They are very lively now and look like they're having a fab time. The water was fairly warm anyway before I added the heater. I only questioned the fact re the fish being cold water as I was going to purchase a few more fish and I did a 50% water change and six of the poor things perished 2 neons and 4 harlequins. I was distraught at the time and I will never take advice from the people who sold me the fish originally or buy from them again!!!!! Now I spend so much time watching my fish tank that my housework is suffering!!! Once again many thanks.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: