Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
[split] ID Shark (off-topic)
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
crmarti
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.24(Mon)21:23    Post subject: [split] ID Shark (off-topic) Reply with quote

WOW you all are so so tactful
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.03.24(Mon)22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split here since your unpunctuated sarcastic blanket statement adds nothing to the original topic. Also, you might want to get better informed about the people you're judging and their history on the board before voicing an opinion. These are experienced hobbyists who come here every single day out of their own good will to help out complete strangers give their pet fishes a better life. In that topic they're replying to someone who's been registered on the board for THREE YEARS and (as mentioned in the topic) has yet to be bothered into figuring out the size of his tank. "Tactful" is hardly efficient in getting the message through in that particular case, although it is regularly applied extremely well in almost any other case, which you could have easily verified if you'd bothered to look it up...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.25(Tue)10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Marcos.

It is quite frustrating when people ask for advice and then can't/won't be bothered to give further information so the best advice possible can be given. As Marcos pointed out, this particular member has been registered for three years and therefore should know better than to purchase a fish and "forget" what size it grows to. Basically saying "oh well, I could've flushed it" is what really irked me because it was as if the OP wasn't accepting responsibility for his mistake but was instead justifying it by listing a worse mistake he could've made.

And while I'm on my rant (and now I'm going a bit off topic), another thing that bothers me is when people say "Oh well, the fish would've been worse off at the LFS." Just because fish don't live in optimal conditions in their temporary lives at the LFS doesn't mean that we, as responsible fishkeepers, shouldn't strive to give that fish the best life possible. Just because fish might survive in terrible/less than optimal conditions doesn't mean that they are "happy" Rolling Eyes or thriving.

I guess the moral of the story is: before you make a statement (especially on a post that you have no prior involvement in) please take the time to consider who you are making the statement to, and why they may have acted in the manner they did. First of all, if several long time members of the board are giving the same advice and making the same sorts of statements, consider the possibility that the advice is sound and the statements are justified. Many people on this board are frustrated by constantly trying to help out members and basically having their advice thrown back in their face. It's like "Gosh, I know I asked for advice, but I'm going to do it my own way, anyway."

Now I'll add a disclaimer: **This post in no way is directed towards the AoA membership as a whole. There are a lot of great members, new and old, that are willing to eat a slice of humble pie and admit the fact that someone just might know more than they do. Most of us were once in the same boat, and knew little about fishkeeping. Additionally, none of us claim to know everything, but it is the combined knowledge of everyone on this board that makes it such a valuable tool for advancement of the fishkeeping hobby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: