Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
goldfish with tropicals
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Rissa03
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.21(Fri)19:38    Post subject: goldfish with tropicals Reply with quote

my boyfriend and I were talking about goldfish earlier today and he was told at one point in time that the reason it would be bad to put them with tropicals was because of some oil they have? I always and still think its the temp difference between the 2 but if that is a reason I'd like to know
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.03.21(Fri)20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I have ever heard of, no. Also, they will make lunch out of plants and/or tankmates, some people have lost plecos twice their size in a goldfish tank. That is an interesting notion, but I have never seen any information on it and just checked google but got nothing.

I'll read my really old goldfish books and see if they have anything to say on such matters, it might be an old notion that was disproved, but the books are still circulating so it is still out there.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.23(Sun)5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rissa03 ,

Several factors affect goldfish when keeping them with tropicals. Diet , housing , temperature , tankmates are a few to begin with.Goldfish are coldblooded and need cooler waters to make them happy ( 65 F - 72 F ) .Warmer waters slow their bodies immune and metabolisim systems , produce lower amounts of oxygen which causes them to breath rapidly and you see most of them hovering near the surface of any aquarium gasping for air.They rarely if at all breed at higher temps too.Diets with goldfish are mostly plant related and protein content should not exceed 30 percent.Tankmates should include other goldfish and even there you may have problems mixing fancy goldfish ( Orandas , Bubble-eye , Ranchu , Fantails ) with their slender -torpedo shaped cousins ( Commons, Comets , Shubunkins , Koi ).Housing Goldfish is and will be the most important choice any aquarist keeping these species will make to keep them alive and well ( Some goldfish are known to have lived 20 + yrs , Koi reaching 30 + ) . From personal experiences / choices I have given roughly between 10-20 gallons of water per goldfish depending on the species with more given to Koi.

Tropicals , and keep in mind that there are hundreds if not thousands of species with their own requirements are a different story.We can go on forever stating what make them happy but we would be here many days/ nights Very Happy ! There are many books , magazines , and of course the internet to help you find out what works and doesn't so a little homework doesn't hurt. Good luck with any future plans !

ACE
johnjohn
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.01(Tue)18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's all relative. Most tropicals and fancy goldfish can live well in temperatures in the low 70's . In fact some goldfish types do fine in temperatures ranging in the mid 70's, like pearl scales and black moors.

That being said, the issue here is the compatibility of some species. Goldfish are peaceful fish in general and they can easily get bullied by some types of tropical fish. I read that goldfish produce more slime coat than tropical fish but I don't know how can that affect the over all life of a tank.

I have a 20 gallon tank with a black moor. He had another moor as a tank mate but he died from a horrible accident. The point is that I went to buy some plants at the store. The plants were in a huge tank heavily populated with guppy fry. My surprise was big when I got home for a baby guppy had managed to get in the plant bag. I let the tiny guppy free in the tank and after 3 months she gets along well with the moor. I mix high protein food with goldfish food, they both eat the same. Due to the size of the guppy, water parameters remain perfect. I keep a heater so the water is always 74 degrees.

Yet, I am not suggesting you should intentionally mix goldfish with tropical fish. While from my experience it is possible you should take the following into consideration:
-overcrowding which can lead to many health problems.
-tank size. Your goldfish will probably outgrow his tropical tank mate real fast.
-aggressive and territorial species that can attack and ultimately kill your goldie.

Just my two cents.
Tari
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.15(Tue)16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few tropicals do well with goldfish. Goldfish get very very big and need lots of filteration. Most tropicals do not like all that water moving around.
They have different diet needs and temp needs.
I don't do it and would not advice anyone else to do it. Not if they want all their fish to live as long as they should.
cichlidboy22
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.04.17(Thu)7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldfish can live at tropical temperatures. The native range of the carp (goldfishes and kois common ancestor) actually lived in western asia and eastern europe, from southern russia to northern Pakistan, and east to siberia and central china. Around here they thrive in mud holes that get above 80 degrees in the summer. Overall the issue isn't in how hardy they are but in how many tank mates they will eat. Around here people are-encouraged to kill them because they eat the eggs and fry of trout, bass, walleye and any other edible matter.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')
Tari
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.22(Tue)6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be true but I believe we are talking about goldfish in a fish tank. They need 10 x the water filtration and this makes lots of current. Example my 75 gallon tanks has 1050 WPG filteration. Can a guppy stand that?
Most tropical fish can not deal with all that water movement or all the waste that goldfish put out and they have a very different diet then most tropicals.
So I would still not advice mixing them.
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.04.22(Tue)10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

It boils down to a matter of opinion really. I keep a small feeder goldfish in my 25G planted tank with tiger barbs, female bettas, kuhli loaches, and hillstreams.And I tell you that small feeder runs circles around even the most dedicated of aglae eating tropical species.

None of my tanks are heated first and formost my parents keep the house in the mid 70s and the tanks are never below 75*F...so it wouldnt matter if they had their own tank or not...the temps are going to be the same. My tanks are also really well filtered, so my goldfish isnt having a problem there.

The backyard breeder I got my oscars from kept large comets in with the mated pair as dithering fish...the golds would eat the algae from the tank and wouldnt pester the oscars and they were to her words a great clean up crew for scraps the oscars leave behind. I cannot advocate it nor condemn keeping golds and tropicals together....it boils down to the specific setup and individual fish.
Tari
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.22(Tue)13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is only a matter of opion if you don't want your goldfish to live 10 to 15 years they can live in a tank with proper care.
Butch
Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.22(Tue)14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very few tropical (mostly subtropical) fishes as tankmate that are suited for the goldfish (both fancy and singletails). Red Rosy Minnows, Cloud White Mountain Minnows and few North American native fishes can coexisted with goldfish peacefully as long as the tankmates cannot fit in the goldfish's mouth. My blind comet goldfish (no eyes) had no problems capture some guppies or gambusia as meal. So goldfish can be predatory some times.

Pleco and algae eaters are worst tankmates for goldfish and so are livebearers which likes to pick on the fancy goldfish's slime on its body.

Orfe, koi, red rosies, gambusia and tench are good pond mates of singletailed goldfish and wakins.

Tropical fishes and goldfish are not good mix because of their different requirements and tank size.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: