Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Changing Systems
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Funky Fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.20(Thu)13:37    Post subject: Changing Systems Reply with quote

Hey!
I want to get lighting for my tank so I can grow corals, its a nice overhead unit with 2 T5 lights and 1 white and blue antic in it too! Smile
BUT..

I have a trickle fliter which is in the hood of my tank at the momment with the lights I have now ( just ordinary marine bulbs). So if I got the overhead T5's, the trickle has to go, thus leaving me with no filter Sad
So..
Could I get a canister filter then and put all my bioballs and the few pads I have into it with the new pads that would come with it and let it run?
I wonder because the new pads and new filter in general needs alittle time to create bacteria to support my system .
Or what about removing the trickle and adding a HOB protein skimmer without the canister?

And just so you know the reason I don't a protein skimmer now is that, internal annoy me and I have a hooded tank so no external or hang on back room Crying or Very sad

So whats my best plan of action?
Any questions, fire ahead!
Thanks a lot guys in advance!
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.03.20(Thu)23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of cannisters.
I think you should consider a sump, which can be set up with a trickle filter employing live rock for surface media, and also used to house a skimmer. Set up properly, all of this will add tremendous flexibility, turnover, oxygen and benefit to your animals. I would set this up and allow a few weeks before removing your current bio filter.
Funky Fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.21(Fri)5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that gives me a lot to think about,
when I read your message I went off to google crazy!
It seems great!
But I don't know if I could handle it with being 15 and not that many funds!
I think for now I will just try an internal skimmer, ugly as them seem I think I could hide it behind some live rock.

But sump is going under serious consideration!
Do you use them a lot ?
How big would my sump need to be? Would an unused 80L tank suffice?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.03.21(Fri)12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funky Fish wrote:

Do you use them a lot ?

I have used them for years with great success.

Quote:
How big would my sump need to be? Would an unused 80L tank suffice?

Hmmm, assuming a 37 gal display as shown in your profile, yes I think that might be large enough, the important thing is that you do not overflow the sump in case of a power outage.

However, you may have a problem fitting the overflow box on the back of your tank, as you said you have a "hooded tank."

Here is everything you ever wanted to know about sumps, and how to make one yourself (although personally, I suggest buying the sump and overflow box together if possible to reduce leakage issues):
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bcorsettingup/a/aa020298sumps.htm
Funky Fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.21(Fri)16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz WOW!
That first link just...all the info and ...... Shocked
For one thing I'm getting a wavemaker and highly considering now the sump as it doesn't seem to overwhelming!
I will get a pre-made acrylic one for my first time and all, will save some hassle! And I would be OK to do that the overflow box, as it will fit so long as I get the right one!!

So much to take in!!
Thanks a million for that!!! So helpfull!
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: