Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Algae eaters in an african cichlid tank?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
turk359
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.18(Tue)13:52    Post subject: Algae eaters in an african cichlid tank? Reply with quote

I recently set up a African cichlid tank and was wondering if it is OK to mix they with algae eaters? I tried ottos and snails but they both met their demise...
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.18(Tue)14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of African cichlids?

I have mbuna (Cynotilapia sp. white top hara and Pseudotropheus saulosi) and they slaughtered a poor albino bristlenose plecostomus that was in there, and bristlenoses are one of the most recommended plecos for a mbuna tank.

Needless to say, I won't be putting any more algae eaters in there. My advice to you would be to buy a glass cleaning magnet for the front and possibly the sides of your tank, and leave the back natural and algae covered. Herbivorous cichlids (like mbuna) will apprecate the algae snack. Wink

Definitely don't try any more otos. They are peaceful and virtually defenseless. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
cichlidboy22
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.18(Tue)14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use the big golden apple snails? I have found them to be large enough that my africans only pick at the feelers. Not ideal but unless you have a tank large enough for a pleco it is the only thing you can do. Or you could put hundreds of ramshorns in there. A few might survive to breed. (Africans eat little snails).I can't do that because none of my LFS carry that many snails. Also how large is your tank and what type of africans do you have?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')
turk359
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.18(Tue)14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are mbuna's....yeah I knew I was taking a chance with the ottos...

I thought I might get away with some really large snails...I sat there and watched the electric yellow pick at the snails antenna...

I guess the best way to go is the magnet....

Thanks.
Rissa03
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.20(Thu)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a chinese algae eater in my 55 gal. he gets chased around a little but has learned to pick his battles and is growing fine with my cichlids. those little suckers are mean cleaners!
kingeroc
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.21(Fri)10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep 2 bulldog/rubber plecos in my mbuna tank and they both seem to hold their own and are only bothered when fighting for an algae tab
DrexelTanker0712
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.22(Sat)20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have concivt cichlids and I can not keep anything else with them, not even algae eaters, it's a shame, they attack and kill everything, especially when they breed, which is quite often
Mogwai
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.03.23(Sun)8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulldog plecs prefer the lower end of tropical temperatures, about 23C, whereas most Mbuna need the higher end of this scale (27-28C), and hard, alkaline water.

As for apple snails, keeping them at the sort of temperatures Mbuna need will drastically shorten their lifespan - they need the low end of tropical (some aquarists would argue they actually need a coldwater setup). The picking at their antenna you mention is likely to eventually kill them.

You're better to go with glass scraping as suggested!

Very Happy
Skittles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.24(Mon)12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience Chinese Algae eaters work well in an African cichlid setup. They normally terrorize a community tank.
Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.11(Fri)9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

have u tryed putting a bigger and faster species of bristlenose in
bacause I have some bristlenoses with my african cichlids
mine are about 1.5" each and I have 3 which are gettin on fine with my cichlids
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: