Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fish Leeches
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
kissaragi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.10(Mon)9:18    Post subject: Fish Leeches Reply with quote

Hi, I have a roughly 2500L pond in the garden that did have three goldfish in. One died in the winter then I started seeing one of the others with multiple fish leeches attached to its body, I kept removing them and added some anti parasite stuff to the water but the fish died a couple of weeks later. I now only have one goldfish left in the pond and hes started getting fish leeches attached to his tail.

What can I do to get rid of these things? Would more fish help? Or is there something that will eat the leeches I can introduce? Id rather not keep adding chemicals if I can help it.
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.03.10(Mon)16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these critters are in fact leeches, I have no clue how to remove them. Are they lamprey? If so, where are you from? If lampreys, depending on species, most all lampreys will not directly kill the fish because they are killing their source of food. However, there are very few species (sea lamprey, which you don't have) that will kill its host. Is it possible for you to post a pic of one of these? They do make lampeyside, usually are only available in large quantities. Also, this may effect your fish. Many fish will eat lampreys. But I don't want to waste your time if they are not lampreys. Sorry if I have wasted you time. Sorry to hear about your fishes. Good luck.
-Willie
kissaragi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.10(Mon)17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah sorry, I'm in the UK, so gets pretty cold out there in the winter... and the summer sometimes! The goldfish are all about 7 years old and had been in aquariums most of their life until last spring when I built the pond. so stunting, etc have probably damaged their health and contributed to their deaths.

The Leeches are about an inch long, 1-2mm thick and have black and white stripes, they look a bit caterpillar like actually. They latch on to the fish but don't swell too much from feeding that I've noticed and I can remove them quite easily by gripping the leech with tweezers firmly and just letting the fish swim away from me. Theres no obvious damage from removing them to the fish (the leeches get squashed!).

I was wondering if a few more goldfish would actually start eating the leeches themselves? Although I suppose when the waters cold none of them do much so they would fall prey to them again.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.03.11(Tue)3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the leeches actually caused the deaths.
Here is the best guide I could find on them but although they are found in most ponds they rarely become a hazard to fish.
kissaragi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.11(Tue)7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I can just keep an eye on things, but ignore them?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: