Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
White specs(dots)
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
scottp1981
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.07(Fri)16:48    Post subject: White specs(dots) Reply with quote

I noticed today my Black Skirt Tetra has a bunch of white little dots or specs all over him. Just curious what this is and what I need to do to get rid of them. And will it hurt my other fish???? Please help soon
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.03.07(Fri)17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better read the articles about ich. Ich looks like someone salted your fish. IF this is what you see, I suggest treating with heat and salt. There is link to a couple of how to cure ich articles to the left. If you have any questions, be sure to ask!
Cathy
scottp1981
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.09(Sun)18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathy G wrote:
Better read the articles about ich. Ich looks like someone salted your fish. IF this is what you see, I suggest treating with heat and salt. There is link to a couple of how to cure ich articles to the left. If you have any questions, be sure to ask!
Cathy

Thanks for the help Cathy, so far I have turned the temp up and bought some ich cure from petsmart. Just about to add the second dose as per directions. My Black skirts still have the white specs so hoping this second dose gets rid of them.
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.09(Sun)18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably better off using the heat and salt method. But alas, you already started the store-bought meds.

Read the articles. See those buttons on the left? Yeah, click the one that says articles. It will help you understand what is happening to your fish. The white dots will go away, but that's the most dangerous time... and the time when you need to kill the parasite. Those dots are kind of like eggs. When they disappear, the parasite is free-swimming and can reattach to the host fish or another fish (usually those in poor health or under stress).
scottp1981
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.11(Tue)13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luna wrote:
You are probably better off using the heat and salt method. But alas, you already started the store-bought meds.

Read the articles. See those buttons on the left? Yeah, click the one that says articles. It will help you understand what is happening to your fish. The white dots will go away, but that's the most dangerous time... and the time when you need to kill the parasite. Those dots are kind of like eggs. When they disappear, the parasite is free-swimming and can reattach to the host fish or another fish (usually those in poor health or under stress).

Well here we are four days into the treatment and my black skirt tetra looks like he has it worse than when we started. I turned the heat up to 80 and did the store bought treatment the only thing left for me to do is the marine salt now. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. He is the only fish in the tank that has any white spots left on him.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.11(Tue)13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the other fish in your tank? Some fish (such as cory catfish) do not tolerate salt well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
scottp1981
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.11(Tue)14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikelodeon79 wrote:
What are the other fish in your tank? Some fish (such as cory catfish) do not tolerate salt well.

1 glofish, 1 plecostamus, 2 black skirt tetras, 2 white skirt tetras, 2 glowlight tetras, 1 mickey mouse platty, 2 black and yellow platty's.
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.11(Tue)18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine salt isn't really what you want to use. Look for "aquarium salt" at your LFS. It'll probably be where they keep the medications and food. If it helps, the brand most often seen is API and it's a blue/pink/yellow box.

I can't really comment on salt tolerance, though. I don't remember all the species that are intolerant to salt.

I may be mistaken, but I think I read something a while ago about using ordinary table salt. Not sure...
scottp1981
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.11(Tue)22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for any more replys before I could add the salt my entire tank has died other than my pleco and my two black and yellow platty's and I've noticed they have white specs on them now as well. I did everything I could changed water daily, store bought treatment and raised the temp. Its a sad day in my house. Crying or Very sad
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: