Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Chatroom background
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Site Issues  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.07(Fri)1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I moderate the chatroom? I'll rule with an iron, but fair fist

Yay! I vote for Slimy!

Quote:
this whole cult you have going on that you refer to as "the others" seems to be a sick game to degrade and demean other members. I hope someone takes action with it, because I fear it is painting a bad name on aquahobby.

"The Others" is a joke cheese. Don't worry, we haven't any plans for world domination. Rolling Eyes In case you hadn't noticed, some of those referring to themselves as "The Others" are very well respected members of this forum.

Quote:
If the present chat room users do not wish to see this happen again (at least not as soon as it seems to be evolving to) we need to come to an agreement here and now: you need to put on a tougher skin if you wish to participate in chats,

I wasn't sure if I should respond in a PM to you, Marcos, but I figured you have enough worthwhile PMs to deal that you don't need one about something so silly.

The chatroom is working fine, aside from one person. That person has mentioned that he was going to try and get the chat shut down, so I feel as if shutting it down might not be the best option. My advice would be to simply ignore stupid, petty little complaints and let the other, responsible people who frequent the chatroom deal with the issues that arise. We all realize that people can pose as other people and we all realize there's always going to be someone who goes in there merely to cause trouble. We'll deal with it. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.03.07(Fri)9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I was able to enter as owner at home (for some reason I'm not recognized as owner when I'm at work) and change the background to the Entry Page photo.

Our moderator Irons has brought a very interesting new option: a chat room software package that's ridiculously cheap (only $5) that can be installed in the aquahobby.com domain and possibly integrated into the phpBB board, meaning that people would then have to login there with the same username/password as the board. If all of this is true and if the software isn't too heavy on the server, it seems like a fantastic solution so I'll look further into it when I have the time.

I'm pretty sure that Slimy would make a very good moderator, but for now the chat room will remain as is, unmonitored and unmoderated.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
small alien
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.07(Fri)10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tend to agree with Cheese. The one time I went there it just seemed like 6 or 7 people trying to figure what sex they were behind their fishy avatars and catchy user names. I didn't see a darn thing about fish go by for 5-10 minutes and gave up on it without comment. It could be a cool feature but it seemed kinda lame. At least that time. Do people ever talk about fish on there? -the small one
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.07(Fri)10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the board is for fish discussion. The chat room is more of a members to get to know each other kind of thing, but with that said we do talk about fish in there a lot. In all honesty if your old enough to be online alone, your old enough for the content that happens in the chatroom for the regular members. On a rare occasion there will be a dark humor oriented *joke* which I am to blame for a lot of the time but it is just that...a joke.

Jump in and ask a fish question...everybody in there is kind of nerdy and passionate about the hobby I can guarantee you we'll be beside ourselves with giddy fishy nerdyness that whatever was being talked about before...will be dropped like a cheap hat and the fish question will be avidly replied to.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.03.07(Fri)10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

small alien wrote:
It could be a cool feature but it seemed kinda lame. At least that time. Do people ever talk about fish on there? -the small one

There is a "game" being played in chat right now with both sides having a great deal of "fun" IMHO. But all the players of the game do seem to be able to settle down and talk fish when a real question popped up.

Chat is not for everyone... for certain! So if the banter isn't to your liking, stick to the board! You will certainly get assistance. Very Happy

Cheers!
cheese-737
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.07(Fri)12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would tend to agree with Cheese. The one time I went there it just seemed like 6 or 7 people trying to figure what sex they were behind their fishy avatars and catchy user names. I didn't see a darn thing about fish go by for 5-10 minutes and gave up on it without comment. It could be a cool feature but it seemed kinda lame. At least that time. Do people ever talk about fish on there? -the small one

It does seem to be like a big game right now. Its because I must have goofed and asked an innocent question that lead to cut-throat behavior. There are members that use the chat regularly and think they "own" it. There are even moderators that go there and if you do not suck up to them or be all "oh, you are number one, your the greatest", they will hold it against you by using the power they have on the boards to do so. It seems sad that these rude, and immature people have such priveliges.

with regards to what marcos had said, if the chat does go over to this new software and is by aquahobby, is it going to be moderated? if it is, I think it would be a good idea to try and prevent the moderator that was there stirring up trouble, and any other member that was using it when it all went to whazoo, should not have such priveliges, because they will be less of a third party arbitrator, but an added strength in the "the others" army. But that is just a question and my opinion, and if there are any other people that agree with this, PLEASE SPEAK UP, because this could really effect everyone on this board.[/quote]

Last edited by cheese-737 on 2008.03.07(Fri)12:42; edited 1 time in total
Slimy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.07(Fri)12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to dignify this with a reply. We (almost) all know better.
As Marcos said... Let's keep this off the boards, please.
And thank you for the new background.
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.07(Fri)12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you forgotten that *YOU* impersonated a fellow member, made obscene advances toward other chatters using the fellow members name, and then come back as various aliases being a complete dick to everybody in there. Yet you naturally like to play the role of the poor pitiful victim and how the other chat uses are just horrible. I've heard it all before, been there done that on a number of these forums. You fit the profile perfectly for an internet dip...but really you don't fool anyone with your so called clever switch up of user IDs and your poor pitiful me they were mean to me in the chat BS. Perhaps one day you can use that intelligence of yours for something other than being a jackass...or perhaps you won't, the choice is yours.

I am an avid believer in letting people find out for themselves how things are. But the majority speaks cheese...the chat is a valuable asset, and I for one am not going to let somebody such as yourself ruin it for those of us who enjoy the priveledge of using it. But if any of the members really want to find out how the chat rolls...visit it, stay more than 10minutes and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly pleased to find its a very hospitiable environment.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.03.07(Fri)12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has already been requested that issues within chat not be brought over onto this forum. it seems that this is too much to ask of some people.

Accusations against members (including moderators) such as the ones mentioned in this thread are extremely inappropriate and if such behavior was indeed occuring, then it is a serious matter that would need to be dealt with. Evidence should be forwarded to a moderator with a request for the admin and mod team to look into the problem.

Site issues is not the proper place for such accusations to be looked into.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: