Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A little try to explain myself...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Heather2128
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.29(Fri)9:58    Post subject: Re: A little try to explain myself... Reply with quote

Theresa1 wrote:
Plants: "What is a planted tank?", that is the first thing I asked myself when reading on english fish keeping pages for the first time. I thought: "OK, maybe it's one of those fancy japanese style tanks." No... it was ANY kind of tank with plants in it. Now... In Europe there is nothing else than planted tanks. Even our Malawi tanks are quite well planted.

I am sorry but have you ever looked on the Practical Fishkeeping website? There are pleny of European tanks on there that have plastic plants & ornaments in them. This is a question of preference, not what is right or wrong. My silver dollars eat any plant that I try to keep, but my tank is working great, & I am proud of it. My plastic plants look good! Wink
Heather R
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2008.03.01(Sat)6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason L wrote:
it's how you make blanket statements, backing them up with little more than "...thats how we do things in Europe." If you want people to believe you, you can't get confrontational and expect them to just believe.

I would also appreciate it if you stop "speaking" for all of Europe, as much as I would appreciate it if you stopped calling everyone over here Americans. I am Canadian, which is like grouping Swedes and Finns together. Ahh... National pride....

Exactly! I know of plenty of people from European countries who do not follow this particular way of keeping fish. Some even.... gasp....have plastic plants!

Not everyone on this side of the pond is "American" as Jason pointed out there are other countries over here such as Canada and even Mexico. There is also Cuba, Peurto Rico and all the countries in Cnetral and South American. People from Baja, Vancouver or even Rio and not "Americans". That would be like me calling Dusko a "Danish Man" or that "French guy" because he is European, so they are all the same. Not very nice right? (Sorry Dusko you fantastic Swedish man, I just needed an example). I happen to be American and would get pretty ticked if I was refered to as anything else.

If all the plants need are light and water, why will they brown out, and even die without nutrients? Why will the most care free plants such as java fern start to send off daugher plants when they do not have enough nutrients in the water? This is a way for the plant, to insure that some of it survives.
keeno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.09(Sun)4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have some good points there, Theresa, but I couldnt help but notice that you completely excluded us asian peoples. That makes us asian peoples feel left out. Then the asian peoples will feel sad and start crying. you wouldnt want the asian peoples to do that, would you?
Laughing
Scipio
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.09(Sun)9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeno wrote:
you have some good points there, Theresa, but I couldnt help but notice that you completely excluded us asian peoples. That makes us asian peoples feel left out. Then the asian peoples will feel sad and start crying. you wouldnt want the asian peoples to do that, would you?
Laughing

keeno, I believe you and Marcos are the ony members here that live in East Asia Wink .

Theresa was trying to compare the two larger groups; North American vs. European way of fish-keeping.
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.03.09(Sun)11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is also the asian way, but we should not try to segregate fishkeeping by geographic location.

I think that most of her methods are valid, but like so many people have said, its the fact that she gets defensive, and the way she says "we in europe" and statements like that. I fairly closely follow the methods that she uses, and I have never once been attacked for it, and that just goes to show, its not about the content, but how it is presented, as another member has already said.

anyway, I value her judgement and I hope she will stay and share her knowledge and expierience, but the whole european vs north american thing has to stop, as well as the being highly defensive. everybody has a different method, and if you attack them every time they differ slightly from the methods you lay out for them, or whenever they question these methods, we will get nowhere.

I think all that needs to be said has been said here, so lets all just get along and share our fishkeeping here on this board without the bickering Smile

keeno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.10(Mon)5:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what I said was mostly a joke, but I did have a point.
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.03.10(Mon)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we should not try to segregate fishkeeping by geographic location.

There are only two categories we should be focused on;
Fish-Having and Fish-Keeping!

No matter where you come from, you will find those two groups around you.
Other than that there is no such way as European, American, Asian, etc fish-keeping.

Regards, Dusko.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.11(Tue)2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellllll... here in Korea, there is nothing called fish keeping... just fish killing.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.03.11(Tue)5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeno, that's exactly the type of blanket statement that gets Theresa1 into trouble, and I'd strongly suggest that you avoid it as well. It's one thing to say "I don't know any good fishkeepers in Korea", and another completely different (and inappropriate one) to say "There are no good fishkeepers in Korea". See the difference? Even though you live there you don't KNOW all the fishkeepers in Korea, so you're not qualified to make that second statement, and doing so sounds tremendously snobbish/presumptuous...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
keeno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.11(Tue)6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies. I'm just mad because I've been to 20 consecutive LFSs for the past weeks and all of the customers are just looking for "the pretty fish". It's my mistake.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: