Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help - White Strings Hanging from Fancy Goldfish
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jfazio
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.24(Sun)8:21    Post subject: Help - White Strings Hanging from Fancy Goldfish Reply with quote

Hello:

My two fancy goldfish have white strings hanging from them. Even their eyes have it. And what falls off, floats throughout the water.

It happened after a weekly partial water change. I've had them two weeks now. The tank is a 29 gallon. There is nobody else in there. The water temp has been at 68 degrees after the fish store told me not to use my heater. I've just put the heater on, but at the lowest setting so as not to stress them further with a big increase in temperature.

One is listless and not eating. The other, although white is covering his head, is eating, but more listless than normal.

I've been feeding OSI Goldfish flakes. Today I gave them a bit of tubifex worms after reading that might be better.

I am also seeing some white spots on the end of their feathering. Am unsure as to whether that is from the strings, or if it's ick.

Should I treat for both symptoms? I've already added 2 1/4 capfuls of Maracyn Plus, whose active ingredients are Sulfadimidine and Trimethoprin.

Water parameters are nitrate=0; nitrite=0; hardness=25; chlorine=0; alkalinity=0; pH=6.2; ammonia=in between 0 and 0.5. I will do a water change again in a bit, but won't it remove the effective properties of the drug I added?

I appeciate your help.

Jeannie
jfazio
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.26(Tue)8:35    Post subject: Goldfish Update Reply with quote

Well, I awoke to find my fairly new pair of sweet fancy goldfish dead in their 29 gallon tank.

As stated in my original post over the weekend, they had a white slime covering most of their bodies, which was even floating around the tank. I did a partial water change then added the correct dosage of Marycn Plus on Sunday after discovering the problem late Saturday night. By Sunday night they seemed so much better. Last night, however, one had the white stuff on his eyes so, at the recommendation of this fish store employee (who diagnosed the problem as parasites), I added 29 drops of Quick Cure (1 drop per gallon were the instructions).

I think it was the Quick Cure, as they ate good and were acting perky just prior to adding it to their tank.

Warning about this stuff!
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.26(Tue)11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeannie,

Sorry to hear about your goldfish. Sad

I didn't see this post until now, so I'm sorry I couldn't try to help earlier. How long was the tank set up before you added fish? Did you cycle the tank? Because your nitrate level is 0 and there is an ammonia reading, it seems as though your tank is starting the nitrogen cycle. I realize it's too late to save your goldfish, but perhaps we can help prevent future problems.

In the future, if you have a sick fish please post in the Diseases and Disasters forum. Maybe someone will see your post sooner and be able to help...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: